How do i get a showroom finish??

steve09

Hello,i've always took the time to give my cars a good clean,but recently being hearing about alot more cleaning products. I normaly wash my car and than give it a good wax with something like Autoglym car polish. I've been going through some sites and see that alot of people go on about using clay bar on their car, what does this attually do? I also hear people saying that they get a wet look finish on their cars after they have waxed them,is this some sort of special wax?

If anyone could help me on this topic, or give me some advice it would be a good help..

Cheers...

Paint surfaces:

1.Car wash concentrate- Groit’s Car Wash

2.Detailer’s clay- Clay Magic (Blue)

3.Machine polish abrasive choice is dependant upon condition of paint surface

4.Machine polish 1- Iz einzett Ultra Paint Polish

5.Machine polish 2- Iz einzett Paint Polish

6.Machine polish 3- Iz einzett Metallic Polish

7.Chemical cleaner- Klasse All-In-One

8.Polymer sealant- Zanio Z2PRO™

9.Carnauba wax- Pinnacle Souverän Wax

10.Booster spray-

11.Quick detailer- Pinnicle Crystal Mist

Surface Prep for Zaino or Menzerna

JonM

How do you get a show room finish?

Scrub the car with a brillo pad?

If you are wanting a concourse finish then follow the advice from the old grey whistle test.

Zymol cleaner wax is a combo paint cleaner and wax all in one and is in fact made by turtle wax, check the back it should say made in skelmersdale or somewhere like that!

It won't give you a concourse finish but may go some way towards that showroom finish! Especially if you use an old t shirt to apply it FIREdevil.gif

Getting a showroom/concourse finish depends far less on what products you use, and far more about preparation of the paint surface.

Claybar cleans the paint. Next you need a polish... if you are not going to use a buffer. Then you need a coat of wax.

If the paint surface is good, you only need a coat of wax, one coat will usually do.

Some products are designed to fill micro-scratches and these will work to a degree, but if you want a showroom finish, these scratches need to be removed, not just hidden, and this will require machine buffing.

I use Swissol and get superb results - Shield wax. Others use it too but it is expensive and you probably can't tell the difference between it and some of the lesser priced products out there. I used to use Autoglym but it never gave me that good a finish.

In fact, Swissol's own literature says that one of their waxes goes "beyond the perception of shiney": does this mean you can't see the extra shine?? smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I dont really trust the machine polishers, can anyone tell me what the clay bar actually does?

[/ QUOTE ]

Detailer's cleaning clay is a soft pliable plastic bar that contains abrasives to remove embedded pollutants by encapsulation or shearing, lifting debris from the paint film surface and leaves behind an ultra-smooth surface that will make your paint protection adhere better and improve its durability

unfortunately klasse [Autoglym] pinnacle[Zymol Destiny] menzerna [3M]and zaino[ again Autoglym, but it lacks the optical clarity of Zaino] are not available in the uk, all good products shame we cant get them. id love to try some pinnacle souveran wax [better thanZymol Destiny and much, much cheaper-you won’t regret buying it] as well, maybe ill import it! yes sad i know.

Souveran, i got direct from pinnacle, the first batch i ordered on net and then next time i got some when i went to stuart fl. Paint cleanse is like a pre polish, i think zymol do one call hd cleasne. Autopia did a group buy a few weeks ago perhaps if there is enough interest,Tsn could do the same. Also before you order check out autopia as they tend to have discount vouchers that can save 15%.

And sorry yes elbow grease should have been included 169144-ok.gif

Just been following this thread. Can anyone recommend a decent claybar and will it remove minor surface scratches ?

Would you believe I just hit a bloody pheasant which flew out of a clump of trees right in front of me, hit the bonnet and then windscreen.

My wife asked if the bird was okay, who cares, it scratched my lovely new car so deserves everything it gets !

2005 BMW 530D Sport - Carbon Black

[ QUOTE ]

Just been following this thread. Can anyone recommend a decent claybar and will it remove minor surface scratches ?

Would you believe I just hit a bloody pheasant which flew out of a clump of trees right in front of me, hit the bonnet and then windscreen.

My wife asked if the bird was okay, who cares, it scratched my lovely new car so deserves everything it gets !

[/ QUOTE ]

Meguairs Clay Bar is ok.. I dont think you'll get much difference in what stuff clay bars can pick up off your paint and No it wont get rid of scratches...

For scratches.. I'd say it depends on how deep they are before you can say this or that product would do the job

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meguairs Clay Bar is ok.. I dont think you'll get much difference in what stuff clay bars can pick up off your paint and No it wont get rid of scratches...

For scratches.. I'd say it depends on how deep they are before you can say this or that product would do the job

[/ QUOTE ]

They are just minor surface scratches running from half way up the bonnet to the wiper.

I tried removing them with Megs stage 1 cleaner but they were still there.

I heard that claybars remove minor surface scratches but maybe this isn't the case. Is it worth investing in one anyway ?

The patent for clay bars is held by a chap from Japan and he has it sewn up so tight that all clay bars are made by the same company. So appart from slight differences, they are all pretty much the same, appart from they come in three grades. Only the softest one is sold retail.

Thanks for info Dan , you've saved me a few quid as I was about to purchase the Zymol Claybar thinking it would be superior .

Can you advise on anything to remove the fine scratches ?

Steve09 - I believe the the paint cleanse removes minor oxidation, old wax etc, off the paint and gives you a better base to apply wax . I bought the Megs stage 1 last week but found it very difficult to remove, really hard work. It didn't seem to dry fully and was quite sticky to remove.

I believe the HD Cleanse from Zymol is excellent, I should have spent a few more £s and bought that one.

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for info Dan , you've saved me a few quid as I was about to purchase the Zymol Claybar thinking it would be superior .

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want superior, you need to be on the look out for the origional claybay, which isn't manufactured out of plastic, but is actually riverbed clay. I still haven't got a definite price for these, but my enquires tell me that if you can get them, they will be about £45. I'll be trying to get one in the next few weeks, I'll let you know how I get on.

The only way to actually REMOVE scratches is to buff them out. Otherwise their are plenty of products on the market designed to hide them.