Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CarMad

Anyone got a copy of Autocar today then ?

166 posts in this topic

The GTI USED to be classless.

Not any more.

It's the new 3 series.

Can't see many middle aged people getting a VXR but who knows - Plenty of old gits and nerds driving about in the R32 and Gti.

[ QUOTE ]

The GTI USED to be classless

[/ QUOTE ]

and what's changed?!?

you got me there confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

OK, just to throw this into the mix.... what do people reckon to the new Focus ST then? Si.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I've no doubt it performs extremely well but as an "old git" who has many years experience driving BMWs I, personally, have no interest whatsoever in owning a Ford. There's something about the styling of them that doesn't appeal to me. I've driven many Ford models but I, personally, simply don't generally like the feel of them - they're okay but they don't excite me. It's not a badge-thing either.

[ QUOTE ]

The GTI USED to be classless.

Not any more.

It's the new 3 series.

Can't see many middle aged people getting a VXR but who knows - Plenty of old gits and nerds driving about in the R32 and Gti.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I think your comments are becoming somewhat obnoxious - Doesn't this web forum have Moderators? I understand your frustration with some attitudes expressed here but your comments are beginning to reflect badly on yourself.

Robin (an "old git" whose last BMW was a 3-series, who can afford the latest BMW M5, but who is about to take delivery of a Mk5 GTI because I enjoyed my long test drive so much and because it best suits my current lifestyle)

Forum is very much moderated, but they are very clear that people are allowed their own opinion.

The right to free speach is certainly not taken away. And I certainly do see any of the comments in this thread as being offensive.

I think its accurate to say that a lot of people who now own a GTI belive themselves to be above a lot of other people.

Having worked with all of the car manufacturers here, I can tell you that the way that VW goes about designing and building its cars is very backward in comparison to a lot of other car makers. Vauxhall and Ford are doing twice as much to get their credability back, but the best are still Japanese and certainly not German.

In fact in Germany, people are turing away from people like VW because they feel that they are ripping them off. In this country when they charge more for a premuim product we think that is has to be better. Well it isn't sorry. The GTI is good, but better quality or made that a Ford or Vauxhall of today it isn't. There are many surveys out that also back it up.

Not having a go, but you are saying that people aren't buying the car on image, and they soooooo are. It is starting to get a bad name for itself in a very 3 series way, which is a shame.

Red - That all sounded fair enough until the line "could have afforded the latest M5, but..."

That ruined it all.

Perhaps you could put a sticker on the back saying "I could have bought a car three times this value just in case you thought I could ONLY afford as £20k car"

The epitome of what I'm getting at tbh.

Matt (an "old git whose last VW was an R32, who could afford the latest 911, but took delivery of a mk5 Astra because I enjoyed the long term test drive do much and because it suits my current lifestyle, justify, justify, getting a Caterham next year, justify....)

[ QUOTE ]

I could have bought a car three times this value just in case you thought I could ONLY afford as £20k car

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to get one of those, but they've all been snapped up by Vauxhall owners

C'Mon LeMan, you can do better than that!

Some of your Vauxhall bashing posts are genuinely amusing.

CarMad - I owe you a pint for conveying a similar message as me in a far better way!

[ QUOTE ]

The GTI is good, but better quality or made that a Ford or Vauxhall of today it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do me a favour. I'm the first to slag of the crud interior of the Mark V, but that comment is just ridiculous

Well look at JD Power results then LeMan.

Come on, you're doing it again.

Making statements with no justification or facts whatsoever.

VW USED to be a lot better built than Ford or Vauxhall.

Not sure if you've noticed but whilst VW went backwards with the dash/interior of the Golf, Ford and Vauxhall leapt forwards with the Focus and Astra.

We had a rental new shape Astra here at work a while ago. Nice looking car. Then I sat inside it, nice spec, but... Yeuch, really not nice at all. Admittedly, I am looking at this from the perspective of a guy that lives with an Audi interior every day, but I honestly can't remember the last time I sat in a car that felt cheaper - and I drive a lot of cars. Just my own honest opinion of course.

Si.

At least it's an opinion based on experience.

I much preferred my R interior looks wise but I don't think they quality was superior - Just looked nicer.

I read the reviews, took the test drives, made my decision all by myself - ordered the car *I* wanted. End of story. Don't give a feck what anyone thinks of me for buying one.

All this "my car is better than your car" belongs in the playground

Just my thoguhts on Badges/Manufacturer's

I care very much the image that comes with a car, its the most valuable bit. Its how most of the population look at cars. Its shallow I know but its true.

Some cars can add age (Mercs) some can take it away (Mini's) , some can add energy (Scoob's) some can take it away (Daewoo) each does its own thing and thats why I personally choose VW. VW do pretty well with an image that suits me. Its a car that fits me and this is what is important to me

[ QUOTE ]

Well look at JD Power results then LeMan.

Come on, you're doing it again.

Making statements with no justification or facts whatsoever.

VW USED to be a lot better built than Ford or Vauxhall.

Not sure if you've noticed but whilst VW went backwards with the dash/interior of the Golf, Ford and Vauxhall leapt forwards with the Focus and Astra.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt, you seem to be presuming that i have no personal knowlege of cars whatsoever. You have no idea how many cars i have had, what cars i have had, what i do for a living, or what i drive now.

I am fully aware of JD power surveys, and i'm also fully aware of the demographics of the type of people that can be bothered to take part in it. It is nearly always won by the likes of the Honda Jazz - cars owned by contented mothers or old biddies that hardly know the meaning of the word 'handling'

I have driven nearly every Ford known to man and i can safley say that every single one of them (in my opinion) had build quality on par with lego. Some were fantastic even electric to drive, but i could never put my cash on one. My car agenda has to have a few more things on it than just outright handling/performance.

