Considering chipping your MkV GTI? (poll)

Yahoo

Which company's products do you use?   

1. 1. Which company's products do you use?

• Autoglym
    • Meguiars'
    • Carplan/Simoniz
    • Whatever is on offer.
    • autosmart/concept or other industrial
    • Non-car stuff e.g fairy/ I use a car wash

Basically..as he subtly put it, we have the "option" to get a smoothed rear valance..i.e.not the granulated finish!The paint is similar to that used on the body but specifically for plastic,after the smooth out the valance itself..i believe that it is a factory fitted option and can be also retrofitted later on by the dealer (maybe they will order it)!!if one wants it...i advise to get in touch with your respective dealer asap! bowdown.gif

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any colour coding or changes to the skirts or valances need to be accompanied by 18" Monza's. I just don't think that the 17"'s will visually work with more bodywork.

At present the black parts of the valances and skirts break up the bulbous back end, by reducing the amount of coloured bodywork. Proportionally (coloured body work to wheel size [excluding tyres] the 17's only just provide a sufficient balance on the standard car - whereas the 18" Monza's are the mutts nuts on the standard car. However, if you are introducing more colour coded body work (deeper valances etc) or colour coding the valances and side skirts, the 17"'s will look naff - 18" Monza's are essential.

Whenever we draw or imagine our dream car, the wheels are always disproportionately large to the rest of the car - this just looks good. By reducing the proportions between wheels to body work the car begins to look worse - this is essentially what you would be doing by kitting or fully colour coding the MKV on standard 17" rims.

IMHO I think that there was some logic to VW's failure to colour code the whole of the back bumber - it hides the bulbous curves at the back end (a bit like Vanessa Feltz wearing a pin striped suit!). The best comprimise I've seen so far is where the top half of the rear bumper is colour coded and the bottom 'curved' area is left standard.

Yahoo....I'm now convinced that you are absolutely right! Hence my earlier mentioning of 17" wheel considerations. Even before reading your latest post and reasoning I was thinking that the best solution would be as you say: a partly (upper) colour coded rear valance leaving the rest black and as is.

I'm going to investigate this. The only other thing is that my heart is set on Milltek Quads (call it bling, chav, whatever!!) and so I would have to get the rear valance professionally 'cut' as aftermarket as I cannot imagine any dealer would do this part!

Personally - If I were considering changing the configuration of the exhausts, I would go with a twin setup, with one pipe either side - as with the R32. I think this would look outstanding with the bottom part of the rear valance left standard.

I think that quads are a bit OTT for a MKV GTI - you need at least 400bhp to pull quads off. Otherwise it's like farting down a drain pipe. Plus with those beasts hanging form the back end of your car, your traction at the front end will be affected - think of the counterbalance, you'll be pulling wheelies in 1st, 2nd and 3rd!!

But what do I know - I'm from S****horpe!!

Not sure I agree (probably cos I don't have 18's smile.gif ) but IMO best part of colouring coding is the rear view.......I do too many miles each year & opted for the 17's, this combined with the dealer having one sitting waiting v.close to the spec I wanted on 17's was to good to resist 169144-ok.gif

However if I could have done the 4-6 months wait thing I would have probably gone with 18's wink.gif

There have been lots of complaints about the lack of fully colour coded bumpers on the GTI, but full colour coding is soooo 80's.

Have a look around - most new cars that are fully colour coded are middle of the road MPV's & small hatchbacks etc - Toyota Yaris et al. Most new prestige'ish cars have a 50/50 paint job on the rear - Aidi's, Jags, BMW's etc. I would imagine that in the quest to get wider and deeper boots/rear seating, cars have become chunkier at the rear, so this approach is taken to break up the paint scheme - making them look less heavy.

I don't think this is a cost cutting measure, it's just the modern approach to car design. It might appear to be a backwards step, but aesthetic design is cyclical!

At least the MKV GTI enables you to customise it to suit your personal taste - personally, I think the GTI fully colour coded from the rear makes it look like a standard Peugeot 306, now that surely can't be money well spent!!

[ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with Yahoo, but a bit more paint on the nappy would have been better, just to where that nice curve is above the exhaust (like the S3's).

But the fully CC GTI's i've seen on here actually look more basic IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this totally

I've just come back from peeking at my new car in prep at the dealer's....Having now seen my actual car in the 'flesh' and with this recent discussion in mind, I now am convinced that the best rear treatment is as described by others: Colour coded in upper part only of the stock rear valance. Only the GTI has a grooved channel to visually divide the rear valance....None of the other Mk5 models have that grooved shape.

Yes, my dealer confirmed that they could and would be happy to do it as either aftersale or before handover....It only requires their suitable paint to fill the fine granulations. Didn't ask cost yet but intend to and will report.

BTW I really don't care 2 dung.gifdung.gif whether my pride and joy motor is 1980s or whatever in appearance but I happen to think that the split colour rear looks best of all (like Andy's United Grey pic posted at the beginning of this thread).

I'm now going to post what's new separately.

[ QUOTE ]

Basically..as he subtly put it, we have the "option" to get a smoothed rear valance..i.e.not the granulated finish!The paint is similar to that used on the body but specifically for plastic,after the smooth out the valance itself..i believe that it is a factory fitted option and can be also retrofitted later on by the dealer (maybe they will order it)!!if one wants it...i advise to get in touch with your respective dealer asap! bowdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Another thought....Be aware that the standard rear valance for the rest of the Mk5 Golf range (at least those with twin jet exhausts) will also fit the GTI and could very easily be supplied by VW colour coded. BUT they are different because it's only the GTI that has a grooved channel to visually divide the rear valance. It's a single moulding btw.

