Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shark_90

Ran out of juice today..

10 posts in this topic

Nearly whizzing past Tamworth services (at 70, m'lud), I realised my diesel needle was down at the "R" and popped in to get some more liquid-soot. I spotted a sign reading "Cheaper Petrol and Diesel" so I followed it, and found that the small, privately owned garage was closed. So I headed for my original destination - the services. I didn't make it, and just after pulling away the car coughed and died, rolling to a rather disappointing stop.

It seems I have discovered (luckily) that the PD units are self-bleeding, after a few minutes of trying to start it it kicked into life, died again, and a few minutes later came back again.

I feel rather lucky!

Vorsprung durch technik, I suppose!

Ouch - hope it hassn't done too much damage, apparently running a diesel down to empty isn't a good thing to do.

Yeah I already knew which is why I totally sh*t myself when it actually stalled. It seems to be fine now, done a couple of hundred miles and no problems.

Phew!

It's taking some getting used to this diesel thing.

In the Golf, being anywhere near empty meant an immediate stop at the nearest garage.

Not in the Astra -I just keeps on going!

Tell me about it Matt, it's wonderful isn't it! When my A4 shouts at me for diesel, there seems to be upwards of 12/13 litres still in the tank!

How's 50 to the gallon treating you?

I'm driving is a rather....errrrrm...spirited manner and getting more like 40 at the moment!

Should improve when I calm down and it's gets a few miles on it (currently on 800 miles)!

The cost is not the main thing I'm pleased with, it's the range on a tank - LOADS more than the Golf!

Suprising how much time you lose stopping for fuel.

Fuel? whats that, I came from an V6 ST24 Mondeo to a Golf GT Tdi, had the car since august, never filled up yet hahaha. Well it doesnt seem like it anyway.

56mpg up M1 to home at 60ish in heavy traffic on a good day with a following wind 123576-assfeck.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Suprising how much time you lose stopping for fuel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hare and the tortoise race comes to mind, watch out Lagoo and Co jump.gif