Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yahoo

Remap advice

12 posts in this topic

I bought a recent VW Performance Magazine. They had a MKV GTI that AMD have been working on. It appears that AMD have a Stage 1 Remap which gives an extra 50bhp for approx £600. This sounds great and drops the 0-60 time to sub 6 secs.

However, I believe that a remap will invalidate manufacturers warrenty. Do any of you know which part of the manufacturers warrenty is invalidated (certain components or the entire warrenty), and do AMD provide a warrenty to cover any problems.

I would look at Oettinger / MTM / ABT or other German tuners for the remap - all have TUV approval and thus guarentee a minimum gain and offer insurance backed warrenties.

Any work carried out will invalidate warernty directly related to the moddified part, so increase in power then they might argue gearbox problems, drivetrain problems, brake problems are related to the increase in power and thus not covered, but it would not affect the warrenty on teh stereo (for example) as the performance of the car has no bearing on the sound system working correctly.

Do we know where Wayside are up to with approving AMD mods/work & thereby not invalidating warranties?

They are not far away - apart from the invalidate warrenties aspect of it - the same 'insurance backed' warrenty should still apply - that coupled with not telling Audi UK when warrenty claims are made perhaps.

I think they can pretty much offer you now anythign you want, but I am fairly certain the same warrenty limitations will ultimately apply.

AMD,s remap is invisable to dealers, im having my mk5 GTi remap this weekend at AMD. My wifes R32 has been re-mapped by AMD & has had warranty work carried out by VW without a problem.

it isnt actually invisible, it just that the dealers dont look.

In i would guess 99% of rempas warrenty work will still be carried out by the dealer, the problems occur when modifications become more visible.

ALso VW Racing any time now will be offering same work as the VW Racing GTi has had done.

The VW racing car was remapped by Superchips. They can achieve +46 bhp for £511.

This is extremely tempting, but I still have concerns that I could invalidate my manufacturers warrenty on expensive components such as the DSG system.

Is there any mileage in talking to VAG/my dealer about this?

[ QUOTE ]

AMD,s remap is invisable to dealers, im having my mk5 GTi remap this weekend at AMD. My wifes R32 has been re-mapped by AMD & has had warranty work carried out by VW without a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

mrkgti is your wife's car Blue and do you have a Mk1 GTi as well?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, don't talk about the MK1 moneypit!! jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, don't talk about the MK1 moneypit!! jump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I live around the corner then 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that is actually true, AMD have remapped mine, and the dealer spotted it. They say when they do a diagnostic test, a hash icon appears showing there has been fettling.

On the plus side, I have had experience now at a couple of dealers, and it will only invalidate your warranty if there is a direct problem with the remap. I.e if your wheel falls off, it will be under warranty.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Do we know where Wayside are up to with approving AMD mods/work & thereby not invalidating warranties?

[/ QUOTE ]

should be ok as they sell the kit via their relationship with Amd anyway sekret.gif