Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alexgraham

Bi-xenon headlights

15 posts in this topic

Just noticed on the GTI website that you can now get bi-xenon headlights. Problem is that i ordered my car a month a go without them and wondered if anyone has been able to change the spec of their car after ordering?

I have had my car on order since Dec and it is still not built so I told the dealer and basically changed my complete order to get a car immediately. Had to change spec etc but ended up getting much better spec. There are some available now and they will have no probs selling your original order. Worth a try, u have nowt to loose.

I think you should be OK if you get your request in before the build date.

Have they always been bi-xenon? I added xenon to my order in mid Feb, will this be bi-xenon. I don't remember it mentioning "bi" on the price list but I could be wrong.

I ordered my car in January and the Bi-Xenons were available then - I have ordered them cool.gif

I made a change to my order last week and there was no problem, build week is 15

Just make sure you get Bi-xenon!! The R32 brochure stated that it had Bi-Xenons, but it didn't come with them!

VW have a habit of making 'errors' in their literature and not bothering to correct it.

smile.gif

In the Golf price list it states "Gas discharge (Xenon) dipped beam headlights".

Print Issue 4 list.. yet on the online configurator it does say bi-xenon!

Maybe someone that already has one with them on can clarify?

Yea, there does seem to be some confusion here.

My wife has a Lupo GTi and it states in the specs on the website.

" Gas discharge (Xenon) dipped beam with headlight washers and automatic height adjustment (without front fog lights)"

But she has Bi-Xenons, both Dip and Main Beam, on Main beam it is like daylight ahead cool.gif

So does anyone have a New Golf GTi with Xenons yet?

Will get on to the stealer tomorrow to see what they say. Been waiting over a month now and i've had no news of the build date. I'm a bit worried that if i add xenons to the order i might have to wait even longer

The way it works is that when you order a car, that logs you a place in the queue and you later get a build date. Just before they start making your motor, they input the details of the order into the system and the car has your special order bits added as required.

If the dealer tells you that your order has been put back because of a change you made, it'll be that you missed the cut off time, and had to be reallocated a slot. Or the dealer might just be talking pooh.

After having xenons for the first time on my current car they were (nearly) first on the options list for my eagerly awaited GTI. They make night driving so much easier and safer. Corroboration from AutoExpress 02/03/05 (product test on headlights):

Standard VW Golf: RATING ***

"City dwellers will find little to moan about with the Golf MkV's dip beam, as it provides good illumination up to 40m and is easily broad enough for drivers to keep an eye on side roads and pavements. On the motorway, though, the 50m range provides a patchy spread of light. Glare from stray illumination is also a problem."

Xenons VW Golf: RATING *****

"How much do you value safety? Well, for the Golf, the price is £725 - as that is what you will have to pay for its excellent xenon lights and the extra safety margin they provide. The set-up gives a superbly even spread of light, while the 70m beam is streets ahead of the halogen version (opposite). There's even less glare."

Mike

i have the Xenons and they are great...and yes they are bi Xenon beerchug.gif

Xenons on the R32 are not that good! They point about 10ft in front of the car!!!! frown.gif

The R32 is the first car I've had xenons on and I think they're superb.

Mind you I'm going to think this as the car I usually drive at night (99 Passat) headlights are absolute dung.gif in comparison.

Therefore xenons would be something I'd look for on my next motor without a doubt.