GTI MPG!!!

flnutt

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ermmm, right, so about 25mpg, not great, but then again, do mostly 3 miles to work and back again 5 days a week. Me thinks that when i get the R32 DSG, that the figure will practically break my bank....

break your bank!!!! yo do 30 miles a week to work + normal milage you only need to fill up every 5 weeks bloody hell I have done 14K since march in my GTI doing a 80 mile round trip a day thats breaking the bank and more. I was driving in 6th gear everywhere but now do 30 miles a day so I drive it like Jeremy C said so "Like I sat on a Wasp". I was spending £350 per month on fuel it was like Alan Partridge I knew the name of the petrol station staff and what they ate for dinner wink.gif

As I'm sure Mixit agrees: A major part of owning a car such as the GTI is the pure enjoyment and fun of driving. Sure, we would all like the best mpg we can get, but if it was that important we would have all got Golf TDIs - VW offer that with DSG as well.

6 miles x 5 days = 30 miles a week except weekends. Say 100 miles each weekend, total per week = 130m = say 7-8,000 miles per year!! That's so little! Surely mpg just isn't an issue, even with the new R32 for a mileage like that.

AndrewEdward, are you taking the mick? We are still waiting to learn if you have ordered a new Mk5 R32....

Red, I made the mistake of changing from the R32 to the GT TDi in a quest for better economy. It all boils down to one thing. if you enjoy driving "spiritedly", you have to accept that your car just won't give you great economy. By the way, my annual milage is around 13k. 169144-ok.gif After much chopping and changing, I feel Iv'e found the perfect compromise. I love my DSG with a passion. smlove2.gif

Gotta be honest Red, I'm not keen on the look of the new R32. As my GTi is my 3rd car in as many years, it's time to stop spending. I don't consider the small step in performance and enjoyment worth the extra 8k, which I'm sure it would be if I traded. smashfreakB.gif

Hi MeMota,

Also in Aus - not sure whether the warmer climate makes an significant difference to the function of the turbo and hence fuel ecomomy.

Initially, I was getting around 13.8l/100km (or 20.46mpg). Now I'm getting around 11.1l/100km or 25.44mpg. This has been average over the past four tankfuls of Optimax.

Virtually all my driving over the period is city - a couple of shortish runs on the Melbourne freeways to the airport and so on. (90% of the time using DSG manual functions so not trying especially to conserve fuel.

The car is just coming up to 5,000km (3,100 miles)so that means the consumptions improved from about the 2,500km mark. I'm not sure its still improving though. I have a sense that the consumption has been showing 11 or 11.1 for some weeks.

Hope that helps.

Thanks OzGTI.... we have exactly the same car! Did I see you parked on Chapel Street last weekend, I think near Cafe e Cucina?

Perhaps the warmer weather matters, but it hasn't been THAT warm in Melb. I have had ac on most of the time, although as far as I can tell it makes very little difference, relatively speaking.

Did some experimentation today, reset meter when I got onto the freeway, and averaged about 7.5l/100km, but that's with cruise on. Going up the Westgate bridge at 80km reading is about 12l/100km, so that incline makes a big difference!

Driving around South Yarra this afternoon, fair bit of traffic, averaged about 16l/100km.

Then putting it in S and driving, not super fast, around St Kilda I was up at about 20l/100km!

I'm suspecting that when accelerating the car's being fed too much juice, but stady state it's not too bad. When I look at the instantaneous meter I get shocking figures, for example up to 80l/100km when accelerating strongly (but not flooring it).

I sense it's getting a little better, so hopefully things will improve. I'm thinking of taking a road trip to get the km's up as I'm getting impatient!

Also getting sick of worrying about it, so I'll just try not to for another 1000km and then start getting analytical again.

You happy with your car? Where'd you buy it from?

