Am I the only one?

Highlander

[ QUOTE ]

The QUATTRO on todays cars is not the same that sowed the rally and BTCC seeds back then!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but then you shouldn't make a sweeping generalistation about Quattro. Be more specific, it is as varied as different cars in the range.

[ QUOTE ]

proper Quattros use Torsen central diff. There is a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quattro is a brand name... if audi decide to brand their Haldex system with it then it IS a proper Quattro as far as they are concerned. I agree the Torsen system is better, but i want to know why evosnapper thinks "Quattro is a poor mans all wheel drive"

Going back to Alfas, we use a Vauxhall dealer to service our vans and they are also an Alfa franchise. Now Vauxhalls have improved alot of late but are still average on reliability/service. We've got to know the service manager well and he tells us straight about Vauxhalls short comings, when we asked him about the quality of the Alfas he said it was shocking and a constant nightmare. There is no back up from Alfa regarding problems and no one knows what to do if there is something out of the ordinary. He said they made Vx's look like Rolls Royces EEK2.GIF Be afraid, very afraid.

I think that any car that drives the front wheels in normal circumstances and then when slip is detected at the front provides the relevant power to either of the rear wheels should not be branded as QUATTRO, have you ever wondered what steps in first the ESP or T/C, or the HALDEX when slip is detected? I for one took my old S3 out on a airfield in the wet to see the difference and found with ESP disengaged slight rumbling understeer turned to full on nasty understeer when the power was delivered to the rear. I find it difficult to believe that any engineer can get the best out of a car when it has been set up to drive 99.9% of the time with front wheel drive to suddenly be able to switch to all four wheels being driven with out a problem!!

This is why the last generation of A3/TT and this generation of A3 QUATTRO are a bit of fraud, if you are going to sell a car on the fact that it is 4 wheel drive then the car needs to be permenant 4 wheel drive and set up as such.

I've been lucky enough to own enough cars to know the difference with the old Lancia integrale being the best I've had.

[ QUOTE ]

I think that any car that drives the front wheels in normal circumstances and then when slip is detected at the front provides the relevant power to either of the rear wheels should not be branded as QUATTRO,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not???? confused.gif

Why would the car power all 4 wheels if they're not needed?

It has the ability to power all the wheels, that's the definition of AWD over 4WD (And AWD is what Quattro is all about) If you want 4WD, buy a Defender! smashfreakB.gif

anyway we could go on all day, you've had S3's and you've had Lancia's, so you know your sh!t... Quattro might not be the hard core enthusiasts choice, but it's not the poor mans choice. It's a well proven performance setup for most people who don't drive everywhere like Shumacker. Anyway, it's going in the R36 and I bet any money a GTI too at some point, possibly the Anni. ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Going back to Alfas, we use a Vauxhall dealer to service our vans and they are also an Alfa franchise. Now Vauxhalls have improved alot of late but are still average on reliability/service. We've got to know the service manager well and he tells us straight about Vauxhalls short comings, when we asked him about the quality of the Alfas he said it was shocking and a constant nightmare. There is no back up from Alfa regarding problems and no one knows what to do if there is something out of the ordinary. He said they made Vx's look like Rolls Royces EEK2.GIF Be afraid, very afraid.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case alfa's must be bad, I had a vectra sri 16v turbo diesel for a company car for 3 years and 120000 miles, for the amount of things that went wrong, the jobs that weren't done as promised, and for the times I was promised a courtesy car to no avail, I would NEVER consider spending my hard earned cash on a Vauxhall or recomend them in any way, even to my worst enemy..... With that in mind those Alfa's must be the worst cars in the history of the universe..... Sorry was I generalising..... Maybe I should by VW as I will never, ever, ever have even the slightest niggle.....