Undertaking etiquette

JamesB

How much would strike you as a fair price for the work carried out?  

1. 1. How much would strike you as a fair price for the work carried out?

• Less than £100
    • Between £100 and £120
    • Between £120 and £140
    • Between £140 and £160
    • Between £160 and £180
    • Between £180 and £200
    • More than £200

I would say that I'm normally a pretty unaggressive, laid back kind of driver. However, most days I drive back home into London down the A40 and am confronted by the inevitably packed outside lane, sparsely populated middle lane and virtually totally feckin' empty inside lane...

and this gives me issues.

Being a good (?boring) Audi driver, although I want to go faster than pretty much every other person on the road, I stay in the outside lane, resist the temptation to perform a full 450bhp in your face undertaking manoeuvre, and keep a reasonable (depending on mood and provocationsekret.gif) distance from the car in front.

But certain among my fellow travellers don't always show the same admirable restraint and I am confronted by not insignificant numbers of, for example, chavved up Saxos (and stock BMW 316s wink.gif) weaving in and out of the traffic, using all three lanes indiscriminately and ending up making pretty good progress through the traffic.

Of course, every so often they end up careering up the middle lane and trying to cut in front of me at the last minute. Now, I have to confess to being a little small-minded in these situations, giving the throttle a wee blip and closing the gap buttcheeks.gif (I may also even be tempted to slow down a little after that to stop them getting in between me and the car behind tongue.gif).

So here's my question, and please be honest:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a chance, close the gap.

Same if I'm on the A303 where it goes from dual carriageway to single lane by Stonehenge. The only reason you get massive queues there is everyone staying in the right hand lane and then making everyone stop so they can merge in.

I get in the left hand lane nice and early and then stick the to bumper of the car in front, you always get some guy try to force me to let him in right at the end once by driving towards the side of my car so just kept going on my merry way and made him stop and wait for me. fekr.gif

Does anyone here undertake then, in the same situation as James, where the fast lane is the only one in use?

What would a Traffic cop's view be if he pulled you for undertaking, albeit just slightly quicker than the traffic in the fast lane (so as to pull back if someone left the fast lane) ??

I have done this from time to time, or go into the slow lane when the middle is empty and floor it.

I have done it from time to time when some eejit has been sat in the outside lane for a long time with no traffic in front or inside. I feel that if I am two lanes inside them and they are showing no signs of overtaking, then I can claim the moral high ground. Of course, 5-0 might see it differently tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hmm, so would I. openfire.gif

But I suspect you would be more diplomatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt bet on it FIREdevil.gif169144-ok.gif

I once stopped someone for having their fog lights on (guess what, it wasnt foggy!!) it was close to christmas and the driver said "Is this your christmas greeting officer?" (in a very sarcastic manner) so I replied, "Yes, there are the flashing lights and here is your card, the only difference is, you give me the money!"

Diplomacy has never been one of my strong points! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hmm, so would I. openfire.gif

But I suspect you would be more diplomatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt bet on it FIREdevil.gif169144-ok.gif

I once stopped someone for having their fog lights on (guess what, it wasnt foggy!!) it was close to christmas and the driver said "Is this your christmas greeting officer?" (in a very sarcastic manner) so I replied, "Yes, there are the flashing lights and here is your card, the only difference is, you give me the money!"

Diplomacy has never been one of my strong points! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my god thats classic!

At least I can say the time I got pulled over I was polite and helpful and thank god got told to slow it down and be on me way.

I am not one of those that will hand out tickets every time I stop someone, (too my detriment at times confused.gif)

I prefer to give people chances, I would like to think that the driver I have just given some words of advice (instead of a fine) would stop and help me out if he saw me getting a kicking later that night! (It really does work!)

The way I saw it was I knew I'd done something minor wrong, and even if it had been major I'd of still been polite, so why make life difficult for either of us by being lippy.

And overall it slowed me down more than 10 speed cameras that I know the location of would have done.

Highway Code para 242

[ QUOTE ]

242: Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me this translates as:

If the idiots in the outside lane want to convoy along at 50 mph, then as long as I am only keeping up with the traffic in the middle/inside lane and not weaving in and out then I can undertake FIREdevil.gif

And I do.

I don't spend a lot of time on motorways.

If the traffic is going slowly in all 3 lanes, I`ll tend to stick in the one I`m in. You don't lose much ground in doing so.

That said, if the space is there, I`ve been known to undertake in the past a couple of times. Not cutting anyone up and making progress.

[ QUOTE ]

Same if I'm on the A303 where it goes from dual carriageway to single lane by Stonehenge. The only reason you get massive queues there is everyone staying in the right hand lane and then making everyone stop so they can merge in.

I get in the left hand lane nice and early and then stick the to bumper of the car in front, you always get some guy try to force me to let him in right at the end once by driving towards the side of my car so just kept going on my merry way and made him stop and wait for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you get queues is because nobody in this country understands the concept of merging. They're too busy trying to 'beat the competition', as this thread illustrates.

And if someone is making better progress, does everyone here really care that much? Leave them to get on with it. The last thing I'd want is some idiot driving behind me, so I'd let him pass.

(It also means that you get a proper look at the aftermath of his enevitable accident, rather than just in your rear view mirror).