Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrfirepro

S8 Front pads and disks - Advice

20 posts in this topic

Just had the car in the stealers for some warranty work and they noted that my front pads were worn 90% anf that my disks were FUBAR.

He than smiled and told me he could do it for me for a special price of £550, but don't worry as that was an all inclusive price. (I should bl**dy think so)

Bollox to that I thought (much politer version to the dealer).

So hence my questions.

Audi kindly gave me all the part numbers I needed, so is this something that can be done DIY? I am reasonably handy and have a good array of tools, I also have the Bentley CD.

If I am replacing the disks, are there better performance disks for a 2002 S8? If so from where?

Are there any special tools needed?

Thanks in advance.....

See you all at MK next week 169144-ok.gif

Here is where to start!

I have just replaced all the discs on my 1996 8. The whole lot is quite simple. I'd suggest some 6 sided sockets to get things like the calliper carrier bolts undone. If yours are as tight as mine were a regular socket could muller the heads of the bolts!

This was my post from yesterweek linky

Oh yeah, if you gonna use OE parts, play one stealer against another to get a discount!

G'luck,

169144-ok.gif

ps, If you're ever over this way (Romford), I could be tempted to give you a hand....

Aren't your disks under warranty, mine were, I got them all replaced under warranty 4 months after I bought the car, they just charged me for pads and forgot to do that, so it was all free.

If you want OE parts then you should probably talk to VAG Parts they can usually undercut the stealer by a respectable margin.

From personal experience they're also friendly and knowledgeable. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If you want OE parts then you should probably talk to VAG Parts they can usually undercut the stealer by a respectable margin.

From personal experience they're also friendly and knowledgeable

[/ QUOTE ]

Here here (or hear hear). Very knowledgeable and approachable!

£550? I'll do it for you for £500!

Does sound a bit much - probably by a margin of at least £200.

Any kwik-Fit type place should be able to do it, but would you trust them. Other than that, then as Sneaky says, not too bad a job if you have the right tools - and Sneaky ready on the end of the phone!

169144-ok.gif

When I had my own drive/garage, I replaced front discs & pads on a Renault 25 and Vx Omega. And just the pads on many other cards. No probs really - the worst bit is trying to get the damn brake disc screw out!

I am trying the warranty line, just preparing for the worst.

The story is.................

Bought the car three months ago with 35K miles, the supplying dealer also did a service on it for me., nothing was said about brakes.

Now 3 months later and 7K miles, a different dealer has it in for some warranty work and tells me that the front disks are excessively worn.

So I have gone back to the original dealer saying they should have spotted or even worse did and didn't tell me.

What about aftermarket performance disk? are there any good ones? where from?

What ever happens I will probably end up doing it myself, so might need your number Sneaky.

Are there any differences between the 98 and 02 brake setup?

Hi Sneaky,

I work in Thurrock. Might take you up on your offer. Only one thing I insist on...............I'll buy the beerbeerchug.gif..................I know I may have to twist your arm, I can be quite persuasive when I want to be.

Thanks 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What about aftermarket performance disk? are there any good ones? where from?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fitted Black Diamond, Botang says good results with EBC RED Stuff(?) Who was it that recommended the BD's to me? They must be well worn in by now and can better (long term) appraisal?

[ QUOTE ]

the worst bit is trying to get the damn brake disc screw out!

[/ QUOTE ]

That was always best attacked with an impact driver, me thinks. But cars are rarely fitted with these screws now. The wheel bolts hold them on.

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Sneaky,

I work in Thurrock. Might take you up on your offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats cool. Just give at much notice as poss and we'll sort it. Have pm'd number

Thanks for your number Sneaky,

What sort of price were the BD's? where is the best place to get them from?

Did you inform your insurers?

Thanks

I did what I normally do when I have a big(ish) purchase to make. I have a company letterhead made up in my computer. I then fax the company a request to open a trade account. I give them some schpeil and go on to tell them that until the account is set up, all orders will be on a proforma basis, more schpeil, and to this end please fax back by return a proforma invoice for the goods listed below. I stress that the boss will be leaving the office today and I need the cheque signed. Call them in a few hours time and ask for the invoice to be faxed immediately, which they nearly always do. I then send a checue from my business account and they despatch the good upon receipt of the cheque. With the vat and delivery I paid £314 for all discs and pads. About 35% off I think?

They're happy for the money up front, I get me schitt cheaper! Sounds like a lot of bother, but only takes about 1 hour to arrange with a supplier. The contact is made now so yours will take 10 mins to arrange. Half mine and my best friends houses are furnished like this! (hence the tag Sneaky wink.gif )

Just looking at what I sent them. They must have me asked for a Purchase order, cause that is what I have here.

Malcom Hewitt

Black Diamond Performance

Unit 2, Birley Street

Fort Street Ind. Est.

Blackburn, Lancs.

BB1 5DR

T 01254 584784

F 01254 584785

If your feeling particularly trusting and you really want to front me the money. EEK2.GIF I'll order them for you? They can poss get delivered anywhere, I had the last lot delivered to the local car wash that I use (suggesting it was one of my outlets). If I had them delivered to my Jewellery Workshop, I'd have had to drive into town to collect them SLEEP5.GIF

Do you want me to get you a quote? If yes, let me get the quote first, then you call or they may play up to get more money from you?

You can pm year and model of your car.

<font color="blue"> Edit: I see you in a 2000 S8. I have taken the liberty of emailing Malcolm </font>

EBC make red stuff pads, but they dont make the disc yet and are in the process but could be well over 4 weeks.

Give Motech a call if you want the red stuff pads (01933) 316066

£550! There taking the p***

I got quoted £440 from a stealer in Notts to replace disk and pads.

Then took them in to kwik fit-esq garage who checked them out, told me the disks were fine and replaced the pads for £109!

Think we need to start some kind of campaign against the Audi stealers in the UK!!!

Hope you get them sorted btw. ;-)

Have they moved?

Called them up, they have no fitment for a S8 of that year frown.gif

Postal Address:

Black Diamond Performance

Unit 4

Telletholme Industrial Estate

Tollgate Road

Burscough

Lancashire

L40 8RT

Telephone:

01704 893939

Fax:

01704 893899

Thank Sneaky,

Looks like the next time I want anything....your the manbeerchug.gif.

I've got to say I'm just itching to try it.

Thanks again.

Dont work with Hi-Fi frown.gif But furniture is good, as is kitchens etc.

Thanks for the help.

I finally did the disks and pads, took me less than 25mins and £250 for the parts. What a rip off by the stealer (£550)fekr.gif. If anyone is thinking of doing this it is mega easy and all that is required is a large alan key and a pair of pliers.Oh and the bits to take the wheel off. 169144-ok.gif

You can always rely on the stealer to take you for a ride.

Well done Mr!