Renault 5 Gordini Turbo Alpine

N3WOB

[ QUOTE ]

In 1976, Renault launched the R5 Alpine with a 1397cc 4 cyclinder engine producing 93bhp. From the outside it looked exactly like the standard R5 apart from the Alpine logo on the side. Fitted with a 5 speed gearbox, the car was potent if not a little noisy. It was capable of over 110mph. In 1979 it won the group 5 section of the Monte Carlo rally. In that year it was introduced into Britain, where it was known as the 5 Gordini so as not to be confused with the Chrysler Alpine

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe your getting the Gordini rear engined renault 5 mixed up with the Renault 5 turbo which was a developement of the Gordini

[ QUOTE ]

The Renault 5 Turbo was built for Motorsport to follow in the footsteps of the rear engined Renault 8 Gordini and the A110 Berlinetta.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cars in the picture were called Turbo 2's in the U.K.

There was also a Turbo 1 that was produced in much less numbers and was very quick.The Turbo 2 IIRC had a 160bhp incarnation of the GT Turbo 1400 engine.My friend had one back in the day and while it handled well it wasn't really any quicker than the GTT! crazy.gif

Turned heads though that's for sure! 169144-ok.gif

• 2 months later...

There was one of them wide-bodied 5's for sale in my village recently. Guy wanted about £8k for it. I had a nosy and it's very early 80's inside - mrs wouldn't let me have it - apparently you can get a 2nd hand Freelander for that money! Yippeeee! (!!? - women!!?)

It was Renault's wildchild of the 80s, I suppose the 80's version of the Clio V6. I can see those being worth about £8k in 15 years time!

As you say - a proper headturner though.

Definately one for my own 'car collection' should my balls drop on a Saturday night - so to speak.

• 4 months later...

[ QUOTE ]

The Gordini 5's weren't turbod.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was definitely a Gordini Turbo model. A friend's step dad had one when we were at school. Standard looking shell, but different wheels and plenty of extras (for the day) inside. I think it was an '84 A-reg.

169144-ok.gif

Edited to say: Just did a quick Google search and came across this page.

It's the same colour as the one I mentioned above. tongue.gif

• 2 months later...

Hi,

The Renault 5 Gordini has 4 cyl 1397cc engine with 93 bhp, Renault 5 Gordini Turbo has same engine but with 110 bhp, Renault 5 turbo 1 and 2 has same engine but mid mounted (hence flared rear arches and cooling ducts) with 160 bhp as standard or 180 bhp with stage 1 kit, 210 bhp with stage 2 kit or 240 bhp with stage 3 kit + more in rally trim.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Drove a Turbo 2 when new and can say it was definitely quicker than a later std GTT which I also ran as my own car. However, being rear engined more of a handful as you'd expect.

The Turbo 2 was a contemporary of the 5 Gordini and Gordini Turbo, so a bit of a step up.

These were available in the metallic Blue which you couldn't get on the std R5 and also had a deeper front bumper. The 5 Gordini Turbo felt bloody quick in it's day, but I imagine would be quite slow by modern standards!

• 1 year later...
The cars in the picture were called Turbo 2's in the U.K.

There was also a Turbo 1 that was produced in much less numbers and was very quick.The Turbo 2 IIRC had a 160bhp incarnation of the GT Turbo 1400 engine.My friend had one back in the day and while it handled well it wasn't really any quicker than the GTT! crazy.gif

Turned heads though that's for sure! 169144-ok.gif

:roflmao::roflmao:

is very good

thanks