Having compared the long term average on the computer vs brim to brim measurements, the computer is around 5% optimistic in mine, with a mix of driving types you should be able to achieve over 30mpg average unless u drive flat out everywhere.

well, let's put it like this, and i'm sure you guys have similar stories. Bought a Mk IV Gti last Xmas, after having a Skoda Fellatio for 3 yrs, how's that for a transition, lol? Then i scabbed a test drive in a Mk V GTi, purely to see what it was like, no plans (or money) whatsoever to order 1. Then it happened, "Mr. Ferguson, this might be your lucky day, someone has just cancelled their order, the car is literally en route from the docks, if you want it, the car's yours!?" ermmm, then, you won't believe this, what pulled up outside the dealership but said car, 3dr, diamond black, winter pack, electric mirror pack, GTi...."Mr. Dealer, could i have another test-drive in this one?" next thing, my wallet opened, out came Mr. Visa, deposit paid on spot....then, had to break it to Wife (that was difficult), especially as we had an 18mth old Son...anyway, she finally gave in (after 5 brandies, or was it 6), asked Mr. Bank for loan, got £7k for Mk IV GTi (paid £9250 4 months earlier, now proud owner. What i'm saying is, got test-drive in R32 in a few weeks, you figure, they must be laughing heartily to themselves, lol...dilema, dilema, lol...

I've got to admit that when details of the new R32 first came out I was tempted by the idea myself. But having seen the pictures and thought about it some more I couldn't justify the extra cost for little performance gain and higher running costs.

Should be a good car though, but it doesn't look to have the same presence as the MKIV R32. I'm sure it will be a good drive though if the GTI is anything to go by, I'll def go for a test drive.

I've not seen another Red GTI in Melbourne yet. A couple of blacks, a white and a silver but no red.

Yes, that could of been me in Chapel Street - live in North Caulfield so normally head up to Chapel Street to the cinema or Borders book shop. Occasionally for dinner.

I should have said that I drive with the air on virtually all the time. It seems to have a .1 or .2 litre per hour impact on the consumption at idle at least. Thta's looking at the current consumption screen while switching off or on the AC. Not sure what that will translate to when driving rather than sitting in the driveway idling. Thers no doubt that it will have some impact.

I reckon you need to live with it for the next 1,000k or so and see how it pans out at you say.

I purchased my car from the Geelong dealer - Rex Gorrell. Have purchased a few cars from down there over the years. Its a multi franchise arrangement. My two previous cars were Audi's - both from Gorrell's. Took delivery on July 2.

I'll get the car serviced from the place in Commercial Road come that time.

Am I happy wity the car? Yes, it is brilliant - have had no problems to date. A couple of annoying rattles initially but they have gone away. Its like the car neeeded to settle on our roads and tram tracks.

How about you - apart form the consumption which I'm confident will improve?

Glad to hear you're happy OzGTI. I am too really apart from the consumption, which is stopping me flicking it about as much as I'd like (oh, and really trying to run it in properly..... difficult to do!)

Strange about the rattles, I had some too but like yours they seem to have settled in, including the door vibration when the stereo's on (but I may still get the VW fix done - dealer is checking that out).

Bought mine from Barloworld in Glen Waverly, and so far they've been great. Long way to go for servicing but they have a loan car and have earned my business I reckon.

I live in North Caulfield too, off Hawthorn Road up near Dandenong Road. Must keep my eyes peeled for you.

I did some tests with the A/C on whilst driving as well, on the freeway with the cruise on to give a steady consupmption figure, I flicked the AC on for a while to see the difference. About half a litre per 100km at that speed.

Now I only have to stop having the thing washed every third day!

That's uncanny fancy living so close and having the same car and neither of us driving a Holden or a Falcon.

We live about two blocks away. I'm about 70 metres from Dandenong Road off Orrong - just opposite where Wattletree joins Dandenong.

I've got over the washing everyday now. But she needs a good going over on the weekend.

How long have you had yours?

Just two weeks, which explains the amount of washing. Plus I have to park on the street, so it gets dirty pretty quickly.

Have 1000km on the clock now, will do some road trips and get up to that 2500km as you suggest.

Will see you around the neighbourhood!

• 2 weeks later...

when i went to france a few weekends ago i thought " ill take it nice and easy on the lovely french toll roadsand report back to all my tsn pals what excellent mpg i got" NO FECKING CHANCE. lasted about 5 miles of open road and then HELLO 165 mph... sorry but theres no way i can drive this car like a reliant robin (sorry robin no pun intended). This car is meant to be driven and enjoyed and im sorry to say but even a trip to the bank is a chance to get the adrenalin going....

i enjoy her and have stopped worrying about saving a few pounds on the fillups (especially since i only use optimax)