Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skifly

Insurance - comedy!

13 posts in this topic

Thought you might love this one...

Just called direct line for a car quote for my GTI that turns up soon (Lazer blue with leather and 18's) and was told that as I am not quite 25 (6 weeks away) and the car is modified (18" alloys) i cant be insured on the vehicle. confused.gif

Has anyone else had problems like this?

Nice to see an insurance company being flexible here!

Who have people used for decent insurance on a GTI who are a little flexible on their rules about age... will get car a few weeks before 25th!

beerchug.gif

Chris

DIRECT LINE = dung.gif

Chris. Welcome to TSN!! Unusual for Direct Line to be like that, especially as 18" alloys are a Factory Option and NOT a modification. I cannot give you any personal feedback, however, Admiral and Norwich Union have had decent press for younger drivers. Hopefully some other TSN'ers will give you some ideas. beerchug.gif TP.

My circumstances are almost identical to yours. I found the cheapest/best overall deal to be elephant.co.uk

Dan

Im 21 and currently with direct line. Got a new GTI on order but i wont be telling them its got 18's as they are factory fitted and i think they are only talking about after market wheels. I do agree that directline are crap because i had trouble proving i had 4 years no claims bonus because they said i hadn't sent them proof from my previous insurer

The fact that Direct line don't want to insure you does not mean that they are carp, they just don't want your business. As others have said, try Elephant, if over 25, privilage might be worth ringing or maybe Liverpool Victoria - LV would not touch me on the scooby till I was 30 BTW.

[ QUOTE ]

privilage might be worth ringing

[/ QUOTE ]

I was always led to believe that Privilege & Direct Line are the same company. Privilege is the higher group division - I was put through to them directly from Direct Line a few years ago.

UK Insurance underwrite for Direct Line, and they also do Tesco..although I'm unsure of Priveledge. A lot of them are linked in some way or another. The recorded greeting at the beginning of the call telling you that they are regulated by the insurance standards council will have the underwriter's name in somewhere.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

privilage might be worth ringing

[/ QUOTE ]

I was always led to believe that Privilege & Direct Line are the same company. Privilege is the higher group division - I was put through to them directly from Direct Line a few years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Privilage are the higher risk division and yes they are the same company, just using different numbers to come up with a premium and offer slightly different services. Direct line are what you might call a "bucket shop" insurance company - Keep it simple, sell it cheap. Privilage sell a more expensive product (and should) have more benefits etc.

[ QUOTE ]

Im 21 and currently with direct line. Got a new GTI on order but i wont be telling them its got 18's as they are factory fitted and i think they are only talking about after market wheels. I do agree that directline are crap because i had trouble proving i had 4 years no claims bonus because they said i hadn't sent them proof from my previous insurer

[/ QUOTE ]

Just remember that this gives them a potential get-out cause if you should have an accident. Regardless of whether something is factory-fit, if it is not included on the 'list of standard specifications' then it technically counts as a modification.

I had this problem when I was thinking of installing Cruise Control on the R32. I explained that it was a standard factory option, and just that I hadn't been able to get it installed because the car was built already. They stated that even if it had been ordered from factory with the cruise, I would still have had to inform them anyway as it wasn't a standard option.

b0b

i am 22 with gti on order

i found the best insurance quote came from tesco!

also tried confused.com

it also really helps if you up the excess

incidently it is about 790 for me from tesco with an excess of £250 - i have 3 years no claims - was pretty happy with that quote

to give u a brief idea of the insurance frm the net go to www.autotrader.co.uk then to the right there is a link headed insurance centre clik find insurance just below then go ahead, it came up with some very cheap quotes 4 me! pengy.gif

I'm 26 got £590 with £250ex with priv they are very good and this is the second year i am with them

[ QUOTE ]

incidently it is about 790 for me from tesco with an excess of £250 - i have 3 years no claims - was pretty happy with that quote

[/ QUOTE ]

That will no doubt be on top of their 'compulsory excess' though.

Something that nearly caught me out (two excesses quoted but not totalled up, voluntary and Compulsory)

Privilege came out very cheap for me (30/in london/8yrs NCB/A3 3.2)

Esure and MoreThan won't quote me, saying i'm too young.

I'm sure their ads say their for safe drivers... hmm 8yrs NCB not good enough obviously!