Considering chipping your MkV GTI? (poll)

Yahoo

Which company's products do you use?   

1. 1. Which company's products do you use?

• Autoglym
    • Meguiars'
    • Carplan/Simoniz
    • Whatever is on offer.
    • autosmart/concept or other industrial
    • Non-car stuff e.g fairy/ I use a car wash

Hi Tunner, welcome to the club......

Nice intro, my wife wanted me to get a TT so it's good to hear your thoughts & saved a few £'s in the process smile.gif

Interesting you would have gone for the 17's, are the 18's a harsh ride?

As for the Audio, Rainbow do some drop in replacements for VW - http://car.rainbow-audio.de/home/home.php?lan=2 and with an amp think this would sort the stero out......it's on my to do list but getting costs for colourcoding right now so it'll have to wait.

Cheers

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Tunner....You make some valid points about GTIs balancing performance with handling.

I too will be interested what I think of the standard sound system (being a musician) and what practical aftermarket options exist.

If anyone doesn't already know: VW offer a GAP insurance which for £130 pa for first 3 years guarantees topping up what your usual insurer would give you in the event of a write-off or stolen car. So, whatever factory options you bought you would receive the full value (irrespective of PX).

[ QUOTE ]

If anyone doesn't already know: VW offer a GAP insurance which for £130 pa for first 3 years guarantees topping up what your usual insurer would give you in the event of a write-off or stolen car. So, whatever factory options you bought you would receive the full value (irrespective of PX).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're considering GAP cover,haggle! I got my cover for £299.

That's interesting! When I picked up/paid for my GTi, there was a lot of pressure to sign up for GAP. When I declined, several of the suits went into a huddle, and returned with a better offer. I wonder how much commission dealers receive on each GAP they sell?

[ QUOTE ]

If you're considering GAP cover,haggle! I got my cover for £299.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Scheiße!! I've already got my Bank Draft ready for today with it all included at the full £330....Never mind....Worse things happen at sea etc.

Come 4pm today I don't think I'll care what the car will have cost me!

I wish they had a demo with the remap only as the change of wheels and exhaust will alter the way it feels as well. I'm not as sure as I was about having it remapped now that I've started to press on a bit more in mine since it passed 1000 miles. Accelerating hard over an uneven road surface has the wheel dancing about in the 4 wheel equivalent of a tankslapper and I'm not sure if more power wouldn't make it more unruly. I'd give anything for it to be rear wheel drive frown.gif

Agreed.

We've just got back from the south coast where I had the chance to have a bit of a "play" around some twisty fun roads now that she's properly run in and loosening up.

I found the same as you, as good as the MkV chassis is, I found that putting too much power down too early in corners or on bumpy straights gets it going slightly unruly. It's easier than I thought to get caught out, ESP/traction control kicked in at times I wouldn't expect and easy to induce understeer.

However I've certainly had fun the past week, the power delivery is fantastic throughout the rev range and is perfect for overtaking down country lanes but I can't help feel that increasing the power too much will recreate scenes like the VXR on Top Gear was doing!

[ QUOTE ]

Only the GTI has a grooved channel to visually divide the rear valance....None of the other Mk5 models have that grooved shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

The GTI rear valance is two pieces which is why it's easier to colour code the top half around the curve.

The front small splitter is also a seperate piece meaning you can leave this unpainted too if you go for coding the front plastic bit too.

The standard (non GTI) Mk5 bumper on the rear is one piece, I happened to see one which was colour coded on the motorway today and even that made it look a whole lot better (IMHO), but nowhere near as good an effect as you get on the GTI split piece.

Hi Andy....I much prefer the 'split' rear bumper too. Thanks for telling me/us about it. In the cold light of day following the night before, I think my beloved GTI looks perfect without body kit mods as I don't ride the race track ever. I still want a Milltek exhaust though (both as audible driving aid and for sexy sounds) and I still fancy their quads so I'm going to investigate having the stock bumper professionally cut and colour code the top part only.

I've had a complete change of mind now I have the car....I don't want to chip because she's plenty quick enough for me and I've already experienced a couple of twitches (well handled by the ESP). She's able to overtake and eat the miles so effortlessly as standard and I'm not interested in road racing other high performance cars....I'm not against showing the GTI's pace to those chav boy-racers on the open road though! But only when it's clearly safe. I've got nothing I need to prove to anyone.

Andy....Exactly my thoughts too (re occasional twitchiness and enough horses under the hood). It was good to read your post because after only one day with my new baby I thought the twitchiness was all down to me. Though to be fair I need to wait a few more hundred miles before making further judgements.

Either way, the 'standard' GTI suits me perfectly. No body kits needed I've now decided but Milltek is definitely compulsory!!

Red/Andy

I too think the power is enough (as do my passangers, radar detector & driving license!) , done 3000 now and in 1st gear under full acceleration, she is scrabbling for grip almost all the time, more power would only agrevate things even more, unless as I was thinking, that it was possible so limit the torque in 1st gear so was the same as standard, then give you full remap teritory in 2nd and above when full grip is resumed???

I suggest a chat with AmD as they seem to be very conscious of not overcooking it and apparently have achieved power and torque curves which are hardly changed in shape. I'm not an expert but AmD do have an excellent reputation.

Personally I'm feeling satisfied with the 'standard' package and its balance. I accidentally started off in Sports mode DSG today....Gosh! Was she ready to go!!

I'm very lucky that these parts (West Dorset/South Somerset/East Devon) have every type of road and therefore a perfect testing ground and great fun as a bonus. Also....sekret.gif....Mr.Plod isn't around much.

Me too, I like the idea of try before you buy by REVO especially when it's in your own car.

Still not too sure about remapping, I want to see more positive posts about it not affecting the handling of the car or producing too much torque steer.

Millteks on the other hand with a small increase in power are still looking like a good option 169144-ok.gif

• 2 months later...

[ QUOTE ]

The simple truth is if you don't want torque steer then buy a rear wheel drive car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being funny, but adding more power to a rear wheel drive car can be just as bad, if not worse, than adding power to a front wheel drive car.

My old Nissan 200sx in standard form was a bit of a handful even in standard form. Too much throttle out of a junction or roundabout or bend and things could go quite ugly, in the wet, it was positively treacherous. When i increased the power on it, it required a very careful right foot, as too much, too soon and i would be facing the wrong way. In the wet, well forget it!

Likewise, in my old Rover Coupe Turbo, i modified it to around 240hp (fwd) and it torque steered scarily but once i had replaced the oe bushes with polyeurethane replacements, this was reduced greatly, but still the torque-steer was there. It was predictable though and nowhere near as dangerous as the Nissan.

I suppose what i'm saying is in an ideal world, everyone should have a 4wd car and then modify that, so the increase in power would be far less corrupting to the overall driving experience and be alot safer to-boot.

Anyway, cars have certainly moved on alot since my old Rover Coupe turbo (which incidentally had arguably the worst torque-steer of any production car) so i dare say that if there is little or no torque steer in standard form on the golf gti mkV, then adding an extra 50 or-so bhp shouldn't pose too much trouble.

Anyway, envelopes and boundaries are there to be found/discovered, so fair play to those who are indeed increasing the power. If anything, keeping all the modified power in check on a fwd car, rwd car or a 4wd car is most rewarding if you get it right.