You might think that Vauxhalls have come on in leaps and bounds - in driving dynamics, thanks to lotus, yes they have, but in style and build, for me - no they haven't. The best comparism i have read was definately the GTE vs GTI of the late 80's. What a car the GTE 16v was in its's time, but with all Vauxhalls, it just hasn't stood the test of time.

[ QUOTE ]

Some cars can add age (Mercs) some can take it away (Mini's) , some can add energy (Scoob's) some can take it away (Daewoo) each does its own thing

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. Sad, but true.

[ QUOTE ]

Matt, you seem to be presuming that i have no personal knowlege of cars whatsoever. You have no idea how many cars i have had, what cars i have had, what i do for a living, or what i drive now.

I am fully aware of JD power surveys, and i'm also fully aware of the demographics of the type of people that can be bothered to take part in it. It is nearly always won by the likes of the Honda Jazz - cars owned by contented mothers or old biddies that hardly know the meaning of the word 'handling'

[/ QUOTE ]

The Lexus IS200 wining 2 years on the trot an Lexus being the manufacture almost every year not count on that one then ?

Let me see world class manufacture that could buy the entire VW/Audi group for the profits in a year. And the Lexus IS being a true rival to a BMW 3 series and bettering it on an EVO handling day. MMmmmmmm

[ QUOTE ]

The Lexus IS200 wining 2 years on the trot an Lexus being the manufacture almost every year not count on that one then?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a review where a Lexus beats a 3 series, The 3 series is renowned as 'the bench mark' and seeing as though Lexus actually traced the sillouette of the E36 coupe for their IS200, they should know this more than anyone.

[ QUOTE ]

And the Lexus IS being a true rival to a BMW 3 series

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be on paper, but the only reason why people would buy a lexus is because they can't afford the... (insert German marque here)... that offers them the same performance and luxuries for the same money.

I'll leave the 'Japanese Mercedes' to Alan Partridge thanx tongue.gif

BUT Leman (I may need capitals here) THINGS HAVE CHANGED SINCE THE 1980s!!!

I have realised, you haven't.

Of course you have made it very clear that you can afford ANYTHING so therefore your opinion MUST be right.

I see this "opinion" time and time again.

Maybe I can afford anything, maybe not but I look at cars on their merits NOT on how much they cost. If it's a bargain then that's a bonus.

JD Power is about owner satisfaction and quality. If those results count for nothing to you then you really do have a very limited opinion IMO.

You are just slipping deeper and deeper into a pit of right wing Daily Mail reading opinionated arrogant gumph.

I'm sure you have some very valid opinions but you are totally ruining them with what you have written here.

I have slated NOTHING here, you have slated MANY cars.

As for the Alan Patridge comment - Final nail in the coffin.

[ QUOTE ]

Red - That all sounded fair enough until the line "could have afforded the latest M5, but..."

That ruined it all.

Perhaps you could put a sticker on the back saying "I could have bought a car three times this value just in case you thought I could ONLY afford as £20k car"

The epitome of what I'm getting at tbh.

Matt (an "old git whose last VW was an R32, who could afford the latest 911, but took delivery of a mk5 Astra because I enjoyed the long term test drive do much and because it suits my current lifestyle, justify, justify, getting a Caterham next year, justify....)

[/ QUOTE ]

....Unfortunately either I didn't make myself clear enough for you or you missed my point - Being that: In spite of being able to afford such a car as the BMW M5, I have decided that the Mk5 GTI DSG is more suitable for me and I have no intention of selling my GTI as soon as I get it and buying/ordering a Focus or Honda or Renault or Vauxhall or any other good hot hatch. In other words I personally prefer the GTI and, having such a choice as I am very fortunate to have, it says a lot for how good some of us feel the Mk5 GTI is.

It's not a justification but a personal choice (I simply don't need to justify anything to anybody). Nuff said.

See above post:

"Of course you have made it very clear that you can afford ANYTHING so therefore your opinion MUST be right."

In spite of looking at a £1m house that I could easily afford I bought a £200k new build in an estate....

Tell me again how you could easily afford a new M5, I missed it the third time.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The Lexus IS200 wining 2 years on the trot an Lexus being the manufacture almost every year not count on that one then?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a review where a Lexus beats a 3 series, The 3 series is renowned as 'the bench mark' and seeing as though Lexus actually traced the sillouette of the E36 coupe for their IS200, they should know this more than anyone.

[ QUOTE ]

And the Lexus IS being a true rival to a BMW 3 series

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be on paper, but the only reason why people would buy a lexus is because they can't afford the... (insert German marque here)... that offers them the same performance and luxuries for the same money.

I'll leave the 'Japanese Mercedes' to Alan Partridge thanx tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh really.

Well I had an IS200 for 4 years. I could easily have had a 6 cylinder BMW at the time no problem. It was far better looking than the 3 of its time, much more distinctive.

But the 3 was souless in comparison. If you were a reader of Performace Car, now really EVO, at the time it did indeed beat a BMW in the Performance car of the year competition and was the suprise of the day.

It most certainly did beat the 3 series many times at the time, I read the articles myself. But you say that you are into cars, but you obviously didn't read those ones then.

As for the Alan Partridge comment, do me a favour if thats the best that you can do, do you not have an opinion of your own or are you a sheep in disguise.

Oh and my Dad has had 3 of the past 3 series so I do know what I am talking about... before you say the above is rubbish.

You really are a badge snob, where as I prefer to get the best car, ah well.

Mattastra you are are talking dung.gif go and register with www. igotmeselfanastra.com..... yelrotflmao.gif