Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tonywalker

New car arrived today

13 posts in this topic

Picked up my new car at 5:30 tonight. Red 3 door DSG with paddles, 18" wheels, phone and Sat-nav. First impression. Absolutely fantastic. I know what it's like waiting (4 months)so,I will give you some of my impessions - bear in mind - I've only had it 2 hours - First supprise was the phone, they have put it in a really good position, and it looks really slick. I was expecting something resembling a barnicle in the middle of the passenger glove box. The second supprise was the Sat-Nav, looks fantastic, really sets off the dash. I'll tell you about functionallity when I've had it a bit. Next the paddles, very comfortable easy to use. Wheels, the 18" wheels, really do look impressive, I would say a must have. The DSG is silky smooth, Proberbly a novelty but when I was driving along, I thought I can either use Drive or Sport or Gearstick changes or the Paddles (Just a big kid really) but It's great fun. I will post some pictures at the weekend.

I hope your rear window wiper lasts longer than both those of my son's car and mine! He picked his up last Friday - wiper failed today; I collected mine this Monday - wiper failed yesterday! Apart from that we are both tickled pink, and finding our way around the various gear-shift options.

post-9071-137914305594_thumb.jpg

I've found that my rear wiper fails occasionally. Problem seems to rectify itself if you turn the engine off and then back on again.

[ QUOTE ]

Be interested to see pics of the phone position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be annoyed if they've moved it from the position in the brochure. I didn't order it just because it looked so crap mounted to the dash. I was hoping for an armrest mounted bluetooth cradle. Would be interested to see where it is now as I may still be able to change the order

It's still mounted to the left of the stereo/ Sat/Nav, but is not an ugly looking thing with all cables and wires invisible. I actually think that is is a good system, my wife has the bluetooth connection in her X5 and what with all the security implications and the fact that BMW can't keep up with the new phones that are released the VW method of a fixed link is much better.

I suppose its all down to personal choice, I'd already ticked the multifunction steering wheel to go with my DSG so I it made sense for me to go with the phone prep.

[ QUOTE ]

I've found that my rear wiper fails occasionally. Problem seems to rectify itself if you turn the engine off and then back on again.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah mine too...funny that tongue.gif

yeah mine did that once too. couldnt turn the rear wiper off till I turned the ignition off. it's been ok since.

[ QUOTE ]

It's still mounted to the left of the stereo/ Sat/Nav, but is not an ugly looking thing with all cables and wires invisible. I actually think that is is a good system, my wife has the bluetooth connection in her X5 and what with all the security implications and the fact that BMW can't keep up with the new phones that are released the VW method of a fixed link is much better.

I suppose its all down to personal choice, I'd already ticked the multifunction steering wheel to go with my DSG so I it made sense for me to go with the phone prep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah that's ok then, I won't bother. Like you say it's personal choice but I've used BT carkits for 3 yrs now and would never go back to a fixed one, particularly one that left the phone visible on the dash. The VW one in the brochure looks like the kind of carkit I had 10yrs ago Flush.gif

I am having a few problems with the phone, it appears that you cannot dial a number from the multi function steering wheel, unless you have the Nokia 6310i, which is now more or less obsolete. The dealer is comming back to me, middle of next week.

[ QUOTE ]

I am having a few problems with the phone, it appears that you cannot dial a number from the multi function steering wheel, unless you have the Nokia 6310i, which is now more or less obsolete. The dealer is comming back to me, middle of next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the reasons I didn't go for the phone kit, it was out of date before it was designed! My bet is it will be replaced by a proper bluetooth one within a year