How to run in a new GTI?

GTISVG

When my new black GTI dsg arrives in a few weeks, how should I drive the car to begin with. I have heard that I need to keep the rpm below 4000 for the first 1500 km. Is that true and what damage can be done if I go above 4000rpm too early?

Well i've got a Black manual GTi, done about 700 miles now. As i had to travel to my mum's in Shropshire to pick it up, i had then of course to travel back to South Yorkshire the following day. I'd say at most i had it about 3500rm, won't tell you what speed i was doing as i would want to incriminate myself. Basically, if you use this car to the full early on, sure, you'll run it in quicker, but you'll also probably reduce the life-span of the engine somewhat, simple as that. I've found as the days roll by, i'm getting used to its little querks; as you have dsg, you'll probably notice even more little querks...

Oh by the way, and i'm sure you'll learn the hard way like me, it's a b**tard to keep clean.

Most modern cars do not need or like a full TLC run in at sub 4k rpm.

Long gone are the days of needing wear in bores and bearings, modern machinary is that more precise on the initial milling, lathing and build.

Common sense (and the book) would suggest running in for 1k miles. I would go along with:-

0-500m sub 4k rpm, occasional pushes to 5-5.5k

500-1500m sub 5k rpm, more frequent pushes to near rev limit

1500m on full driving, all rpm, but do bear in mind the legend VW tightness of new engines.

A VW may take 10k miles before it's truely lose.

If you really value the car, try an oil and filter change after 10 weeks or so.

[ QUOTE ]

A VW may take 10k miles before it's truely lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

40-50k before they get good!

I'm on 15k with teh R32 and starting to notice it loosening up. Expect to see / feel the difference kick in around 30k + but I doubt very much I'll have the car then!

smile.gif

0-1000k's NO full throttle and also go easy on hammering it in first gear.

After that its pretty much a free for all...heard many stories about car's that were best when run in QUITE hard, but not killed in the first month or two! Nothing worse than a lazy engine that has been run in too easy!

Mine going for a fully synth oil and filter change at 2000k's which is about a weeks time!

Turbo's use a slightly lighter oil at 10w40 (bearing in mind this is the warmer south african climate)

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry to say every car i have every carryed out a Pre Dilevery inspection on i have hit the red line and got the tyres smoking. (REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST PERSON TO DRIVE YOUR CAR) the_finger.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ROLLEY~14.GIF thank god there's more conscientious techs around than you. From your posts recently I'm getting the opinion you're either a troll or simply an [censored].

Dan