Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sixgunrick

Ridiculous Renault forum post

7 posts in this topic

Now i own a clio 182 which is a fantastic car, (and have a Mk V GTI on order to go with it) but i could not help but want to share this Megane owner's views with some Golf lovers....

'All is well and good comapring GTI vs 225, I personally a Renault man, would have the 225. But, the GTI isn't the VW performance arm model that the Renaultsport 225 is, surely the R32 model, not yet released would fill that void and may or may or may not blast the 225 away, but I do hope not! Surely its wiser to compare like for like; ie. Golf GTI and Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique or the top of the range standard equivalent? Or am I way off the boil here?'

Sixgunrick... what renault forum are you on. My mate wants an ice>link for his Megane and needs some advice 169144-ok.gif

To an extent the point is valid, the Clio 182 is a better example as I found the standard and cup versions handle very differently and one obviously has Renault Sport suspension package and I felt did handle better when driving the two back to back, but I guess in all honesty you are only ever going to feel the differences if you get to drive all versions back to back, although I would expect the R32 newbie to be 2 more cyl in capacity and so will feel very different from a turbo unit to drive - and if VW continue down their current path the VW dealers will be equally comparablel for service with the Renault ones!!!!

I suppose the R32 is the VW performance model and the 225 the Renault equivalent, but in practical terms the 225 competes with the Golf GTI due to their similar price and performance. If you put that aside and try to compare between these two companies hatchback models, the GTI actually has no direct rival from Renault. To compare it to the 2.0 VVT dynamique is plain ridiculous.

The reason the GTI has become so popular is because it almost defines a new class. Finally you can have a hot hatch that is refined. Something that looks mean yet not overstated. Comfortable but not soft and spongy. Safe and practical but still lots of fun.

I wouldn't dream buying a 225 over the GTI.

[ QUOTE ]

The reason the GTI has become so popular is because it almost defines a new class. Finally you can have a hot hatch that is refined. Something that looks mean yet not overstated. Comfortable but not soft and spongy. Safe and practical but still lots of fun.

I wouldn't dream buying a 225 over the GTI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more 169144-ok.gif