Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cerbera

Oh yeah.......!!!!

37 posts in this topic

VW would generally take a view (providing your car had been properly serviced etc and was totally standard) and in 'return for you loyalty' would give financial assistance in fixing the problem

Ha ha ha. Made me spill my beer! That's the funniest thing I have read here for ages. I don't think for one minute a VAG dealer will reward loyalty with an out of warranty repair. Their reputation is bad enough when the thing has just been sold and is fully warranted. Can't imagine they are going to get better once the car gets older and the warranty expires!

Sorry Colin - hope it didn't make a mess....! The implication was that VW themselves would assist as opposed to any dealer.

However, I have to confess that, despite this being from VW direct, I too am of the cynical view! The lady was somewhat reluctant to put anything down on paper for me.....funny that! fekr.gif

My wife's Golf had to go in yesterday 'cos the compressor for the air-con wasn't working. They couldn't find the fault and have rebooked the car for a two-day stint to remove the dash!

Anyway, I was asking the service bloke about who pays for all this, given that the car is out of warranty.

Basically, we don't pay anything for fault diagnosis (so they pay for all the hours they spend stripping the car looking for the fault), then we pay for the actual repair of the fault.

However, service will contact VW to see if they are willing to "contribute" to the cost of the repair - depending on the nature of the fault. I can't say that I am holding out much hope of VW contributing much, but it's nice to know that they consider these things. Car's back in to have the further diagnosis done in a week, so I'll let you know how we get on.

Oh, and I must mention that they are giving my wife a courtesy car whilst her's is in for diagnosis/repair. This despite them refusing to loan us a car during it's first service because it was an import!

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmmnnn.....just called up VW cust servs direct and had a chat with someone there. The lady confirmed that VW warranty dept tend to take a very Black and white view on any mods and would likely decline any claims if something has been altered/added to the car. She did add however (and I was somewhat impressed/sceptical about this) that, if you had a FSH on you car and something needed work on it after say 3 1/2 yrs (ie outside warranty) then VW would generally take a view (providing your car had been properly serviced etc and was totally standard) and in 'return for you loyalty' would give financial assistance in fixing the problem......would be interesting to put this to the test! Has anyone had any experience of this ?! Or do most of you keenos change your car every 10 mins !?

jump.gif JT

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a V5 camshaft lobe disintegrate at 30k miles FVWSH, 3 months over warranty, VW Germany gave me the middle finger, VW customer services UK agreed to pay for 70% of the cost of the parts only £265, however; with labour costs was £60 per hour it still cost me £600 rocketwhore.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My wife's Golf had to go in yesterday 'cos the compressor for the air-con wasn't working. They couldn't find the fault and have rebooked the car for a two-day stint to remove the dash!

Anyway, I was asking the service bloke about who pays for all this, given that the car is out of warranty.

Basically, we don't pay anything for fault diagnosis (so they pay for all the hours they spend stripping the car looking for the fault), then we pay for the actual repair of the fault.

However, service will contact VW to see if they are willing to "contribute" to the cost of the repair - depending on the nature of the fault. I can't say that I am holding out much hope of VW contributing much, but it's nice to know that they consider these things. Car's back in to have the further diagnosis done in a week, so I'll let you know how we get on.

Oh, and I must mention that they are giving my wife a courtesy car whilst her's is in for diagnosis/repair. This despite them refusing to loan us a car during it's first service because it was an import!

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar problem, fuse kept blowing, VW claimed the air con compressor was the only thing on that curcuit, but I found out (having noticed that it was not running when the engine was switched off) that it was the water recirc pump motor that had blown and was shorting out and blowing the fuse, don't know what model you have but you will find it connected to the water hoses on the rh side of the engine in between the air filter housing and cylinder head.

Check fuse, if it is blown disconnect plug, replace fuse, try air-con, if it works replace pump DIY @ £130.

If not you could always ask her to keep the windows open, and save a few bob beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I had a similar problem, fuse kept blowing, VW claimed the air con compressor was the only thing on that curcuit, but I found out (having noticed that it was not running when the engine was switched off) that it was the water recirc pump motor that had blown and was shorting out and blowing the fuse, don't know what model you have but you will find it connected to the water hoses on the rh side of the engine in between the air filter housing and cylinder head.

Check fuse, if it is blown disconnect plug, replace fuse, try air-con, if it works replace pump DIY @ £130.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the problem was that I couldn't actually find the fuse for the aircon.

The fuse cover shows what many of the fuses are, but there wasn't one with an aircon (snowflake) picture on it, and there were loads with the piccy of the service manual. Tried a few random ones, but they were all okay (and I assume VW have checked this too).

I'm rather hoping that its not something that needs fixing with the dash off because the labour charge will be horrendous for that. Ho humm - I told the wife we should have bought an R32 frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the problem was that I couldn't actually find the fuse for the aircon.

The fuse cover shows what many of the fuses are, but there wasn't one with an aircon (snowflake) picture on it, and there were loads with the piccy of the service manual. Tried a few random ones, but they were all okay (and I assume VW have checked this too).

I'm rather hoping that its not something that needs fixing with the dash off because the labour charge will be horrendous for that. Ho humm - I told the wife we should have bought an R32 frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't assume jack with VW service, they also told me that it was the air-con refridgerant level had dropped which stops the motor running and therefore needed draining and re-filling? £100+, nobody went near the fuses except me!

You could try telling the missus VW told you it needs a new Compressor, and will cost £15,000 so you may as well pay the extra and have a new R32 ROLLEY~14.GIF

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Please mate can you do a small write up onece the conversion is done, i really need to know how much better the car is. 274bhp sounds great!....

Also do you think you could take a picture of te miltak exhaust system, wanna know if it worth the extra money, i recon the standards are good and with the remap, f'in cool.

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look at this thread on the MKIVs forum for a review of the conversion:-

AMD 270 review on MKIVs forum

Spoke to my dealer today - regarding the remap.( Didnt say what I was doing ), and they said as long as the problem is not directly related to the mod, then it is not a problem.

Sounds a bit of a woolly answer, but I dont think they would notice the difference anyway ! smirk.gif

I really want this conversion, apparently it makes one hell of alot of differnace to their performanance. Apparnetly the 0-100 time is bettered by over a couple of seconds.

My probelem is that the exhaust system may effect the warrenty. I recon i could get away with the remap alone, but with the exhaust, i recon i could wave it godbye.

Doe anyone knw if the warrenty will be torn up if i tell them about the exhaust system. Also even if they do allow it, do you think they may get suspicious that there may be other mods done to the car like maybee a remap?

I you are worried about the exhaust warranty, whats stopping yuo from asking them to keep the old exhaust for you.

Not totally ohfay with the system in question but i doubt it that they will modify exsisting one. and u can bung it back on again if there is a problem.

I have been told that if i do not want the miltek system then the upgrade will lower the performance to arount 10bhp and torque less than normal.

On the other hand if i put on the system and keep the old one in case they may still not except that the warrenty is still void. Even if it is not, they will still charge me to take the new exhause off and put the old one back on.

I have herd though that some friendly dealers will still acept the car for warrenty with a couple of mods. I suppose before taking any action i should ask perticualr dealers polocies on the subject, becasue i can not afford to lose the warrenty.

beerchug.gif