• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AJno1

AJno1

Vauxhall Corsa VXR

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:35 PM

I have been using a Karcher K2.99 pressure washer for the last 6 months or so and am very pleased with it.
I've read through a lot of posts on the cleaing section of TSN I have realised cleaning my car properly is about more than just wash, dry and wax.
Having seen the light and wanting go either the Zymol/Meguires route, am I ok using a pressure washer or am I running the risk of removing the systems I've put on?
Thanks.
BMW 325i M Sport Auto

#2 cleanimage

cleanimage

Saab 9-3 Aero

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:06 PM

Pressure alone will not do much to your waxes.
Even the wind as you move along the motorway wil remove some wax so the pressure will strip a bit off, but not enough to remove protection.

We use hot pressure washers that run at 80*c, even then we have to put a pretty strong detergent through them to get wax off.
I like my cars as I like my women, fast and well rounded.
My name is Dan (not Dave), ask me about valeting...
Peach or Lemon?

#3 AJno1

AJno1

Vauxhall Corsa VXR

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:23 PM

Cheers Dan.
One less thing to worry about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif
BMW 325i M Sport Auto

#4 MOSE

MOSE

Porsche Carrera 4S

• Members
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:53 PM

Dan,

When I bought my Karcher, I was advised to consider a model that was not as powerful as some of the Karcher's that were in stock. So I eventually opted for a 3030 machine with a free extension hose.

The reason they suggested this was due to the amount of customers who had complained about the machine's actually stripping off paint, particularly on the plastic surfaces. To be honest I dont know whether or not I fell for this. Is this a reality, or do you think they were trying to get rid of discontinued stock.

Mind you, the 3030 is great for what I want to use it for. No problems at all!!

#5 cleanimage

cleanimage

Saab 9-3 Aero

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:35 PM

On normal everyday paintwork - there is no way a pressure washer can take it off.

Having said that, we have had it happen but this was a problem with the aftermarket paintwork. And we only made it worse, we didn't start it, it was already peeling.

I can't remember which make, but one manufacturer has a bit of a problem with paint staying on the bumpers, Ford I think... but if it comes off with a pressure washer, it would come off in a car wash - send the car back!
Peach or Lemon?

#6 AJno1

AJno1

Vauxhall Corsa VXR

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:07 PM

The only advice I reluctantly received from the lovely people at Halfords /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yelrotflmao.gif where I purchased the Karcher was to make sure I didn't use the second of the supplied Lances because apparently it ups the pressure by another 50% over normal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
BMW 325i M Sport Auto

#7 silentandy

silentandy

Silent but deadly

• Members
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:15 PM

Just don't use the dirt blaster lance on a car, that thing is lethal.
I tried it on my old car's alloys, just on a small patch... it stripped it back to the metal! oops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smashfreakB.gif
I have nothing interesting to put here

#8 AJno1

AJno1

Vauxhall Corsa VXR

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:20 PM

Yeah, that's the one!
Cleaned the pathway upto my house beautifully though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
BMW 325i M Sport Auto

#9 AJno1

AJno1

Vauxhall Corsa VXR

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:32 PM

Have just found a video of a Lotus Exige coated with Zymol being Pressure Washed.
The lance looks like a Dirt Blaster as well (going by the cone shaped nozzle).
A fairly extreme test by the looks of it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Check it out!!
BMW 325i M Sport Auto

#10 AJno1

AJno1

Vauxhall Corsa VXR

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:36 PM

Sorry Guys, file too big to upload.
Go here instead.

http://www.vertar.com/zymoldemo.asp
BMW 325i M Sport Auto

#11 cleanimage

cleanimage

Saab 9-3 Aero

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just don't use the dirt blaster lance on a car, that thing is lethal.
I tried it on my old car's alloys, just on a small patch... it stripped it back to the metal! oops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is because the paintwork got broken and became corroded underneath. The would have bubbled up before long anyway.
Peach or Lemon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users