R32 Review (compared to my last car - s3)

Bison1379134007

Bison, enjoyed your post, I would have bought an S3 but after a test drive I changed my mind. The engine sounds like it came from a Moulinex thingie, about as much aural enjoyment as having your ears syringed! It's a bit smaller than the GOLF too. R32 arrives in two weeks.

[ QUOTE ]

* whilst I love the turbo rush of the S3 (at the top end of the rev range), I find that it's really fecking annoying to drive at low revs ... like in 2nd, round a slow corner, put foot down ... NOTHING until the car remembers it has a turbo ... I hate that.

* the S3 is just too damn quiet, both engine and exhaust ... I've tried MTM cat-back, now have Remus rear muffler neither sound any different to the pathetic standard thin raspy exhaust note.

* I actually don't find the S3 Recaros so good you know ... I find they're way too high even at lowest setting (TT better here) - I like to sit low in the car, not like I'm perched on a stool - and they're too lumpy in funny places. Tell me: can you sit lower in the R32 Konigs than the S3 Recaros? Also, I get a sore back unless have nice hard supportive seats, are they firm with good lumbar support?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah they go pretty low.. i don't know if they are lower though... the whole car is lower though... or feels it anyhow!

no adjustable lumber support.. not bad but not as good as the s3 for distance driving... however, much better for holding you in.. which you'll need smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

* is it true to say that the power delivery is sort-of the opposite to the S3? i.e. S3 nothing then everything if you wait; R32 everything from the beginning then plateaus unexcitedly?

[/ QUOTE ]

you definatly have a LOT of torque low down compared to the s3 and its instant... but yeah i just miss the almighty shove you get at 2.5K on the turbo.. well chipped of course smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

* I just drove a Nissan 350Z the other day (bit bigger engine 3.5 V6, 206kW) to see if I'd like that sort of engine - felt like a big V8 down low - and very capapble, but the power did seem to plateau after the initial rush ... or is it that I'm just used to the S3 turbo?

[/ QUOTE ]

it is definatly a sensation thing... as i think the r32 *feels* slow to 60... but its not... it justs i guess as a human we notice the difference in torque more than a constant force.. if that makes sence? and with a turbo you have a BIG difference... not so much on the NA though...

[ QUOTE ]

* bad stereo ... how bad is bad? is it as bad as the BMW "Business" standard stereo in, say, 325Ci ? is it that you just can't be a rolling night-club, or is it crap even at low volume?

[/ QUOTE ]

its bad! its not bad really low down... but if you have bose on the audi you'll be pissed off... its FAR superior to the golf setup.

[ QUOTE ]

Bison, enjoyed your post, I would have bought an S3 but after a test drive I changed my mind. The engine sounds like it came from a Moulinex thingie, about as much aural enjoyment as having your ears syringed! It's a bit smaller than the GOLF too. R32 arrives in two weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

glad you enjoyed it!! smile.gif people with r32's seem to agree... as much as i am enjoying the new car it does make you apreciate how good that 1.8T is... if the audi had got all the other bits right i wouldn't have bought the r32 (well i would coz the a3 shape is now coming to its end, but you get my point)..

lets hope the next s3 is even better smile.gif

N