106 GTi - Always breaking, but i still love it!!!

puggtiboy

laugh.gif Has anyone in here owned, or currently owns a 106 Gti... I've had mine for 2 and a half years.. Its gotta be the best handling car i've driven, with the exception of the Elise and Exige, and i cant help loving every second of ownership.. blush.gif well, almost.. Anyone else had clutch, geabox, engine mounts, coil pack, catylitic convertor, abs sensors etc etc go?? My car is now nearly 7 years old(its a 98), and i'm getting tempted to have a change... Any idea's??

My budget would be £4-5k, it would need to be fast, Ins grp 15 or under. I've been tempted by a black RS turbo, low milage, totally standard, in amazing condition that i seen the other day confused.gif

I've never owned one but driven a few 106 GTI's and I have to agree the chassis is amazing.They soak up bumps,never get kicked off-line in tight bends and just feel so compliant.To go from that to an RS Turbo could only be a step backward and anyway what would you do with the other £4,500? tongue.gif

As for an alternative,can think of plenty but unfortunately none are group 15 insurance! frown.gif

I had a GTi, and i agree, they are not the best built frown.gif but some of the most fantastic driving small cars out there.

To be honest, after the 106, i reckon you'll be a bit underwhelmed by the RS, it'll be faster in a straight line, but the moment you get to a corner, you'll be wishing you'd stayed in the pug 169144-ok.gif

I understand what u mean, i'd only really go for a standard low milage car, with FSH, and the 306 doesn't really do much for me ZZZ.gif... I'm looking for a car with a turbo, my pal just sld his TME Evo 6 Lancer, so we're missing that good old dump valve.. I'm only 21, so i dont want to go for any jap stuff bcos of the ins. and old subaru's are dodgy and, well, look a bit crappy.. The RS is the most realistic(cheapest) for me, and i'm sure its handling an performance can be improved if done carefully and sensibly tongue.gif