Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whitegti

DSG & hill starts

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I had a slightly alarming experience yesterday in North Wales. The cars got about 300 miles on the clock so I've been taking it nice and easy, enjoying the relaxed drive after having had Type-R for the last 3 years.

I was forced to stop sharpish on a pretty steep hil. I'm sat there holding it on the brake with a couple of cars behind.

Once the traffic passed I lifted off the brake and the car rolled back quite a bit which surprised me so I hit the brake again - now what? I'm 8 inches closer to the bloke behind and a bit worried.

At this point natural instinct takes over, foot off the brake, boot full of throttle, the car rolls back even more, daren't look in the mirror... The clutch finally engages, huge amounts of wheelspin, impressive skid marks (on the road) and I'm off feeling like a boy racer who only passed his test last week.

Anyone else had any experiences of DSG starts on steep inclines? The missus and I often head off for weekends in dales, lakes, etc and I don't want to repeat the experience as I could easily have hit the car behind.

Thanks, Neil.

Hi,

It does but you are advised in the handbook not to use the handbrake to hold the car when it's in gear. You should always use the footbrake, otherwise they say tyhe clutch may overheat and if that happens it will disengage the clutch altogether and you aren't going anywhere if that happens until it cools the clutch back down. That works fine on average inclines but on a steep one the clutch engages far too slowly and you never really think of using the handbrake in what you really have to consider as an auto 'box.

I'm looking for somewhere steep and quiet so I can try a few ideas.

I don't want to be thinking should I go handbrake should I not everytime I stop on a hill.

Cheers, Neil.

You should either use the handbrake or use your left foot to hold the brake pedal down and the right one to press the accelerator until the cluthc bites at which point your can release your left foot.

Hi,

I think I'll try just easing the footbrake off real slow next time. Today it felt like that might help albeit on a very slight incline.

Apart from the hill start stuff I'm so glad I went for the DSG. I do a fair bit of town driving and it's just so smooth to be almost ridiculous as long as you don't hammer it off the line.

Even the missus has noticed how my driving has been alot calmer, mind you, once it's run in...

Neil.