Life expectancy of Suspension?

AnArtist1

The road is Honister Pass, Lake District.

The Recall, if I recall, something was done suspension wise(allegedly) when I bought it.

The noise occurs at low speeds over bumpy surfaces, it sounds as if its a high noise. Can't find anything loose on the left hand side of the car, the air intake (on the right) rattles a little.

On full lock there is sometimes a bit of a clunk?!

I can't really tell if its a rattle or a knock but it is here to stay what ever it is.

Might be a Track Rod End?

Not sure if poking it with a stick will get it to move. They take a lot of effort to move them!

If it is that, should not cost much to do. Track Rod Ends are about £30 MAX and 1 hr to fit MAX at a Stealer. balancing, steering stuff and all that, need to be done after.

He says hopefully!!!!

We had a rattle for years it turned out to be a top link in the suspension. I'l try to get you a pisture later. Was just a muted rattle that could be heard if you weren't 'Tumping' (the stereo) and could feel slight play/wobble through the s/wheel.

Post track-rod, you'll need some wheel alignment. EEK2.GIF Stealers want £200+ for the full jobbie, recently a stealer said they do a part w/a. Never been told this before mad.gif

399182-Suspension001.JPG

Try to get actual photo if you need, lemmy'know.

That partial wheel alignment will be a toe in check I'd bet, any good tyre place can do a 4 wheel laser alignment toe in of the front wheels for about £20 or less, if all you've done is change track rod ends, that should be fine, as castor/camber etc won't have altered. grin.gif

I'd be interested to know what you find. I've got a similar problem on my S8, sounds like something loose on the front. Local garage said "cant find anything wrong". Its now having some work done under warranty (seal on rear of gearbox\output shaft) and i've asked them to take a look too.. Will let you know if they find anything.. confused.gif

My mechanic says its probably a Ball socket thingy and the track rod end is responsible for the 'Gerbil' sound effects from the rack in the damp. He is going to have a thorough look on Thursday. gave him the diagram from Sneaky (thanks) and it all made sense.

Will let you know after that.

Cheers for the assistance.

Hey guys,

I've just changed all my front links and track rod ends today!! (What a complete pain in the arse that was!!) and although much better handling now, I'm still getting a clunky rattling noise on bumpy roads from the front somewhere!, so it's just occured to me that the only thing left that it could be is the suspensiuon strut top mountings, you can't tell by pushing or pulling at them as everything is so heavy and tied together that nothing shows any play when it's up on the ramp, but I bet thats the culprit, so I'll let you know when I've changed them if it cures it, so don't forget to get your mechanic to check these too!!

Paul N

The Good news: smile.gif

Clonking suspension has been cured. The mechanic spent over 2hours checking everything, concluded all is well. He then noticed the Front Left Calliper was slightly loose! Just a millimetre of play was making all the noises. He stripped it down and tightened everything CURED!!! Hurrah!!

He charged me £50 Hurrah!! x2 grin.gif

The Bad news:

I can hear all the other squeaks now!! mad.gif

Thanks for the help chaps 169144-ok.gif

• 1 month later...