Anyone got a copy of Autocar today then ?

CarMad

Well I suggest you don't if you have a 3dr Golf GTI on the way.

Basically it pitches the Megane, Astra VXR and the Golf GTI head to head and the Vauxhall beats them all hands down for engine and handling. So don't go playing with one on the backroads if you don't want to be seriously embarrased.

It says the Golf is the most complete package, but the complete package can take a hike and if you want a real hothatch then if blows the sensible golf into the weeds. The vauxhall wins easily.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats odd because i have seen two other reviews between these three cars, i thought one was Autocar?? where the Golf won hands down! i guess its down to the reviewers taste! But as they say if you buy a Astra what do you end up with??? A Vauxhall! frown.gif

I for one know, when someone asks me what do you drive? i would rather say Golf GTI than an Astra! 169144-ok.gif

I'm in agreement. I subscribe to Autocar myself and they always seem to lean towards peoples inner-child rather than taking the whole package into consideration and peoples real world needs.

I'm sure the people at AMD will be upto the challenge though with their 270 Bhp package for £1850.00!! http://www.amdtechnik.com/products.variant.cfm?variantid=76

And it's still a Vauxhall!!

openfire.gifsmashfreakB.gifopenfire.gifsmashfreakB.gif

What a nice bunch of badge snobs you all are. blush.gif

I have an Audi A3 Sportback with the 2.0 T FSI engine and having driven both the GTI and my motor, I much prefer mine. And I get the better badge, build and depreciation, if I use you analogy. grin.gif Cool.

Would much rather say I have an Audi than a Volkswagen. ECLIPSe.gifsmashfreakB.gifslap.gifSLEEP5.GIF

Why worry? I know I've got a great car and I love it, I went for it because it is a good all round package. I'm not in the habit of going around finding cars like the VXR to race.

Plus apart from anything else, I know my car won't depreciate anywhere near as much as a Vauxhall or Renault. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Why worry? I know I've got a great car and I love it, I went for it because it is a good all round package. I'm not in the habit of going around finding cars like the VXR to race.

Plus apart from anything else, I know my car won't depreciate anywhere near as much as a Vauxhall or Renault. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on Andy. 169144-ok.gif

Thats what it's all about. If you are happy with the motor you have got then thats great.

Its just a few people reading many threads in the GTI section think its the car to end all cars. Erm reality check there will always be something better that comes along. But if your happy with the motor and what it does for you each time you drive then that should be enough. beerchug.gif

It is up to the journalist who does the review. So it's personal choice.

Of course all motor journalists are top notch people and would never lean towards one make of car or another just because they were wined and dined and given lots of goodies by one particular manufacturer... would they? ahem.

My personal opinion is the Astra looks fecking awful and I wouldn't be seen dead in it, even if it is marginally a better car to drive. I'm more than happy to be a GTi snob, because I love the car.

Hell, I'm still driving an MG, it's not really badge snobbery with me. More the fact I'm excited about getting a car that doesn't feel like it'll fall apart at any minute and has a decent turn of pace as well.

As for the speed thing, getting my backside kicked by every Clio 182 around keeps me in check. SAUER0421.GIF

As you all say though if your happy with the car you've got (which I'm sure I will be soon) then all is good. 169144-ok.gif

I'm glad I've got rid of my "VW only" shackles.

Good cars but they don't half give their owners a bizarre sense of superiority and arrogance.

Almost BMWesque.

I may get another R32/4/6 or I may not. What I'll do is drive everything in it's class (like I did with my mk4 R) and decide of fact, feel and personal opinion rather than a daft "it's a VW/Audi so must be good" idea.

The mk4 was utter cack apart from the R32 and the Passat is truly terrible to drive.

VW USED to be genuinely much better cars but anyone that still thinks that is stuck in the dark ages.

Toxic - The new Astra is easily as well put together as the mk5 Golf. It's about the first Vauxhall to crack quality (I'm no Vauxhall fan, just a high end Astra fan).

Oh I've no doubt Vauxhall know how to build a performance car. Especially with Lotus weaving their magic underneath.

One thing I always find pleasing is the way they wheel out the old Lotus Carlton every time there is a performance saloon shoot-out just to keep the other honest. 169144-ok.gif

As far as the Astra goes, the price alone will generate plenty of interest.

I've got nothing against Vauxhall, I have owned 2 Corsa's in the past and they were ok at the time.

This is the first VW I've ever had and thats only 3 weeks in length.

For me, if you placed those three cars together, the GTi would still be my first choice by a long way. I'll have to read the review to see the detail of what the journo says as its always interesting to make comparisons.

Not everyone is obsessed with resale values.

Lodders - You didn't like the R32 either so what Golf ae you talking about or just generally sniping everything for a laugh?

I'd have a VX220T over an Elise 111R and a Monaro over an S4 because I think both are better.

But what do I know eh?

[ QUOTE ]

According to What Car.

% value retained (3yrs/36,000mls)

Vauxhall 2.0T SRI - 47% (assuming VXR is about the same)

Audi A3 2.0TFSI - 59%

Volkswagen Golf GTI - 64%

That's a £3400 hit after three years shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The VXR is 1k cheaper than the GTI at least, discounts might make it less, so its not as bad as that shows.

Plus you are going halo model to normal model. I'm sure that the VXR will be a little closer to the GTI, add in the fact its cheaper and the differents will be small I would have thought.

[ QUOTE ]

Not everyone is obsessed with resale values.

Lodders - You didn't like the R32 either so what Golf ae you talking about or just generally sniping everything for a laugh?

I'd have a VX220T over an Elise 111R and a Monaro over an S4 because I think both are better.

But what do I know eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you know indeed??!! grin.gif

I never hated the R32, it bored me, yes, but it was the attitude of some of the owners, and I emphasise 'some' which got my back up.

I like the look of the new GTi, in white (did I just say that??) with big alloys and the traditional check seats, I quite like it.

Hmmm,

No DSG on the Vauxhall so I don't care. I think the new Focus looks good but the Seat looks even better and you can still have the DSG. New Civic Type-r will probably be pretty good and it looks good too.

The good news is VW can use the Focus / VXR as the car to beat when sorting out the R36.

Neil.

Well I rather like (and prefer) the styling of the Astra.

Daring yet it works (even JC likes it a lot).

Golf is fine but very plain.

R32 still the best looker.

Now talking of R32 owner attitudes, I've heard that the odd 3 series owner can be a wee bit "dude with an attitoood"...

well...top gear gave the GTI a rivetting review..and for me their word is FINAL!!!i think top gear is far more credible and reliable than that low budget magazine known as autocar!besides,i've already done the audi thing...up for a breath of fresh air now!...and that breeze has to be the GTI....we'll say no more!!! NONO3.GIF