[ QUOTE ]

Yeah but they are not VGA input, only XGA resolution, which is why my screen costs more, plus a tsk kit is around £50 for a 7" monitor and mine has it built in. If you want blocky graphices and fuzzy text you cant read, then go non VGA. it is cheaper and great for watching DVD's etc, but not for a PC screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

An LCD panel has a native res. The pana is 1024x768, so VGA will use the inbuilt scaler to fit to the display, as will the 800x600 cheapo screen from tgincar.

Most laptops will allow output at a selection of res's nowadays, even via tv-out.

For power, audi cab's are nice as theres a spare power socket in the boot. Pretty easy to make an ignition-switched power feed if the car doesnt have one.

[ QUOTE ]

so what about the sofware etc ? satnav and movies ? do you just run windows xp on it ? cant be easy to use cd's radio though can it ?

[/ QUOTE ]

a USB-powered multimedia tv/radio card with some coax coiled in the boot will work, but not particularly elegant.

I won't be using radio, I always listen to CD's in my car so will just use Windows XP MCE 2005 for the nice big easy interface and then GPS Software is about £80 for a full European map version.

In my last car I couldn't listen to the radio as the standard aerial lead didn't reach far enough to plug into my CD player, was a couple inches too short. I intended to get a little extension lead for it but never did as it didn't bother me in the end.

Also, technically XGA is perfect for that sort of display, it refers to the 1024x768 resolution and if the panel supported that natively it would look great. Whoever I like the look and specs of the one you are selling so will def be getting in touch with you about it sometime soon!

Chav

I hate to say this but you are so wrong on this. The display from a PC to a composite input of one of those screens (they dont have VGA imputs) is pants, you have to run in VGA res just to see anything clearly. I can point you to hundreds of people who would agree, just check out mp3car.com for references.

I'm not trying to sell my screen, it's been sitting in my shed for 10 months so no probs sitting there even longer, I just know the quality composite and VGA screens, nothing to do with resolution that the screen can handle or scaling.

Craig

[ QUOTE ]

I just know the quality composite and VGA screens, nothing to do with resolution that the screen can handle or scaling.

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest factor is the VGA->Composite conversion.

It will work fine with decent hardware....

Any picture will only be as good as the weakest part of the pipeline in producing the signal of course.

• 3 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Little bit cheaky for a first post considering I'd said I was very interested in buying it when I get my new car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey chill out leave the guy alone smile.gif Welcome "ants the blade" to TSN!

Thorburn - either buy it or don't buy it, is CraigyB expected to keep it locked away for x weeks/months until you buy a car? Have you given him a deposit then? 3 weeks ago he offered it to you!

[ QUOTE ]

As it is though if Craigyb decides to sell to you then I don't mind as not sure what I'm doing just yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

?!?!?! How decent of you, I hope CraigyB is grateful that you will allow him to sell it to somebody else!

Hi everyone , sorry if i caused any hassle with my first post frown.gif

I would purchase an in dash vga touch screen from the uk if i knew where to get one from , if anyone knows of anywhere then i would be grateful for any ideas smile.gif

Thanx in advance smile.gif