Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CarMad

Anyone got a copy of Autocar today then ?

166 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

Before I ordered my GTi, I tried out the Civic Type R, the BMW 1 series (I know I know), Mini Cooper S, Seat Leon and Focus ST. I had a totally open mind and no alligence to VW at all. I couldn't test the Astra as its obviously not available, so its a mute point.

I think the reaction to this review, does highlight how against the grain it is with other reviews. Although I do feel there is an element to the review trying to be the first journo to "top" the GTi with a newer model.

Be interesting in a years time to see how many models of each car have been sold in the same timescale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure thats the point is it.

The GTI is very good as an all rounder, but as the article suggests it is not the b all and end all of the best hot hatch. Now a lot more people want a quick good handling car to which the Golf obviously is. Its a little over prices for what it is IMO, but we all pay through the nose for the cars that we buy.

The VXR is a much more focused car that the GTI and will never sell in the same numbers. Car history is littered with examples of the same thing happening. But it doesn't stop the VXR at being better at the ultimate goal of being the best hot hatch at the moment.

The new Focus ST is out soon, maybe that will beat them both. Let me see, very good handling, ok build, a gorgeous sounding 5 cylinder motor. Things are looking good for it to beat both cars.

In this post I have never said the GTI is bad, but people just aren't open to something else out there being better.

I choose a Sportback because I didn't want the image of the GTI, and having to think I was the best thing on the road.

But my car handles as well, is just as quick and arguably a better car to live in day to day, and with more space for what I wanted it for. Which by the way is only a slight notch up from Golf blandness. The best of a bad bunch some would say. But I do like it. coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It is.. My other half just won't have one she says it looks boring. She would much prefer an Astra or .. yes this might shock a 1 series. They have much more about them. And I would have to agree with her. laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Partly agree about the 1 series, I do really like the styling of it from the outside... but then I sat in one and didn't like it... then I drove it and hated it.

Some people like their hot hatches to be in your face and crying "look at me! Look at me! I'm fast and I know it"

Some people like theirs to have styling that is a bit more refined, but hiding a brute underneath.

For me, the Astra (like the Civic) is a bit too "chav" for my tastes

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with all of that. The VXR just won't be for a lot of people. And the inside of the 1 Series just isn't good.

[ QUOTE ]

personally..i try to read other magazines to get a better,more educated view from a different perspective...i think that our magazine for the most part does not appeal to the real enthusisasts among us..but there are parts which go further and are more educated than other magazines, which i'm sure you prefer. beerchug.gif hell..evo is my favourite magazine..but TG is very adult and straight,maybe biased but money is what makes the world go round.. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Far enough fella. grin.gif

We all do things that are just to keep the beer flowing and the thoughts of what motor we are going to get next alive. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

personally..i try to read other magazines to get a better,more educated view from a different perspective...i think that our magazine for the most part does not appeal to the real enthusisasts among us..but there are parts which go further and are more educated than other magazines, which i'm sure you prefer. beerchug.gif hell..evo is my favourite magazine..but TG is very adult and straight,maybe biased but money is what makes the world go round.. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure they all bring qualities to the table.

My main reason for not buying TopGear recently would be my local newsagent no longer stocking it. Car gets bought every 2/3 months and Autocar and EVO I already subscribe to.

Hmmm....This thread suddenly got crazy! I'm not going to join any slagging off or stuff about mine is better/bigger than yours etc. The GTI 5dr version is actually slightly different from the 'competitors' being discussed and the most important thing is whatever it is about your car that 'turns you on': Performance/Driving Feel/Styling of Interior and Exterior/Build Quality/Practicality for your Lifestyle/Extra Options/Cost etc. The GTI rates very highly and some of its competitors are (of course!) really good too but I happen to know my own preference and why should I care about the rest if I don't drive them. I could have ordered a new BMW M5 or X5 etc etc but I was impressed by test driving the GTI and it suits my individual needs much better.

