Idle Problem (MK11 K-Jetronic)

Leesolo

I put this on the normal forum (30 views no repilies, thought you guy's new your stuff!!)

Hi,

No sure if this should be in Tech forum, but i guess you'll let me know soon enough !!

Im have a problem wi my car's idle, (1984 Mk11 K-Jetronic,)

normally idles about a grand,,, but the now it's ticking over at closer to 1600rpm when at running temp ,,, i can adjust the idle back to a grand when running,, but when i start up it barely ticks over,, so i need to turn idle up manually,,, then same problem happens ...

Any one had similair probs ?? or know what i should be looking at ?? is it poss that the cold start is staying on ??

any more infor req i'll try to supply,,, im not a mechanic though !!

Cheers folks,, appreciated.

Lee

[ QUOTE ]

have you checked the wax stat in the inlet manifold (i am not to good with the older cars smashfreakB.gif so i could be wrong but thats what it was on my mates old jetta)

[/ QUOTE ]

Waxstat only on carb models wink.gif

Think the problem is the idle air control valve sticking. When you set the idle correct it sometime sticks open and revs up.

Then you adjust the idle to allow for the stuck valve and it starts working again and the tick over is to low.

Cant remember of the top of my head where the valve is but it will have a pipe from one side of the inlet butterfly to the the other with the valve in the middle. 169144-ok.gif