Traction Control Problem.

badgersuk

Right, so driving along, taking it easy, when all of a sudden the traction control light comes on in the dash and stays on. Doesnt flash just comes on and stays on. So naturally, the engine just starts to engine brake and there is no response from the throttle at all. Pull over, switch off, switch back on rev engine, fine for about 20secs, then same again. Switch off, wait couple of minutes, then start up, everything ok.

This is after the first time this happened about 3 months ago but this time no recovery. had to get towed to garage and they had a look in the ecu. Reckoned that water was getting into the back of the ECU box, and it had corroded the 8way plug the controls traction control and throttle. after they replaced it, was all ok, until today. (at the time pressing the ESP button did not change anything - but didnt try it this last time)

There are 2 similarities - both times it was chucking it down with rain, and had been for a while. Both times the car has had the chip installed http://www.dieselchiptuning.com/. This first time it went wrong was after about 20k miles with the chip in, so figured i'd not put the ecu cover back on properly and it had corroded. Asked for the part and it didnt look that bad to me (I do have a masters degree in electronics so kind of know a bit about the electronics) Now this second time, the cars only done about another 5/6K miles since it was fixed by the garage and I know the ECU cover is on fine.

Its a 2.5 TDI Manual SE if that makes any difference. So any ideas what could cause this kind of fault...? All diagnostics say its fine...

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Stu

Stu,

I get the ESP light coming on for no reason occasionally, infact it did it today on the motorway. It doesn't alter my throttle at all though, so it must be something different. The only thing I could observe is that the ESP IS actually off.. if I pull up and set off pressing the loud pedal I quickly lose a few thousand miles on the front tyres. Then with no warning at all it goes off again and everything is normal.

I can't understand why it would cause a throttle problem if the light isn't flashing..it sounds like the system is being falsely activated but if the light's not flashing.. don't know mate. I suppose wheel sensors would also be a no, because again that would cause it to flash and activate the system.

I seem to have totally not helped you at all there! 169144-ok.gif