Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CorporalCarrot

Almost Embarassed to Ask this :)

11 posts in this topic

Folks

I'm on the lookout for a new car and am in somewhat of a dilemma. I currently drive a 2002 BMW 318ci (company car) but am opting out of the company scheme shortly (cos it makes huge financial sense). I have been considering 3 options.

1) Buy the company car off the company. Hugely attractive cos I can buy it for book value (Which is substantially less than mkt). I know its a clean car which has been immaculately maintained, has only 20k miles on it and I love the interior (I have all the toys, leather, harman/kardon sounds blah blah blah). Downsides are that its obviously not new and I am on private servicing now, plus its a manual and we've recently switched offices to a place where a daily grinding commute is part of my life. I wish I had gotten an auto at times.

2) Get a new 3er. Not sure whether I'm that impressed though. See BMW forum for my test drive review. Can't get one here in Ireland until September at this stage anyway which means January 06 really.

3) I recently took the golf GTI for a test drive and I must say, it was the best fun I have had in a car in ages. It also appeals to me cos I can get the DSG and thus have the best of both worlds (sort of) as regards auto for my daily traffic grind with a bit of quasi-manual fun for back road blasting. Also, where I live is on street parking so I like the idea of having something thats much easier to park.

My ONLY qualm about the GTI and this is where the embarassment bit comes in.....is the size of the boot blush.gif I play golf every sunday and give a lift on alternate weekends to a mate of mine. I have serious reservations about my ability to get two sets of clubs plus 2 powakaddys in there.

So I wanted to ask the question, is there anyone else out there who carries similar loads......I presume this can only be done by folding down the rear seats. I know that sounds simple in theory but I wonder would it become a PITA in real life?

Please don't kill me for asking this question. I know a true GTI owner should be driving his car and not poncing around with girly sports like golf etc etc but unfortunately I'm hooked on both.

Plus the Sunday morning 28 mile backroad blast to the golf club is actually the most enjoyment I get out of a car.

C

ironically i don't think you can get a set of clubs in it (i think i read it somewhere, about the irony of it) But fold down the seats and you'll get 4 sets in. Feck, i wedged an 8ft pine tree in mine once!

Well actually you can....the boot is plenty big enough.

I sometimes pick up a mate to go to my Golf club and we both have 8.5 to 9.0 inch bags (stop sniggering at the back !! the_finger.gif) plus one powakaddy and a normal cart. All go in the mk 5 boot just fine - with the exception of my Ping G2 driver that needs to be taken out of the bag and put on the back seat...

Easy, buy a GTI 169144-ok.gif

(or did I mention that mine is for sale...?? grin.gifices_blah.gif)

On a side issue, did you realise you would have to pay tax on the difference between the book value of the BMW and what you pay for it if you went down that path?

Get an A3 Sportback as an alternative maybe ?

You can get it in the 2.0 T FSI DSG or manual Quattro versions. A bit better quality than the Golf and a better stereo etc. to boot. Just a thought. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

On a side issue, did you realise you would have to pay tax on the difference between the book value of the BMW and what you pay for it if you went down that path?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, totally lost me there Andy ?! smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, totally lost me there Andy ?! smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Was referring back to his original idea to buy his company BMW.

According to my accountant, if the company gives you, or sells to you at below market value, an asset then tax is liable on the difference. Did it with a previous car I owned but we got round the tax issue by the company loaning me the difference to buy it at market value and the loan never becoming payable (it's legit up to a certain amount). It's partly my company though so prob not an option in this case

Think this would depend on whether the company actually owned the car and therefore it is an asset or whether the car is leased from a leasing company. If it is leased then it is not a company asset.

If it was leased the company couldn't sell it to you smashfreakB.gif