I doubt very much if any of a dealership staff are so aware that they even realise this without it being pointed out to them. When I took your advice and discussed it with my dealer they weren't aware and would have painted me a standard Mk5 Golf rear valance then and there (without the groove)....Not groovy enough for my taste!

[ QUOTE ]

Personally - If I were considering changing the configuration of the exhausts, I would go with a twin setup, with one pipe either side - as with the R32. I think this would look outstanding with the bottom part of the rear valance left standard.

I think that quads are a bit OTT for a MKV GTI - you need at least 400bhp to pull quads off. Otherwise it's like farting down a drain pipe. Plus with those beasts hanging form the back end of your car, your traction at the front end will be affected - think of the counterbalance, you'll be pulling wheelies in 1st, 2nd and 3rd!!

But what do I know - I'm from S****horpe!!

[/ QUOTE ]

....Well, I was born in Leeds (mother just passing through!).

I know what you mean - just a little OTT but still looks very aggressive and scary to boy-racers. Best of all would be as attached image but do Milltek produce such an exhaust for the Mk5 GTI (it's not listed, but neither is their quad). Note the only partly colour coded rear valance but I think Caractere's black is shiny frown.gif

So, we are both 'Northern B4stards'!!

post-10081-137914319677_thumb.jpg

thanks red robin and yahoo.

have an approx week build of week 36, i ordered it 13th july. am just awaiting my definate week build.

think ill be running her in and then ill take her down to amd. as part of the running in process of course !!! will try their mkV and see the difference and let you all know.

maybe go down there a few times (get her broken in eaven earlier)

Did you all feel like kids waiting for christmas morning to open your pressies? have test driven the mk V 4 times now. am running out of garages to go to smile.gif

....Currently 12 weeks from build week seems to be realistic. I'm sure you'll hear any improvements/changes here on TSN first!

Yep, Christmas is early this year and, from what others report, from delivery day onwards....Every day is Christmas Day!! Hang on in there....

No problem whatsoever matching any standard VW GTI paint....Body kits are usually supplied primed only and you only have to look up the paint colour code (in manual?) and buy the paint.

If you use a bodyshop rather than VW dealer (who are bound to be more expensive!) then make sure it's a good pro bodyshop and inspect their work and premises. They'll also get the paint if you give them the code.

[ QUOTE ]

you have a sat pick up ?

YOUR A VERY VERY LUCKY MAN !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

....EXTREMELY lucky!! I've now seen my car and, at last, it's all so real! jump.gif

One extra bit of advice....Before I saw mine I was planning all sorts of body kit mods. The only thing I'm still sure about is a Milltek exhaust because the car looks better than I remembered and in photos. Also, as Yahoo reminded me, I only got 17" wheels. I'm simply going to live with my new ride before I decide....I still fancy those Milltek quads! It's the poser in me!

thanks red robin,

wish i could change places with you smile.gif

im 38 and i feel like a big kid at the moment... the quads take me back to when i was 18, but i didn't have the money then frown.gif

also want a bit more power and from what i read the exhausts will really help when chipping.

[ QUOTE ]

thanks red robin,

wish i could change places with you smile.gif

im 38 and i feel like a big kid at the moment

[/ QUOTE ]

....Well, I'm 58! and I still feel like a big kid!!

I don't mind growing old as long as I don't have to grow up!

smile.gif Robin aka RedRobin with a red car, Red Robin Music Productions, and a VW05 RED number plate....I didn't really have a colour choice but I still agonised about the colour! It isn't just girls that consider these things!

Right, my first post:

Having owned an Audi 225TTC from new and recently replaced my unmodified car with a Mk5 GTI, I too am considering a modification and a serial port upgrade via Revo will be available soon. I intend to thake their 5 hour demo on trial and see if the GTI can handle the additional power via the front wheels. I doubt it, I suspsect too much torque steer and wheel spin without modding the suspension. Then the whole reason for owning a mk5 will be lost.

The GTI is amazing and totally unlike my TT which I owned from new. The GTI is a pure driver’s car and I cannot wipe the grin from my face. The TT is more of a Grand tourer, very comfortable on long journeys, but the power deliver, steering and handling were not ideal from stock. I paid a lot of money for a TT and lost quite a bit once Audi decided to add cheaper versions inc FWD only!

My limited experience of the GTI leaves me thinking that cars can be built brilliant to drive. The GTI has a performance better than my TT for 90% of my normal driving. In hindsight, I would have chosen 17 inch wheels just for a more compliant ride. Leather seats are better than my TT, totally supportive. Climate is miles better.

My only criticism is the audio. I have been used to the Bose for the last 30 months, the factory VW is $hite in comparison. If anyone has any cheap ideas to upgrade the sound, then please let me know!

From my own opinion, a simple 10% increase in torque would be handled easily, more than this, and then you are spending money modding, then on tyres being blazed away in smoke without suspension upgrades, then do you lose the GTI experience that is the steering, handling and ride?.

As an aside. I cannot wait for the front tyre to become bald and then put on proper tyres. Goodyear F1’s!

I decided to tell my insurance company about the options on my GTI, significantly, leather and 18's. They thanked me for telling them, amended my schedule and confirmed that in the event of a claim, Privilege would have replaced my GTI with a basic without options! Food for thought!