Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
omakase

DSG remorse?

8 posts in this topic

Dear all,

Am about to switch my GTI order from M/T to DSG for family reasons. Since no DSG test drive is available where I live, I'd like to seek comments from fellow forum users on their DSG experiene. e.g. fun factor vs. M/T, novelty factor wearing out quickly etc.

Many thanks,

Omakase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have gone for DSG anyday. Manual is excellent and you also have a superb auto mode for when the road isn't clear 169144-ok.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Still lovin' mine. The auto mode is great for town driving but even then I sometimes switch to manual and use the gearstick. Out on the road the paddles are great.

I've started to get a handle on how it thinks now so I can get it to respond just how I want. For instance, you can start off the lights without too much of a rush and it'll quickly grab second, then just keep easing the throttle open and it'll hold second until you ease off.

The only downside has been getting out of a difficult junction on a hill. In a manual you'd slip the clutch allowing the car to crawl up and out until you could see enough to go. It's not that easy with the DSG as you need to hold it on the brake and perform a hill start with the handbrake for each little bit you want to nudge out. If you try and hold it on the throttle it gets twitchy and according to the manual the clutch can overheat - if this happens you're not going anywhere.

Cheers, Neil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Test drove both and have a DSG on order on the basis of the test drive. Don't expect to have any regrets once it arrives in a few weeks time. smile.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the reassurance.

Neill: your experience is with the sports mode correct?

Melchior: given an open road, why do you prefer DSG over M/T?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Manual vs DSG debate is very subjective and ultimately down to personal taste. IMHO there are very few drawbacks whichever gearbox you choose on the Golf GTi.

Have you read the Evo Report on the DSG equiped Gti. Makes interesting reading. Their main criticism seems to be that the box is almost too good and as such takes something away from the 'sporting' character of the car.

My decision to opt for DSG in the end came down to how the car will be used. Where I live you can only really use a car to it's full 'sporting' potential 5% of the time, and for me, the DSG will make for a smoother and more refined journey for the other 95% of the time, and as lazy as it sounds, the thought of not having to shift under mundane driving conditions is quite appealing.

When the road conditions allow for a more spirited drive then the manual selection of the DSG can be utilised without the traditional shortcomings of a convential auto box. On balance I felt the DSG was the one for me. All IMHO smile.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I've not really used the sport mode in anger yet. Apart from a quick trip over the Yorkshire dales most of my driving has been in heavy traffic.

In sport mode you can't choose where the gearchange occurs by the way you drive, it always waits until 6,800RPM before changing up and changes down almost as soon as revs will allow when you ease off or brake. As the car does 41ish MPH in first gear, sport mode is no-go around town, especially on the MPG front.

Cheers, Neil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Neil and Melchior. I totally understand this comes down to personal preference. Although DSG is a main selling point for the GTI - I suppose for me, it's really an issue of practicality for my family vs. personal desire. I suppose it just takes some time for me to settle in on this whole DSG idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0