Ian_C

The family workhorse just breached six figures. Doing well, and although bills are obviously starting to come in, there are no plans of retirement quite yet. For those who don't know my almost shameful upbringing on the French way of life, my father runs a May 2000 Xantia 2.0 HDi as his daily driver. Although hardly that impressive compared to many a busy commuting Tyresmoker, 100000 miles in 59 months is still pretty good going. Snaps for the album taken immediately following a run back from Nottingham [to Bedford], during which it broke the magic figure. Note the trip reading 241.5 miles with 3/4 tank remaining. Diesel is for winners.

425836-Xantia4JPG.JPG

425837-Xantia3JPG.JPG

Modern large engined cars will do 2-300k with no trouble at all.

It's a shame people still judge mileage by the standards of cars 30 years ago. The trade hammers the value of a car when it passes 100k when in reality, a well maintained large engined German car has barely broken a sweat at that mileage.

Xantia service intervals are 12,500 and the car sticks to them. If dad knows he cannot get it serviced on the scheduled date due to holidays / business, it gets done early. Because of this, the car is currently about 4k ahead of schedule. Also the cambelt, due at 100k, was swapped at the previous service; as the car was being kept way beyond 100k, I pointed out it may be wise to do the cambelt sooner rather than later. As mentioned before on TSN, Marshall Citroen Bedford have their heads screwed on and give excellent customer service. You certainly pay the main dealer premium, but they have kept the car running very nicely.

Ian

[ QUOTE ]

I've got to do a headgasket on a 1998 passat next week, but then again it has covered 260,000 miles.

Think Botangs works passat is coming upto the 200,000 mile mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep it certainly is, never raced or rallied sekret.gif

My dad's Merc E class is going some though, he has done 130,000 miles in it now, not bad considering it is only 18 months old shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I've got to do a headgasket on a 1998 passat next week, but then again it has covered 260,000 miles.

Think Botangs works passat is coming upto the 200,000 mile mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep it certainly is, never raced or rallied sekret.gif

My dad's Merc E class is going some though, he has done 130,000 miles in it now, not bad considering it is only 18 months old shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Given thats a modern Merc, thats even more impressive, as at least 6 of those months, it will have been in the garage yelrotflmao.gif