Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AZURES3

Golf R32 comes last against...

9 posts in this topic

Alfa 147

Mini Cooper s Works

Ford Focus RS

It is Autocar so obvious anti VAG in the reporting but they say it simply feels inert in this company. Apparently the other deal with UK roads much better. This is a little disappointing as I am about to order an R32 but I would not consider any of the others.

The Focus RS won SLEEP5.GIF

AZ

Every magazine has it's own opinions, IMO the R32 is the best all rounder. Focus is good but compromised, Cooper S probably drives the best (I have driven a few and they are cracking cars) but has a bit too much of a feminine image, GTA will probably be worth buttons in a couple of years and fall apart getting there. Order an R32 with a clean consience, just get a blue one!!!!

Did you see Jezzas verdict on the RS, while it is an excellent car he said with its handling chars that it would probably be a bit tiresome on the UK roads.

But you do find that some magazines have different views - look at Evos rating fo the RS.

In the May 2003 Evo they revew the RS which has been superchipped by Bluefin to 237bhp and 262lb of torque. They say:

'If you live on a racetrack you'll doubtles have a ball in the RS, but for those who like their thrills on everydqay backroads with all their imperfections, the latest Fordis not the hero we'd hoped. At least you cant say we did not warn you'.

They like the looks of the car but hate the drive with all that torque steer, but they love the R32!!!

Good choice if you ask me...

post-1352-137914243943_thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Alfa 147

Mini Cooper s Works

Ford Focus RS

It is Autocar so obvious anti VAG in the reporting but they say it simply feels inert in this company. Apparently the other deal with UK roads much better. This is a little disappointing as I am about to order an R32 but I would not consider any of the others.

The Focus RS won

AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

Autocar seems to have the hots for the Focus RS for some reason.

EVO did a similar group test in their magazine a couple of months ago (with the same cars [except the Mini was a different tuned version] + Audi S3, Leon Cupra R and Impreza WRX). The R32 came out on top in this test. They thought that the handling of the Focus was seriously flawed on the road and that it was more suited to the track. I much prefer the reviews in EVO anyway and I'm pleased that they gave the R32 five stars as I think they are the definitive magazine for performance cars. If you didn't see the article, here's a link:-

Evo Group Test

The magazine group test included a test of the cars on the track (this part isn't shown in the online edition). The lap times for the cars came out as follows:-

Alfa 147 GTA 86.05 seconds (dry track)

VW Golf R32 91.20 seconds (very wet track)

Ford Focus RS 90.30 seconds (wet track)

Audi S3 (225bhp) 92.70 seconds (wet track)

Seat Leon Cupra R 93.05 seconds (wet track)

Schnitzer Cooper S 93.00 seconds (wet track)

Subaru Impreza WRX 90.20 seconds (wet track)

The test drivers said that the track was wettest for the R32 and that it should have matched the times for the Focus RS and the Impreza WRX. They also said that the R32 was the most satisfying car to drive. jump.gif

Overall the golf is by far the best option. it looks the best insdie the car (with the most options) and it also feels the fastest of the bunch (even thought it isnt). i think the adavtage with that higher capacity engine, non tubod is that the power is there when you want it, there is no lag, you can zoom out of the corners without having to be high up the rev range. The focus is apparently unpredictable the turbo kicks in when you least expect it.

Inside the focus is sh1t, it looks tacky and boring. The alpha and the S3 are the only ones which match up with the golf, but the alpha is front wheel drive and i would never go for that (espeshally with a 250bhp engine: to me makes no sence)

i think the only reason why they say the golf is inert is becasue of the weight differnace, it is a fair bit heavyer, but it is all a compramise. Quality goes with weight.

The best all round car (no matter what Autocar says is the Golf), it looks th bollo*cks inside and has the power and torque to go with it. Even Jery Clarkson says that if he had the choice between the focus rs and the golf he would choose the gol and it was Top Gear magazione that said that the RS was the best drivers car.

I fi had the coise between all of the cars on offer in the Autocar review, i would take the golf over the second best and £10 grand spare change (if on offer)

May be a bit biased beerchug.gif

I would have no doubt that the Focus would be the most fun to drive, golf would be the best real-world choice.

The Focus and the Alfa suffer from the sort of torque-steer you would expect from a 25-year-old fwd car.

The MCS is a brilliant car but not as quick as the R32 and nowhere near as practical.

[ QUOTE ]

Alfa 147

Mini Cooper s Works

Ford Focus RS

The Focus RS won SLEEP5.GIF

AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to remember that most of the magazines get a car to test for a couple of days and (Autocar in particular) tend to focus on driver enjoyment above anything else.

I'm sure that the ocassional long-term test that the magazines carry out often come up with some very different comments than the original test e.g. the Audi Cabriolet test in Autocar ?? - maybe Ari can confirm, as I bet he's read about this with interest ??.

For most of us, you want a comfortable, good looking, quick car, and the ultimate handling performance are only going to be used maybe 10% of the time at the most, so aren't quite so important.

All in all, a long way of saying that if you buy the R32 you'll regret it maybe 5-10% of the time, if that.

If, as Autocar would advise you, you buy the Focus RS, I reckon you'd hate it for 70% of the time or more, and only occassionaly would you appreciate the supposedly superior driving experience.

JMHO

sidicks