Timing belt change

nightmare

You would have to check your service manual, but i cant imagine 40k being the right figure. My tractor (an old TDi model) has a recommended change point of 70k, i cant imagine they'd design a newer engine, with a shorter timescale for the cam belt change.

Out of everything you ever delay for a car, never delay cam belt changes, they cost £200ish to change, but cost £2000ish if they break.

Hi guys thanks Ive just found this on a American web site

(The timing belt on an automatic requires change at 40K miles, but the good news is that there is a new timing belt and tensioner that is used for both automatic and manual TDI and the interval is 80,000 miles before it requires change. If your 2001 has engine number 500,000 or later it already has the improved belt. The belt is standard on all 2002 TDI.

I am positive. 100% certain that the timing belt is installed on all 2002 TDI and that the interval is 80,000 miles for BOTH automatic and manual transmission.)

ooo.gifSo mine should be ok for a 2003 model with 33k on it I heared it was 40k and was wondering as it seamed very low miles for a belt change cheers all smirk.gif

Anyone know the cost for timming belt change at the Vw stealers ? Cheers again

The older VE injection pump engines had the 40k for automatic and 60k for manual change intervals. Then VW introduced a longer life belt and roller kit which was good for 80k inspection / change at 100k.

The pd engine has a different belt and drive pattern (no injection pump to drive) and the belt itself is wider and more robust to cope with the pd injectors. 80k change interval. Don't confuse it with the Americans who only got the pd last year.

Budget upto £375 for a main dealer to do the timing belt.

[ QUOTE ]

Could any one tell me when the timing belt is due for replacmemt on a vw borra 100 bhp pd 2003 model is it still 40000 miles or has this been extended in the newer models confused.gifbeerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My 01 Golf PD115 just had a belt change at 60k, garage says it aint the belt that goes its the tensioning mechinism that can bugga up! ECLIPSe.gif

Cost me £150 by the way 169144-ok.gif

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know that everyone tends to look at the mileage however I think there is a recommendation in the booklet for VW Bora that they are changed every xx miles or 4 years !

The wifes Bora was changed in July, hence the reason the time periods brought back memories as its only done 43k miles.

In view of the age of the car would be worth getting it done, tensioners, water pump etc as well and that will be a damn sight cheaper than if it went !!