Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CarMad

Anyone got a copy of Autocar today then ?

166 posts in this topic

I'm not actually mad keen on the grill area - A bit too chromed up and fussy and also a b1tch to get flies off it! Like the bonnet (it's quite compact), rear quarter windows, the back (except the chrome again) and the single lower glass line that run from the wing mirrors to the back - All good. Big lights look decent too I think (and work well).

I can see the A4 cab similarities but the average A4 owner would have a fit if you told them their car slightly resembles an Astra (just like a Continental GT owner would be a bit miffed if you told him his car looked like a Rover 800!)!

Even Jezza Clarkson likes the look which is a shocker!

haha..looks very good actually..the fact of the matter is that, if you don't pay the money then you dont get the goods..which is very much more the case with Vauxhall and Rover!..will you buy the VXR?

Nope - Don't currently need a hot hatch but I'll test one anyway (so I can form my own opinion!)!

The Astra does most things well but it's not really a pulse raiser even though with 232lbft, it shifts (upset an awful lot of cars so far!) and handles well.

Planning on a mad 2nd car for early next year - Westfield, VX220T, 111R or similar to blast around S Wales roads.

Of course I will test them all first and buy purely from a "badge blindness" point of view...

Enjoy the GTi - Despite my 3000 pages of ranting, I do actually like them a lot and miss my R32.

i will!!!i go to uni in exeter and i've been urged to go to south wales and taste the roads!!The westfield is a crazy car...lovely..my personal favourite is the ariel atom (aka deathtrap)..i also like the jaguar one..i cant remember what it's subsidiary name is though!??..U will definitely enjoy the Westfield!amazing car 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

According to What Car.

% value retained (3yrs/36,000mls)

Vauxhall 2.0T SRI - 47% (assuming VXR is about the same)

Audi A3 2.0TFSI - 59%

Volkswagen Golf GTI - 64%

That's a £3400 hit after three years shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

a few things you forgot to add into your calculations.

1:Vauxhall you can normally get a very good discount.

2: Every body on here seems to SPEC up there GTI and so throw thousands of pounds of money down the drain straight away, it will not make them worth any more in the trade in a few years.

3: all these values are a guess and the prices used are TRADE In and new retail. Theres always a big gap between trade in and retail price in anycase.

4: VXR has a far better name and hot top astras have always had a good following something the new SRI has not got due to its looks and handling. SRIs were never as sort after as GTE/GSIs

My £24K R32 sold for £17500 in perfect nick (24k miles) after just over ONE year.

Top of the range car, limited supply, very well made, very sought after.

Hardly minimal depreciation is it?

[ QUOTE ]

Matt, 24k in a year!!?? That's some mileage.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Not really. Matt is a Vauxhall salesman and all salesmen do a lot of miles.

Don't get fired up Matt, I'm only joking and couldn't resist it ! I'm not knocking your open-minded approach to trying all cars irrespective of badge/status but I'm sure you already realise that 99% of people here have committed to the Mk5 GTI and believe thay have made the best choice - for them !

Best Regards from Robin smile.gif

Didn't realise (But should have smile.gif) that was Matt's occupation.

Tee Hee ..... Duck when Matt re-enters the ring !!

I'm not a fecking Vauxhall salesman!!!!

I run (Director but I use the term rather loosely) of a newish fresh produce company having recently sold a potato trading company (30,000 tonnes a year - A lot of mash!) last year.

I'm sure all GTI owners are happy - I would be. But when I got my R32, which I thought was the bees knees, I dodn't feel the need to slate everything else on the market, Astra GSi (the only mk4 Astra I like) and Focus RS included.

Car salesman indeed...

The Focus RS was an amazing car, just 5 years too late.

Astra GSI - i always wanted one of those (got a Calibra instead though). Apparently it wasn't the car that the GTE 16v was. You never see any GSI's about these days, which does surprise me. Bearing in mind you still see lots of basic astras and corsas of that age.

The article is a reflection of the individuals preferences only, and I think the quality/depth in the article or lack if it, reflects the mindset used to test the cars. Basically the test was which is the fastest, and so the vxr wins.

It's interesting that when you look at the details of the article there are loads of errors, to name a few

- best fuel range is the vxr, despite having lower combined mpg and the smallest fuel tank

- test takes no account of non thrash style driving, as the lower compression ration would hurt in gear times on the road

- various errors in technical details column, eg mpg, size, etc

Sounds like this was an attempt to grab headlines and press coverage.

***SHOCK***

A motoring mag trying to grab headlines?!!

I questioned an EVO journo on why he slated the R32 after it had been praised by all other EVO staff.

He more or less said "because it's old news now!!!"