[ QUOTE ]

VW made the mk4 since and that was cr*p (R32 excepted).

[/ QUOTE ]

What was so crap about the Mark IV. My GTI T, was quick, very well built (interior would put the mark V to shame), solid and classy... and all for 18k. What else would that money have got me back then that could have offered me all that? (2000)

LOOK....At the end of the day you choose the car YOU like and you pay your money.....Me,I tried out loads of cars each one more better and more money than the last.That was untill i got to the GTI.I just had to have one.£20,000 plus this and that and then a bit more for the other untill I got to £24,880....thats when you start thinking "well I could buy ..... with that sort of money",But then i'd want leather,big wheels and so on....I just hope that in three years time i haven't lost what i lost on all my other cars(all of been vauxhalls)each time iv'e traded them in

I suspect in three years time those with the VW GTI badge on the front of there car will be laughing all the way to the bank......

DSG GTI + MFSW/Paddles,18"Monza II,Leather and Centre Armrest

All the extras will be worth maybe between 10% and a max 50% of what they cost you on a good day come trade in time.

It won't lose at the rate that the previous Vauxhalls did, but if they start to flood the market with GTIs then the prices will certainly sofen.

The second hand car market might not want a car like a GTI for the money that you might be expecting to get back. When you are pitching up against maybe a 325 BMW in the used market then its tough competition. Time will tell.

[ QUOTE ]

When you are pitching up against maybe a 325 BMW in the used market then its tough competition. Time will tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've obvioulsy never tried to trade a second hand 3 series then?

They have to be the worst. BMW expect you to give them back.

Apart from a 997 or 350Z, the GTI is probably the best metal to be driving at the moment for resale.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

When you are pitching up against maybe a 325 BMW in the used market then its tough competition. Time will tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've obvioulsy never tried to trade a second hand 3 series then?

They have to be the worst. BMW expect you to give them back.

Apart from a 997 or 350Z, the GTI is probably the best metal to be driving at the moment for resale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep my Dads BMs. He got a great deal on the last one, better than we expected so not sure how that works.

The GTI will be doing well for a while, but not sure it will stay like that, VW will have to be careful.

Its not doing as well as the mini did thats for sure. And I can only hope that VWs recent results in quality surveys gets better otherwise their premium status will be affected. Did they get beaten by Vauxhall in one of them in a mag recently. sekret.gif

Well I lost a shed load on my "depreciation proof" R32 and I kept that in new condition.

I also don't CARE about resale value with this car - Cars depreciate - Only a new Merc SLK or Porsche resists it to any degree worth noticing.

Laughing all the way to the bank? Is a GTi going to INCREASE in value then?!!

Lets get real FFS - I've found VWs go down in the "real World" just as much as most other stuff - Not a reason to choose one.

The mk4 was one of the worst handling hatches I've driven. After I sold the R (it kept getting vandalised) I tried Passats, Boras and other mk4 Golfs and all handled very badly indeed. I was in fact shocked.

Seems the new GTi has got "it" back again but please owners of it, don't be an arrogant bunch of muppets that spoil the brand just like the BMW 3 series.

Don't you just think it's all getting out of hand just a tad

There's only one thing your gunna make money on and thats a house.........

I'd prefer a VW to an Audi (unless it was an A8) and wouldn't even consider an Astra. Of course it's going to be faster, a look a the power output would have told them that before they drove it, but it's ugly as sin and will fall to bits in a year by which time it will have been replaced by another model. Even if the Astra had come out first I would have waited for the Golf, there won't be anything like as much a queue for the Vauxhall. Now the Focus ST could be a different matter as that has the power and the looks and probably decent build quality so is likely to be the closest real life competitor to the GTI. If all you want is performance, get the R Type rather than the Arsetra

As for depreciation, my CLK Cab has fetched £30k after 2 yrs against a new price of £37k - now that is good, almost makes up for all the money I've lost on other cars over the yrs Flush.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Well I lost a shed load on my "depreciation proof" R32 and I kept that in new condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason the R32 dropped was because it came out at the end of the Mark IV's life, No car holds up well on an old shape, especailly one that was too expensive to start off with IMO.

