13 replies to this topic

#1 thebra

thebra

Shank's Pony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:14 PM

hi guys can anybody help me please i have two probs first one is i have a bad smell of petrol in the car and the second is the front brake is making a bad screeching noise when i brake? i have checked the car with the on board computer and it comes back normal a ok but i still have these probs please advise ... thanks

#2 Sparky

Sparky

Porsche GT3

• Members
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:16 PM

Welcome to TSN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif

The noise from the brakes is likely to be a stone or something between the pads and discs.

How bad is the smell of Petrol, and is it always when the car is running or just when you fire it up?

#3 Chav

Chav

Porsche GT3

• Members
  • 12,612 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:17 PM

Hi Bra! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/SMOKE6.GIF

Maybe your brake discs are warped?
Not sure what the petrol smell could be.

#4 thebra

thebra

Shank's Pony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:19 PM

hi mate that could be the problem ok with the brakes cause i had a look at them an they seem to be ok..the smell is there then its not but its worse when the aircon is on.. and its very musty smell im wondering is it a pipe or something loses?

#5 Sparky

Sparky

Porsche GT3

• Members
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Petrol, perhaps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

#6 Chav

Chav

Porsche GT3

• Members
  • 12,612 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Petrol, perhaps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A highly plausible hypothesis, Sherlock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/znaika.gif

#7 thebra

thebra

Shank's Pony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

thanks anyway

#8 Sparky

Sparky

Porsche GT3

• Members
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:21 PM

Possibily a loose pipe, but surely you'd notice a slight leak on your driveway perhaps?

If your car wasn't firing properly, I wondered if un-burnt fuel vapor was getting sucked back into the AC unit, but this shouldn't happen when driving I'd have thought.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lads at work solve the brake noise by doing an 80mph to 0mph as hard and as quick as possible to crush the stone.

Not sure if that's wise mind!

#9 Chav

Chav

Porsche GT3

• Members
  • 12,612 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hi mate that could be the problem ok with the brakes cause i had a look at them an they seem to be ok..the smell is there then its not but its worse when the aircon is on.. and its very musty smell im wondering is it a pipe or something loses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Air-con units can give off musky smells if they've not been used for a while. Condensation build up I think?
Blasting the heater on HI for a while sometimes helps, but if it's a distinct petrol smell it's probably not that.

#10 thebra

thebra

Shank's Pony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:24 PM

ya i would notice it if it was that...about the brake thing ya i might try that (when nobodys around).. ys it seems to be coming back into the car but i cant find the place its coming in?

#11 Sparky

Sparky

Porsche GT3

• Members
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:25 PM

Do you notice it more when sat idle with the engine running, or at all times when driving?

Can you smell it more when the AC is on, rhan if the windows were down?

#12 thebra

thebra

Shank's Pony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:25 PM

thanks guys just found this site and its the biz well done.. how do i put a pic of my car alongside my user name if you dont mind telling me..thanks

#13 thebra

thebra

Shank's Pony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:28 PM

ya i notice it more when the aircons on and its running more then when its sat idle.. so much that i wont put the aircon on now

#14 UBM

UBM

Lamborghini Gallardo

• Members
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:45 PM

Is it possible your fuel line is leaking into the air filter. I would get it checked - there has been the odd story of Audi's going woof due to perished fuel lines.....

Take off your engine cover and check the sir filter. It won't be wet probably as petrol is too volatile. Nor will there be puddles of fuel on your drive for the same reason.

Does it get stronger (the smell) when you press the loud pedal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users