Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CarMad

Anyone got a copy of Autocar today then ?

166 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

Golf is fine but very plain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plain? PLAIN !?!?! P L A I N !?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Hold me back lads, hold me back !! smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I used to be a VW badge snob through and through.

Then I grew up.

[/ QUOTE ]

...had to live on a pension, wear incontinence pants and drive a Rover 216 jump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

At 30, not quite.

Badge snobbery is actually quite childish I think.

I'll reserve final judgement after trying both but judging by how well mine handles and goes (quicker than a 2.0TDI Golf and better handling, plus looks a lot more interesting) I think I might know how it all ends up.

Don't forget, me and my family have (and still have) had Golfs since the first mk1 GTi came out so you can hardly get more of a Golf head than mine.

Cars are like celebrities, they hype them up, only to knock them down.

The VXR is the new boy in town, or should i say "da new kid on da block aiiigght!" Bit too max power for me i'm afraid. best left to the corsa boyz to w4nk over.

GTI anyday of the week.

Sigh.

You all stay in your little bubbles which I managed to emerge from a while back.

The VXR could be crushingly superior but it wouldn't matter to you lot.

You'll never try one, never like them, just hide in that box painstakingly built by VW/Audi/BMW and be putty in their hands for the rest of your lives.

Oh well - Leaves the rest of us to actually open our eyes to what's hot and what's not and keep abreast of the car industry.

I don't think you've won anything. You may well be right, but the tone of your messages make you sound very patronising and without a hint of irony or humour.

That may well be deliberate though.

Second that any one remember the mk2 astra GTE ..... yeah it was quicker than the golf at the time and if i remember a lot cheaper.. how many astra GTEs do you see around now?

History repeating itself.

and whats all this talk about performance? the golf is quick enough for 95% of folk, if vauxhall think they can beat the golf with a quicker car then let them think that

The ashtray vxr is nothing more than a max power look alike for the kids to w4nk over but hey thats just opinion

I just keep forgetting to hit reply and use "quick reply" so not smileys. grin.gifsmile.gif

I know the new Golf is very good and I liked my R32 a lot but I actually TRY stuff rather than just making my mind up anyway. All this Vauxhall slating is based almost purely on no actual experience.

You should all try it some time - There's some great cars out there from all sorts of manufacturers you know. grin.gifwink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I won that one then.

Next...

[/ QUOTE ]

YES... crazy.gif yes you did iamwithstupid.gif

you obviously have no GTI legs to stand on..and you are probably old and boring hense your silly ashtray VXR opinion!!get a real car..buy your R32 back suicide.gif

Point proven again and again!!!

Why have I no GTI legs to stand on? I've owned loads.

The mk2 Golf/Astra GTE is irrelevant - The mk2 WAS a lot better but that was about 15 years ago!

VW made the mk4 since and that was cr*p (R32 excepted).

All this Max Power sh1te - Based on any FACT?

Nope - Just Daily Mail reading muppets who use others to decide for them.

I may get another VW soon, I may not. As I said I will TRY cars and only call them cr*p if I KNOW they are cr*p not because a car mag told me so or because I am so insecure that I can't possibly get out of my bubble.

My next car will be in addition to tis one (the Astra is purely a workhorse that happens to go rather well) and probably a real sporty car like a Caterham.

I thought my R32 ruled the World when I got it too children.

As for old - 30 year old competitive surfer and kickboxer with a 27 year old wife. Maybe not.

What IS interesting is that VW got their new GTi out in the market place first and it has become the new benchmark for others to follow.

The competition are now following with credible cars BUT the rave reviews of the GTi at the outset must have amazed VW. Certainly, the excellent media reviews have had an effect on the maunfacturer in supplying retail demand (there is a huge backlog of orders).....now that's not bad in this day and age when you see other manufacturers struggling.......

