Frt Bumper Respray

Catherine

I have enquired today with a very good bodyshop in Bristol about the cost of respraying my front bumper.

To have it removed and refinished is £299 inc. VAT. Does that sound reasonable? The bodyshop in question is the Porsche Approved one for the region and I have had some experience of their work (but not a respray at my own expense).

[ QUOTE ]

Very heavily stone chipped and some delamination of the paint around the number plate housing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Catherine, with all due respect, why didn't you ask the dealer to have this sorted for you before you picked up the car ?

I had quite a lot of cosmetic stuff like this done on my M Coupe by Sytners as part of the deal as, like yourself, I hate things not being perfect!

Hope you're enjoying the car, and welcome to TSN.

Love the colour combo 169144-ok.gif

JT

I'm surprised it's just the bumper - in my experience the bonnet chips much more easily.

Yesterday I managed picked up a bllody awful chip on the OSF Wing - really really nasty. Touched it up and because BMW touch-up is so sh1te it looks bloody awful.

The chip was about a 4mm by 4mm!!!! Only noticed it when I parked up and it's right over the wheel arch. I'm wondering it someone has scraped a door over it - but there were no other marks around it (except a slightly smaller chip alongside it!).

It really stands out now (it was down to bare metal).

Not happy today.

The bonnet is quite reasonable although you can see where it has been touched up around the badge. The front wings are stone chipped as are the mirrors, the windscreen and the 2 front side windows.

Out of everything the front face of the bumper is the worst.

There is usually a Chipsaway person in every area. I have had work done with them before. When I drove my other halfs new car into a brick pillar (We had just bought a new house and I forgot the pillar was there).

Anyway the workmanship was very good, you couldnt tell and it came with a 2 year guarantee.

Catherine I had the front bumper resprayed on an E36 328i and the prices varied considerably. I got 5 quotes, ranging from £380 ex vat up to £nearly £500. I went with the £80 quote cos of the guarantee and through the local dealer's recommendation. The work was faultless.

So for £299 you've got a bargain. Go for it!

I thought 3 days was a long time, but as I recall when I was there last they do go to town. If your a Porsche fan it is a fantastic place to visit.

The last time I had a bumper sprayed my car was off the road for 1 day, but that bodyshop did the spray work with the bumper still mounted to the car.

This quote is for the bumper to be removed from the car, stripped and then resprayed. So I guess all the airbag sensors, fogs and other bits and bobs need to come off.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I can confirm that I am absolutely delighted with the Front Bumper. They charged me an additional £60 and professionally polished a significant amount of scratches out of the rest of the car.

They have also confirmed that to remove the scratches on the bonnet can only be done by a full respray inc. wings. I shall probably get that done in months time.

The only downside is that the polishing has revealeda lot of other marks I didnt know were there.

If anyone is looking for a really good bodyshop in the S. West I would seriously recommend Brin Jones in Bristol.

It was amazing to see a new Bently Coupe having a new bumper, wing and front wheel fitted (Insurance cost £20,000)