Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flnutt

GTI MPG!!!

76 posts in this topic

got my mk5 gti last week with every option! i havent been driving it to hard just keeping it in D. i filled up the tank the other day clocked the mpg and it was 20.9!!!! v. dissapointed with this hoping it will imoprove! sportifs2.gif

Whats everybody else getting? on the computer it was showing 22!

It's difficult to compare really as it's down to how you drive and where you drive!

That sounds very low though, unless you've been burrying the right foot everywhere!

My current average is about 33mpg, which I'd say is about 70% motorway cruising and the rest town driving with a little playtime mixed in there.

Mine's a little disappointing at 31.7 on the trip2 setting. I drive town driving mostly, with the odd occasional blat for 5 miles in the country. I've been told that Mpg improves as the car ages towards 10k miles.

[ QUOTE ]

Mine's a little disappointing at 31.7 on the trip2 setting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, you've got a car that's nearly as quick as an R32. stop whining!!!! smashfreakB.gif

Hell to achieve over 30 Mpg would be a dream.

In my current car I'm lucky if I get 20!

Anyway, surely Mpg is the least important aspect of the GTi experience.

Toxic, you drive an MG... ouch.

what's your resale experience been like

I got lucky. A week before MGR went down I ordered my GTi and got an agreed Part Ex price on the MG. laugh.gif

Spoke to the dealer a couple of weeks later and he pointed out what a lucky Bugger I'd been with my timing. He said I'd have been offered 40% less following the crash. the_finger.gif

You lucky fecker. I'd get rid of it ASAP, if you smash or damage it - part ex will be void... that'll be an expensive crash!

Don't worry. I'm driving like a Monk at the moment.

And the car is being washed at least once week to keep it looking lovely.

He might have trouble questioning any damage though. he gave me the price on my car without even seeing it.

He took my word that it was in good nick, which it is.

Oh, and it's now being garaged to prevent the local Chav Monkeys from doing any damage.

I'm getting around 34MPG after 9k of fun. It does get better but the car starts to sound better and I always want to hear that sound so the right foot has become a little heavy now wink.gif

I was getting 34 but now the car has 2000 miles I am getting 27 FIREdevil.gif

On my Journey to work when I have no choice but to go with the traffic, 10 miles motorway, 10 miles A road, 5 miles urban = 42MPG SLEEP5.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you, I'll be over the moon if I get 30mpg, hell that's nearly diesel economy notworthy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you, I'll be over the moon if I get 30mpg, hell that's nearly diesel economy notworthy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you call 30 near 50 then i'd agree tongue.gif

If you're getting around 28-32 mpg then you're doing well. the S3 on average did anything from 25-30 dependant on right foot and where

G

Ha ha, I used to get 36 mpg from my chipped 320d and 29mpg from my 530d. I'd need a Lupo diesel and surgical removal of my right foot to get 50mpg the_finger.gif

I'm getting about 16MPG...... car has done 800km, and I am driving like a priest. Extremely unhappy about this. Any advice?

Welcome MeMota.

It sounds as if your 16mpg readout may be just for the start of a trip rather than overall to date, or vica-versa (too early on a Sunday morning for me to work that one out!). The question is whether "16 mpg" is your current fuel consumption or your average overall? What symbol does it display in the readout and is there a small "1" or "2" to the upper right?

If priests drive everywhere in second gear, then your figures are about right tongue.gif

If it really is that bad take it back to your dealer, there is obviously something wrong with it. 169144-ok.gif

I'm converting from l/100km to get the 16mpg, but am getting about 15l/100km. This is a mix of freeway and driving around town, and is the readout for a total of about 300km worth of driving (small "2" next to the numbers).

I'd be keen to know what people are getting when they look at the instantaneous readout..... when on the freeway I can get about 9l/100km cruising, but when I'm driving around town, and NOT thrashing at all, just to accelerate from 30kmh to 60kmh reasonably gently, I can get up to 35l/100km no sweat. If I put my foot down it can get to 60l/100km easily (sometimes more). By comparison I hired a large car recently (4litre engine - we like em big here in Aus) and the instantaneous readout on that was generally about 20-25l/100km and that's giving it some welly (rental car and all).

Been to the dealer who hooked it up on the computer... no faults.

Any suggestions? Wait a bit longer to see if settles down? Dealer said that VW won't even talk to them about it until the car's done a couple of thousand km's,.

[ QUOTE ]

Dealer said that VW won't even talk to them about it until the car's done a couple of thousand km's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like dealer bull***t to me. Are your figures based on the display? If so, try and do your own calculations eg. fill your tank, run car to nearly empty, fill up again, divide fuel amount by miles/km's travelled since you filled up, then check the figures against your display. If the display is out by a long shot, show figures to your dealer and demand they do something about it. 169144-ok.gif

Mine on the mk5 has been creeping up from 28 from new to now 33 from using the brim tank full way of calculation.

Still not as good as the mk1 was getting 35-38 mostly 38s but much better than i was expecting of a 2.0 turbo petrol manual, i was expecting high 20s at most after running a new leon TDI130 for a short time before the GTI and it was only doing high 30s early 40s for the same trips the GTIs were doing.

Just thought wonder how the MPG differs between DSG and manual in real life if any?

Wow Snoopy, that's great economy. How many kms have you done, and when did it start to improve?

dazdot, thanks for advice. I'm using the meter, but have checked it a couple of times (drive close to empty, fill er up etc.) and it seems to line up quite well.

I think I'll wait until the 2000km's unless it gets worse, and also so I can continue to experiment myself with eliminating data from cold starts, zero the meter when on the freeway and see what average I get just doing that over a long trip, same for around town.

Interestingly, in the manual it refers to "urban" and "extra-urban", with the definition of urban including a cold start, and extra-urban including "regular" starts/stops, so not just freeway as I'd thought.

Pah, perhaps I should have got that Liberty (Legacy) 3R-B after all - economy's turned out to be the same!

That is shocking economy MeMota, I have a 3.2 and i get 28-30 mpg, and ive only done 600 miles, i think there is a problem that needs looking at.

Aye up guys, i think i must be missing something here. What do you click to find your average mpg? On my trip computer, it obviously starts off very little, then as my journey progresses, the mpg goes up. All i know is that i get roughly 300 miles on a full tank, as i always fill up from empty (i.e 25 miles after warning buzzer sounds). Thus, how many mpg am i getting on average please?

I don't know if this helps but it's from a much earlier post:

The GTI tank holds 12gals (55ltrs) so if you average 30mpg a full tank will take you approx 360 miles and so....

34mpg = 408m

32mpg = 384m

30mpg = 360m

28mpg = 336m

26mpg = 312m

24mpg = 288m

22mpg = 264m

20mpg = 240m

Obviously it depends how you drive.

Ermmm, right, so about 25mpg, not great, but then again, do mostly 3 miles to work and back again 5 days a week. Me thinks that when i get the R32 DSG, that the figure will practically break my bank....