Is paddleshift standard with DSG?

bulldoze

Got my DSG GTi today and although I did not order them I got the paddleshifts as well. Is this a new addition? I thought it was a £500 extra? also i got the automatic antiglare rear view mirror.

Can anyone shed any light on this? has the standard spec list changed?

[ QUOTE ]

They are standard on DSG in Audi's but VW seems to charge and extra £500, what a rip off is all I can say. smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The paddle shift is actually a bargain. You not only get the paddle shift for £515 but also get Cruise Control and the Multifunction Steering Wheel

These two options on their own are £585 so VW are actually giving you £70 to take the paddles smile.gif

Admittedly if you don't want Cruise Control or the option of the Multifunction Steering wheel then it is expensive.

I'd be really interested if it were possible to get the paddles on their own as I personally don't want buttons for a phone when I have no phone installed.

Currently I have cruise control (stalk controlled) but no MFSW on order.

On the VW UK website there are two DSG MFSW options listed:

Multifunction steering wheel (DSG only) 515.00

Multifunction steering wheel (DSG only) 245.00

Does anyone know what the difference is between the two?

I've never read anywhere that you can get just the paddles, so yes, that is a puzzler!

Got my DSG today (18s, paddles, Tornado Red, 6CD armrest, 3dr). Limited time in it so far, but it really is a great car. The DSG is wicked: finding that using the paddles is great; very quick to get used to. The only trick is to know what gear you are in, but you can judge it well from engine noise and road speed, as well, of course, through a quick glance at the display. The stick is handy when you are coming out of a turn and waiting for the wheel to return to centre, in which case using the stick is easier than locating the paddles (it's fine on shallower turns, when hands can be kept on the paddles). I really do think it's worth the money, for anyone who is weighing up manual v auto

The 'D mode is fine for more 'sedate' driving/when in traffic. Still quick. Haven't tried 'S' yet. Car feeds fast but obviously can't use full potential for another few hundred miles

I was surprised to find that I seem to have Cruise Control. I was under the impression that this was an extra on top of the MFSW. Have the switch on the stalk, and the light comes on in the display, so I assume it must be there!

I was expecting the footrest to be aluminium but it isn't. I've looked at some pictures on this site and it doesn't seem to be aluminium, but I thought I'd seen reference to it being aluminium in the VW brochure (though it does just say pedals on the gti website). Road test in the telegraph online says that it's aluminium but that may have just have been on the press cars, or is maybe non-UK spec. I'm not really bothered...unless someone on here tells me their's is aluminium!!

Oh, and the bottle opener will I'm sure come in very handy!!

Adios

I paid for the multifunction steering wheel because i wanted the paddle shifts and the cruise control which i used for the first time today never had it before kept the speed great up hill and down and did not effect mpg which was good.Also about the bottle opener i think that just comes if you get center arm rest

[ QUOTE ]

the cruise control which i used for the first time today never had it before kept the speed great up hill and down and did not effect mpg which was good

[/ QUOTE ]

In every car I've had with cruise control the mpg has been better, particularly on long journeys, so it's well worth using. It's like aircon, once you've had it you wonder how you ever managed without it 169144-ok.gif

Aircon uses more power plain and simple.

They use electric power steering to lower the power used instead of the old hydralic system. You will notice a lower MPG might only be 2-5 mpg but it is there.

Use it in the summer when necessary but in the winter except to clear the window quickly is a waste. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

They are standard on DSG in Audi's but VW seems to charge and extra £500, what a rip off is all I can say. smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The paddle shift is actually a bargain. You not only get the paddle shift for £515 but also get Cruise Control and the Multifunction Steering Wheel

These two options on their own are £585 so VW are actually giving you £70 to take the paddles smile.gif

Admittedly if you don't want Cruise Control or the option of the Multifunction Steering wheel then it is expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh. Apologies my mistake. If you get them as part of a bundle then fair enough. But for me on a performance car with DSG they should be standard.

Don't ahem play with mine that often but nice to know that they are there when i do. 169144-ok.gif

I've had 6 or 7 cars with AC and though in theory it does use power and lower mpg, in practise I've never found it made the slightest bit of difference. This may be due to engine size though, as the 2.0L Golf will be the smallest engine I've had for 15rs, on my ex's Ford Ka it definitely made a difference. Apart from the occasional experiment every time I change car, I also leave mine on permanently. Even in winter it helps a lot and leaving it unused for extended periods can cause the seals in the system to dry out and start to leak

The MFSW (DSG only) @ £515 includes paddles

The MFSW (DSG only) @ £245 does not include paddles.

I recall these two variants of MFSW being available when I specced my car back in February.

I spoke to my dealer today with regard to paddles being standard on 2006MY DSG's and he new nothing about it. That said he is expecting a 2006MY DSG at the dealership in the next couple of days so will call me back to advise on whether it has the paddles or not. I'd really like to know about the availability of paddles without the other MFSW functions as I need to confirm my spec by the middle of next week.

The sales manager at the Retailer I have ordered my car from currently can not confirm the exact spececification and availability of options for 2006 MY MFSW and / or paddles. When I mentioned that DSG cars were being delivered with paddles where they had not been ordered, it came as a surprise to him. I'll post back when I get further information from the Sales Manager unless anyone else can get a definitive answer before me.

Has anyone else taken delivery of a DSG equiped car with paddles where they did not spec any form of MFSW?