Mitsi Galant type questions

schmoo

ow do

i occasionally buy mags like jap performance and banzai and so forth and neither feature this car... yes i know its not a performance car but its a lot quick than some hot hatches ive seen on there! smile.gif

its not easy sourcing aftermarket stuff for this car, i occasionally spot items on ebay but not very often, and ive found a dealer in middlewich who has ordered me a K&N for it but other than that im stuck

has anyone any suggestions as to suppliers of aftermarket stuff? (dunno what but something is better than owt)

oh and a bloke in work says i drive an old man's car. he drives a H reg astra estate.... arsehole smashfreakB.gif

There are quite a few bits and bobs that you can get for this car. What model do you have?

A good start is the filter. A couple have been tested on clubvr4 and the best option is to replace the panel filter with a K&N replacement. You can put on a cone or mushroom filter but it will need a good cold air feed to make best use of it as the engine bay does get very warm, especially in the V6. All you would be doing is sucking in warm, less dense air.

Then you can decat the exhaust. The cat is a restriction, and although it doesn't offer as much performance gain as it would in the VR4 turbo version, it still would give you gains. Big Dave Akers is the man to speak to about that (again see clubVR4) as he makes bespoke decat pipes for about £40.

Following that you can lower the suspension. There are Eibach kits especially for the Galant is you look around. I think that the code is 6012 or something.

This is just the start though, I am sure that there is a lot more available. I know of bodykits, clear side repeaters, angel eye fitting instructions, exhaust options, etc..can you guess where they all are?

i would have probably gathered this information already but i cant get into clubvr4's forum frown.gif

ive sent a message on their Contact Us bit but heard no reply. do you know who i can get in touch about access?

its the v6 24v model 2.5ltr

it hasnt got the v6 sport gearbox, just normal auto.

ive ordered a k&n from jap imports already, and probably next on the agenda as you suggest is the cat replacement.

however how does this affect emissions and MOT and more importantly does it affect the engine?

The car runs very lean anyway, especially at idle. Some people who have taken off the cat and not put it on at MOT have reported that it passed anyway. If the readings look alright the MOT man probably won't even notice. If he does, just say its an import.

Most garages will swap it over for a £10 anyway, or you can do it yourself, its a doddle.

If you are having problems getting someone to reply, introduce yourself in one of the open forums with a quick note that you want to join (and ColVR4 put you up to it) and you will get some immediate responses.

The person you need to contact is Pete Honey (Spirit). He handles the memberships so just find him under the members list and send him a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

ow do

i occasionally buy mags like jap performance and banzai and so forth and neither feature this car... yes i know its not a performance car but its a lot quick than some hot hatches ive seen on there! smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you are buying the wrong mags. Get yourself a copy of the new mag J-Tuner. They have a massive 14 page feature on the Galant and Legnum VR4's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You boyos seem to know what you're on about with all things Galant! Wonder if I could pick your brains?!?!?

Have always been an admirer of the Galant, particularly the mean looking later models. Am in the awkward position of soon needing a 2 child car to replace my Audi A3, and the Galant is on my possible list! Am keen on the 2.5 V6 (insurance & running cots pending), particularly if I can find an estate! Also not afraid of lopping a new filter on for a couple more ponies!

Is there anything I should look out for or insist upon should I end up on the verge of buying one? Service intervals & large bills? Common faults. Warranty recalls to insist upon? Essential options?

Any help or guidance appreciated!

• 2 months later...

Watch out for worn front wheel bearings as the driveshafts sieze in the wheel bearing. 9 times out of 10 you need a new CV joint, ABS sensor and hankie for tears by the time you get the bu@@er to shift!

The earlier shape one (the one that looks like Wimpey from Popeye) 1800 and 2000 are good at breaking their distributors.

Otherwise under-rated and over-looked car!

• 3 months later...

service intervals are 9k and 55k or thereabouts (need to check on mine) is the cambelt big service. (mine cost me 300 quid)

check for service history (most of the common basics really) also if u get an auto (most common in the uk but u can get manuals) take it for a drive and listen/feel for the gearchange. if there is a bit of a delay then the torque convertor wants to go bye bye. not a massive expense but mine went when i was pootling down the m4 near cardiff gate, i live near preston.

nippy little sod when you are in traffic, oh and the climate control plus leather seats works wonders in all weathers (heated seats in mine!)

anymore info (technical) go to clubvr4.com (it covers all galants not just vr4's

oh if you want a meaty one get a vr4 (2.5ltr v6 twin turbo)

MMMmmm! VR4!

If anyone would insure me I'd have one of those! There was a black manual saloon one on Autotraders website a few weeks ago!

Not a common problem really but if the power steering pump is leaking in your VR4 you need to remove it to identify it. Messy job!