Z3 anyone?

leonardo

i noticed the board seems to be dominated by z4 talk, but i was wondering if anyone had experiences with the z3?

I know the 2.8 is the one to go for, I have been pretty close to ordering a new golf gti but for half the money i could get a z3 2.8. I'm not worried about it's image as I like it's design. Any views on performance, reliability, servicing etc would be great.

cheers

Parents used to have a 2.8, the ride was very crashy and the interior was pretty poor, very dark cheap feeling plastics.

Handling wasn't supposed to be all that good either.

As for reliability there were problems with the immobiliser going awol and leaving my mum stranded and a warped front brake caliber.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to note that BMW have created many models of cars which they felt the need to continue, update after update... The Z3 is one of the few that was ditched completely and redesigned. - What does that tell you?

Z4s are gorgeous. - Except the silly badge/indicator on the wing, but a few quid in your local Hamann/Hartge/Alpina shop will fix that...

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the main reason for "gettiong rid" of the Z3 was because of the new designation assignments. 1,3,4,5 etc. representing different things. The Z4 is the replacemnent for the Z3 and followed the new flame-surfacing design cues. So it wasn't really gotten rid of at all! Following the designations, I'm interested in if there'll be a Z2. Thinking MR2-size fun!

• 2 years later...

I have a '98 2.8 Z3 in the garage that I bought new. Alongside it I have run Jaguar XJR's as my main car.

I now have a Golf GTI DSG on order for March.

But I won't be getting rid of the Z3. It still shines up like a brand new car and drives really well. If you drive it hard it will deliver grip and pace way beyond your expectations. A good car with a reputation spoilt by people who just used it for tootling along.