All I will say is that VW must not rest on their laurels hence our comments on the new .:R (in the R32 section of the forum) where we are all stating that VW must listen to us and get the new .:R right!!! 169144-ok.gif

gooood for you!!..as for a 19 year old junior editor for the top gear magazine..i think ive achieved alot in my young age and i have "experienced" a fair few cars in my time!i think i could definately say one for everyday of the year (including the vxr)...so contrary to what you believe i do know alot...and it is based on fact!however i wont bore you with all the details of what i do...and i think you should still buy your r32 back wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

well...top gear gave the GTI a rivetting review..and for me their word is FINAL!!!i think top gear is far more credible and reliable than that low budget magazine known as autocar!besides,i've already done the audi thing...up for a breath of fresh air now!...and that breeze has to be the GTI....we'll say no more!!! NONO3.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

jump.gifjump.gifjump.gif

Oh my god this makes me laugh. I buy just about every mainstream car magazine that comes out every week or month or at least do sometimes. And I can honestly say that Top Gear and Autoexpress are the two worst by a long margin.

Autoexpress because it can be so inaccurate its untrue and the editorial is appalling.

Topgear because it is very very unbalanced. It is far too much the view of an individual and much less about actually how good the car is. Its only just a step up from Max Power.

Have a look around on the forum, we have done polls / threads on this in the past and its just about unanimous. znaika.gif

Autocar - is the best weekly - albet with a few dodgy writes and the odd speculative scoop.

Evo - is the best monthy bar none. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Golf is fine but very plain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plain? PLAIN !?!?! P L A I N !?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Hold me back lads, hold me back !! smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is.. My other half just won't have one she says it looks boring. She would much prefer an Astra or .. yes this might shock a 1 series. They have much more about them. And I would have to agree with her. laugh.gif

we get that alot!!but we are market leaders for a reason..u are entitled to your own opinion though...thank you for sharing it with us beerchug.gif

Before I ordered my GTi, I tried out the Civic Type R, the BMW 1 series (I know I know), Mini Cooper S, Seat Leon and Focus ST. I had a totally open mind and no alligence to VW at all. I couldn't test the Astra as its obviously not available, so its a mute point.

I think the reaction to this review, does highlight how against the grain it is with other reviews. Although I do feel there is an element to the review trying to be the first journo to "top" the GTi with a newer model.

Be interesting in a years time to see how many models of each car have been sold in the same timescale.

ok...i think we should all agree to differ!!vauxhall -good..gti- better smlove2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

we get that alot!!but we are market leaders for a reason..u are entitled to your own opinion though...thank you for sharing it with us beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A take it you might be involved with Topgear then... lol.gif Oh the shame of it. I used to buy it when it was first out, but it seriously went down hill. I'm in the industry and I'm affraid sales of magazines means nothing. Its the content for the people that really know what they are talking about that makes a difference.

Read far too many articles in Top Gear from people who just don't understand the person that will be buying the car, which just makes the article mostly pointless. IMO.

Hey ho... maybe it will improve one day. pengy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It is.. My other half just won't have one she says it looks boring. She would much prefer an Astra or .. yes this might shock a 1 series. They have much more about them. And I would have to agree with her. laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Partly agree about the 1 series, I do really like the styling of it from the outside... but then I sat in one and didn't like it... then I drove it and hated it.

Some people like their hot hatches to be in your face and crying "look at me! Look at me! I'm fast and I know it"

Some people like theirs to have styling that is a bit more refined, but hiding a brute underneath.

For me, the Astra (like the Civic) is a bit too "chav" for my tastes

I read Autocar, Car and Evo. As CarMad says, Evo is the best read by far. Excellent writing, photography and genuine un-biased opinions.

I look forward to their group test of the three main hothatches.

personally..i try to read other magazines to get a better,more educated view from a different perspective...i think that our magazine for the most part does not appeal to the real enthusisasts among us..but there are parts which go further and are more educated than other magazines, which i'm sure you prefer. beerchug.gif hell..evo is my favourite magazine..but TG is very adult and straight,maybe biased but money is what makes the world go round.. frown.gif