Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ganglor

brake fault warning

11 posts in this topic

Hi, after i changed out the rear brake pads on my 2001 Passat, periodically a warning will show up on the dash. it says STOP brake fault, and flashes a few times then goes away. Anyone have any ideas about what would cause this?

john

Welcome to TSN.

Apart from a dodgy connection not really. I assume you did the work yourself, strip it down and have a look to see if the sensor cable is connected properly and is clean. 169144-ok.gif

thanks. I will do that. I thought it must have been something with a sensor, but i didnt know for sure.

john

well i took a quick look but i could not find any sensors. Do you know off hand where it is and what it looks like?

thanks

Hi,

I have this problem, take the battery cover off and try to look across to see what level your brake fluid is at. I am guessing you get the STOP brake fault when you corner mostly? This is when the fluid moves and the sensor detects it is low.

I think you will need to top it up, it wont need much! I have been told that for some reason hydraulic clutches use a small amount of your brake fluid (they are from the same reservior). Someone will hopefully tell me if this is true, mines uses a small amount of fluid.... i have topped it up twice over 10 months (33k). I have checked for leaks and can find nothing.

If its not the fluid level, re post

Thanks

RobK

Wobby is right most passat have to have there Brake fluid topped up due to stop light coming on

Just read your post properly. My guess is that changing the rear pads is just a coincidence. I would think changing the pads will push the piston further back to fit the wider pads and would if anything put extra fluid into the tank.

Mines been topped 3 times not twice. Its a feeling of horror when that stop light comes on isnt it! smile.gif

Scared the $hit out of me the first time. On mine it resets back to normal once i get on the straight roads. If you dont top it up it gradually occurs more and more.

Hope this helps

RobK

(Hello to TIAN !! beerchug.gif )

it seems to occur mostly when i accelerate quickly, so that would make sense. Also, the Hanes manual says to let the excess fluid out the drain when retracting the cylinder into the caliper. thanks, i'll top it off today after i get off work

i topped off the brake fluid and i havent gotten the warning since. thanks a bunch

Hi !

Ive just had the same problem. Was it just a case of topping up the brake fluid or did your problem come back. Scared the SH*T out of me travelling down a motorway at 70mph !!

Regards Vicki

You are supposed to bleed off the surplus brake fluid when compressing the piston rather than forcing it back up into the reservoir which I have read can damage the ABS unit.

When the older reservoirs had the float switch on the top that made contact when the brake fluid fell, forcing fluid back would overfill the reservoir, short the contacts and illuminate the dashboard low fluid level light. Exactly the opposite to what had happened.

You were not aware of this at the time, You bleed the brakes, left the fluid at the correct level and then found the low fluid light lit. It was necessary to prise apart the reservoir float switch and clean out the float switch to rectify.

Have you got one of these old type switches?