Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Az187

Help, Problems changing wheels

5 posts in this topic

I feel a bit stupid but I cant get my rear wheels off my Golf MkIV GT TDi (115). It's got the standard 5 spoke alloys, I've taken the nuts off but the wheel wont budge. Does anyone have any ideas.

Soft hammer or hammer / block of wood and tap it round the inner edge where its located onto the hub.

The centre bore hole can collect dirt / rusty deposits and these will cause the wheel to stick onto the hub.

Best to get someone to hold onto the wheel while you give it a few whacks from behind. Also, try a wee squirt of WD40 on both sides - if theres a centre cap take it off and you'll be able to apply the WD to the part that is stuck.

Before you put the wheel back on clean up the wheel and the hub and apply a smidge of copper slip.... ta daaa!

smile.gif

.... if you have no luck, pop out my way and we'll do it for you (Livingston!!!)

smile.gif169144-ok.gif

Welcome to the world that is TSN!!!

You are a star, appreciate the response, got it sorted. I was getting seriously annoyed that I just couldn't budge the wheels.

Cheers

Az

Had a Polo Gti with this problem a few years ago. Had to call out the AA who had to hit it very hard with a soft hammer before it eventually budged.