Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danksy

Turbo failed?? Weird problem!

10 posts in this topic

Yesterday morning at about 6am I was driving to work along my normal route (fast wide open country lanes, with good visibility) and was making "good progress".

Just as the car it three figures the acceleration stopped. Nothing, nothing at all would happen.

It decelerated to about 70mph despite having my foot pinned to the floor, and up an incline dropped to 60mph.

I then lifted off the gas to get down to about 40 before trying to accelerate....

It had no pull at all, just as though the turbo had cut out.

So I restarted the engine, and everything was fine, and covered 300 miles yesterday with no problem!

Weird huh?

Your car is trying to tell you something.... smashfreakB.gif

Get it on a VAG-COM quickly, because i think fault codes clear quite quickly.

The fault code will remain in place until it is cleared with vag-com.

It has detected a boost fault of some description, which has removed any boost you had (known as limp mode). When you switched the car off it would have recognised that the fault is no longer current (will now be listed as intermittent) so will give you the power back until it happens again.

I have had a similar problem with a 100bhp passat Tdi, it had a fault called negative deviation. In the end the only thing that cured the fault was a replacement Turbo which cost me £500 and a few hours of my time.

It's done another 1000 miles no problem, and is due another service in 12,000 miles time.

My car used to do this cutting out when cruising on the motorway, and would not reset until the car was re-started.

2 months later i'm going along the dual carriageway slowly, the car then goes full revs clouds of white smoke... turn the key and it continues to rev the the max for three minutes and then stops. Can only assume it's the turbo - as I have no boost now!

And no oil left in the sump!!!

Turbo seals failed and the engine oil has all been burned in the runaway engine. It's not common but it does happen, and the engine usually gets destroyed by running flat out with insufficient lubrication (oil) crazy.gif

Put it in 3rd or 4th gear, put your foot hard on the brake and ease the clutch out fairly quickly. Clutches are cheaper than a rebuiling for the engine.