Importing Integra DC5

benson01

Anyone done this? What are the things to look out for when importing cars from japan. How much should you expect to pay for the service part of what an importer does (paperwork/milometer conversion/underseal work etc). I see 2001 tegs going for £16k. is that a bit steep?

Just imported a tommi red evo VI TME from japland, so know a bit about this.

Some companies will charge you a commision, which isn't so great (for you !), some companies charge a set fee, this I think is better. Whichever, you must check to see if the car price includes the 17.5% vat and 10% duty.

The sva conversion varies, especially as the model report price varies, but generally the whole sva i.e mileage converter / foglights / power derestriction etc etc, including tax and registration should cost around £900 to £1300. Reckon about three quarters of it is the sva stuff.

Take it from me it is a nightmare to do on your own, so much red tape etc, would recommend leaving all to the sva people at the ports.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice. Was your Evo still a bargain compared to UK though. I can't see where a Teg 2001 with 20-

30k on it comes in at £15-16k. I thought cars in Japan were cheaper to start with. That's £5k more than they would be in UK (if sold here). Sounds like a premium is placed on the car for it's rarity value. Maybe it's still a good deal. Not sure...

If I must confess, I have made a great deal on the car. Considering how much a good condition EVO VI tommi makinen in tommi red is worth in the U.K, I have purchaed the car from an import company for a pretty decent price (can't really say anymore !)The best thing was I used a company that only charged a 1-off fee, and they included all fees to get the car into our ports, this includes the 17.5% and 10% duties, plus costoms fees and marine insurance etc. Personally I don't know how the import company have managed to secure me such a good deal, considering the hidden costs that have taken away from me.

The best thing about importing from Japland is the quality of the vehicle, the apparent care that is taken looking after the vehicles (bear in mind all cars in Japland are restricted to 112 mph for their entire life over there) and obviously the low mileage, due to their high pollution.

Just because I can't resist it, I have attached a port photo of the car that is now on the ship coming over

post-9031-137914305026_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone done this? What are the things to look out for when importing cars from japan. How much should you expect to pay for the service part of what an importer does (paperwork/milometer conversion/underseal work etc). I see 2001 tegs going for £16k. is that a bit steep?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a Japanese 4X4 and performance car importer in Whymondham in Norfolk.They will take care of all the Paperwork and the saftey stuff for you.i wanted a Honda Beat a couple of years ago and they were very helpful.The only thing that stopped me was the Insurance cost!I can get details if you require them.

• 2 weeks later...

Most imports are Grp 20 but of course as you may well know, there are many factors that count towards the actual cost of insurance. Browsing the DC5 forum will give you many examples of peeps' costs in the Insurance sub-forum, and the best insurance companies used. But you'll not truly know until you get some quotes.

• 1 month later...

Hi people im new on here, look after a little company called cruise sport and noticed early some one talking about Ben Linney All i can say is he is a top guy highly reconmend him, he lent us a Honda DC5 2001 for a show we had in brighton i loved the car so much, if it had an extra 100 bhp i would of brought it from him that weekend. They are such a nice car. He does such a good job at bringing in cars his place is filled with stunning cars any way check out his web site. www.gt-culture.com or www.linney.org.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a bit on the steep side - how much have you got to spend?? I know a man in Japan (who's name isn't Dan!) that'll be able to find one for you. PM me if interested.

• 2 months later...