Does build quality really matter?

ChadW

Ok, having owned Peugeots then a couple of Audis, hence my TSN presence (still) and now back to Pug, yes you cannot deny that french metal is quit plastic when compared to german galvanised steel!

Mean whenever I close my boot on my coupe it feels so light and flimsy, feel like I can pull it off altogether with one arm.

Then again does this really matter, if someone hits your car it's gonna dent anyway and it does not leak, no paint bleamishes on it, so to the naked eye it looks no different to any other car. Also while my interior was not made by peugeot (well centre console itself was but nothing else) it still feels cheaper than the materials used in my old A3. Then again when you are in the car you bum and back touches the seats and you hand touches the steering wheel, well I have Ferrari leather seats in my Coupe and a leather stearing wheel and gear knob so while the dash is not as good quality as Audi I don't touch it evertyime I am in the car thinking well this could be a bit stronger! Like I say does it matter? Not in my case as I feel in luxury due to all my leather gear (ooeer!).

Then again if I was paying about £20k for hatchback again then I would want the Audi feel, and lets face it Audi in particular do the interiors spot on.

Any thoughts on this, in particular from this Renualt or I mean French topic forum? Does it matter that your car is plastic as long as it does what you want and goes like the dogs?

I'm not sure quality of dash etc. is of utmost importance but you have to think if the company has built the interior and body solidly then they have probably done a good job with the mechanicals too.As far as I'm concerned though,as long as a car isn't rattly and doesn't feel flimsy then it's built well enough for most people.

However,having just bought a 944 I can honestly say that the "clunk" the door makes when shutting is an arguement for build quality if ever there was one.It makes you feel good before you've even started it up,which I think is the reason Audi owners are so loyal to the marque!

I dont think that Audi even get close to teh clunk you geet when closing the door of a porsche or older merc. They are nicely built, but our Clio to be honest looked cheap but wasnt that bad and as said it did all the jobs you would hope for evry well.

The thing is as well, the Audi and VW are 'built better' but how come they never feature very well in reliability surveys compared to other marques, particually Japanese ones who are renown for having 'cheap' interiors?

[ QUOTE ]

The thing is as well, the Audi and VW are 'built better' but how come they never feature very well in reliability surveys compared to other marques, particually Japanese ones who are renown for having 'cheap' interiors?

[/ QUOTE ]

With the risk of getting loads of abusive posts,I don't think that the German reliability has ever been up to that of the Japs.I can say this with a degree of experience having owned Golfs/Scirrocos/Audis(all old now,but they weren't when I owned them),they would always give mechanical trouble long before any Honda/Nissan I've ever owned or known of.The tolerances the Japs use are just that little bit better than anyone else but almost as a trade in for this superb reliability you have to suffer bland interiors,mediocre handling(Type R's aside)and car's that just don't feel that special.The Germans have a habit of making you feel like you're in a special car even when it's not top-of-the-range.

My friends NSX is a prime example-it has done over 100k now and hardly missed a beat,it's very,very quick and he drives it hard.Yet get in it and you'd wonder how the hell they ever justified the price tag.

That was the trouble with my prev. Audis well put together but the electrics and 'plastic' parts of the engine were naff!

AFter the TT went back for 3rd time I got shot of it, before that my A3 was a better all round car but the coil packs went on that, did not feel like driving once that had happended as I was not sure it would happen again. So thats why I do not honestly think when it comes to cars how well the dashboard is put together or whether you door make a clank or a clunk when you shut it matters anymore, well not to me anyhow.

Saying that although my 406 coupe has a Pug badge on it the door is so big and long, that it makes a proper clunk sound just like my prev. Audis!

I guess it depends on personal taste and requirements. To me build quality is important because I see a car as a major purchase and a car with better build quality will most likely have better residuals which for me is important when I come to sell it.

I can see your point on the dash to a degree but it is the all round package. IMO a well put together interior is a much nicer environment to be in. Also, cheaper interiors are generally not as easy to keep clean.

It is each to their own but in overall answer to your question for me it has to be yes.

Not too sure about the all-round package argument, all very wishy washy really, personally I accept that some people like the better residuals but I buy a car to use not as an investment. IMHO if the car goes well on a day to day basis then do not care about plastic interiors, My A3 broke down and after I did not want it whether or not I was surrounded by a nice interior, also found my Peugeot a lot easier to clean inside than the A3 btw.

• 1 month later...

The dash in my 106 Gti looks like its travelled fron the Eighties, but, to be honest i don't look at it... I have leather seats that everyone say are really comfy, a good driving position, and sh!t-hot handling... why worry unless it falls to pieces, which it doesn't! wink.gif