Photo
- - - - -

Roof mounted TFT/DVD player - installation help?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 a4tdi130

a4tdi130

BMW 330d

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:43 PM

I've bought a 9" roof mounted dvd player/combined screen for my new car which I pick up tomorrow.

I was wondering - what is the best way to mount the plate that comes with these roof mounting dvd players / tft screens to the roof of the car? I have no problem cutting holes in the roof trim or running cables, or with the electronics side of things, but as I can't drill in to the roof (for obvious reasons!) to screw the plate to the roof, I assume it has to be bonded... what would be the best stuff to use?

I fitted one in my last car using normal "no more nails" and it seemed to work, but that was a 6" screen and didn't have the DVD player built in. This new unit is quite a lot heavier, and it will have to take the extra force of being "handled" whilst the kids load and remove DVD's from it. Once fitted, I never want it to be taken off, so what's the strongest, best, way of mounting it to the roof? Does anybody know how the professional installers do it - do they bond it, or do they weld it, etc?

Thanks!

#2 mattcony

mattcony

Volkswagen Golf GTi

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:25 PM

Isn't the mounting plate ment to go behing the headlining and you then just make a few holes in the lining to screw through, doesn't the plate have any type of captive nut to it in each corner ?

Thats how I have mounted them in the past

cheers
matt

#3 a4tdi130

a4tdi130

BMW 330d

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:53 PM

It would fit behind the lining - but I don't fancy having that sort of weight being held up just by the lining as I would have thought it would "sag", especially when folding the screen down.

If that's the proper way to do it though then that's very useful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Perhaps I could do both - fit it behind the lining but also still "glue" it to the roof panel, that way the bond would take all the weight but should it give way it would still have the roof lining to take the weight. The way I did my last one was to cut a square out of the lining the same dimensions as the panel, so it was separate to the lining.

#4 Tomk

Tomk

Porsche Carrera 4S

• Members
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:52 PM

remember to post picts !
dont argue with an idiot they will just drag you down to there level and beat you on experiance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users