[ QUOTE ]

don't be an arrogant bunch of muppets that spoil the brand just like the BMW 3 series.

[/ QUOTE ]

So everyone that drives a 3 series is a muppet- i thought you said you grew out of badge snobbery.

Matt32, No such thing as "depreciation proof"....Every car owner should know that. Only exceptions are models such as the original 1930s Bugattis. Surely we buy cars to enjoy them not to worry about resale values.

I used to own a BMW 3 series....Great car whatever anyone thinks or says...I loved it and I don't care two sh*ts what anyone else thinks (I was the one behind its wheel). For those people among us here who are too hung up on badges and their own image: If the Mk5 GTI EXACTLY as we now know it had been launched with a Skoda badge, would you have still bought it ?

Firstly i would never buy a Vauxhall !!! How on earth can anyone in the right frame of mund compare a vauxhall to a Volkswagon - its ridiculous. Secondly, yeah the VXR might be faster buts it has a cheap crap interior , assembled in UK therefore build quality and reliability issues compared to the german breed!! Ive driven the golf and its fabulous especially the DSG!!! and to me comfort,build quality, badge matter most - call me a snob but i wouldnt be seen dead in a vauxhall ever!!!!

So to sum up Vauhall for boyracers!!!

Volkswagon for grownups!!!

purist wrote:

"So to sum up Vauhall for boyracers!!!

Volkswagon for grownups!!!"

....Pity some grownups can't spell! If someone gave you a Vauxhall VXR as a free present I bet you wouldn't complain, but, like you, I also much prefer the GTI. Each to their own preference.

Britain is full of mock class climbers and many of you fit the bill perfectly by using a CAR to justify your status on this planet.

Hardly any of you have said WHY it's better and while us Vauxhall defenders have praised the mk5 GTi, you lot have piled in to slate a car you've never driven.

Oh well, I'll leave it now but it makes me despair.

As mentioned I haven't tried a VXR yet and it may NOT be as good as a GTI but I haven't prejudged it like all of you sad shallow fools.

Perhaps I'll return shortly when I have my next additional car and witter on about how much better it is than a GTI?

Nope - That would just be childish wouldn't it.

Happy social climbing folks.

OK, just to throw this into the mix.... what do people reckon to the new Focus ST then?

Si.

I think it will be superb.

Just like the Astra, even the base models handle very well indeed.

The ST170 is still one of the best front wheel drive handlers I've driven (engine not so good though).

Of course it's a FORD so therefore not even worth considering is it VW fanatics?

If having driven the ST170 and RS is anything to go by, the new ST (220 Bhp?) should be storming.

Quality on the initial reports looks top notch as well.

A friend has placed a £1K deposit down for the new RS.

He's loving his current one so much that he's trying to work out a way to keep both.

Toxic - Did you like the RS?

I found the torque steer and understeer very nasty of open roads and although it's very quick, it's a bone shaking ride.

I found the ST170 a far more sorted (albeit much slower) car.

Tried a new shape 2.0 petrol and diesel and both are decent cars but a wee bit slow.

[ QUOTE ]

Happy social climbing folks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The beauty of the GTI is that it is classless.

There's people on here that earn a lot more cash than you or i and are more than happy running around in a GTI.

As for a VXR, mid life crisis if ever i saw one.

The RS was a bit too extreme for me.

If I'd had the finances to get one as a second car it would have been perect.

As my day to day drive it couldn't have handled it full time. (Thankfully I've an understanding friend who lets me have a blast now and then 169144-ok.gif )

The ST would have definitley been more useable.

I ended up with an MG ZR160 (I know, I know.) smashfreakB.gif

I collect the GTi Friday now. I'm not going to make out it's the be all and end all of motoring, I suppose I'm just riding that initial new car excitement that we all get.