MPG

chriswastle

An earlier post on here regarding fuel consumption made me sit up and think. I have been drving my GTI carefully ( its only done 800 miles) but do a lot of town work and short journeys at the moment.( kids!)

My fuel consumption has been around 25/26 MPG. So i thought i would try something out.

Went for a short trip into Newbury yesterday( 14 miles)and after some very careful driving ( 60 all the way) i arrived at my destination with the computer reading 40.1 MPG. Can anyone beat that?

BTW had a change of heart on the way back and it was reading 22.8MPG when i got home! this car does everything... beerchug.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have now done about 170 miles on about half a tank of Optimax. I haven't bothered to check the mpg and never have in any car I've ever owned. Perhaps I should look at the GTI's computer but I'm in no hurry to do so because what mpg I get is not going to alter anything. I'm enjoying learning to drive her too much to check out any of the clever readout systems yet.

I'm sticking to D-mode (DSG) and 5K revs and 100mph for the first 600 miles and that's sometimes difficult as she just begs to be driven harder when the road conditions allow.

Pottering home from work yesterday (yea sunday!!) the 50 mile round trip and with the Sunday traffic at approx 120Km/hour i achieved 6.8L/100KM, thats 41.5MPG...wow!!!Here in boggo Ireland we are in KM/hour now...Have to say even now with a new engine this is good MPG, of course I won't go into town MPG or when I give it a good slap on the back B roads here...G there all like that...Thats why rallying is so popular here I guess.

2600 Miles at an average 31.9 (trip 2 setting), lots of town traffic, plus the odd run down to Bristol/Wales/Silverstone (all motorway).

Only ever used standard unleaded (95 RON) in her so far, and no ill effect felt yet. May stick some super in to check the difference in performance.

My best was a constant 46.2mpg, I was doing 60 down the M3 though as I wasn't in a rush.

Managed to get 400 miles out of one tank, thats been my best so far.

ON average I get between 35mpg & 41mpg, I have a manual andhave not done 6450 miles

Wow!

Impressive figures. I'm lucky if I get mid 20s on a long run in my subaru and that's driving conservatively. generally 220 miles and I start looking for a petrol station

On the other hand it's easy to get 40 MPG + in the Lotus. Tho' again I start looking for a petrol station after 200 miles (but it only has a 34 litre tank)

For what it's worth:

30.9mpg on 320m DSG using D-mode 98% of the time.

26.4mpg on 18m DSG using S-mode 40% of the time.

Terrain: Mixture of fast open roads (100mph eeeeasy) and 60mph twisties and 30mph lanes and 20-30mph villages and single tracks, all in sunny West Dorset/East Devon/South Somerset.

Will report mpg again after trip this weekend to M20/M25 area via Southampton > Worthing > north and return via M25 > M3 > A303.

Must remember to wear my boy-racer GTI cap in the Southampton area especially for LeMan! wink.gif

Without being cheeky, could it be driving style that makes such a difference?

I have the instant consumption display on my BMW and its amazing the different a little extra pressure on the throttle makes, much greater consumption without changing the speed of the car. Its taught me to be easy on the peddle when cruising (and to use C control on longer journeys)

No doubt at all driving style will make a big difference. Most of my driving is on A/B roads, doing a LOT of overtaking, almost constantly in sport mode too, but I don't mind, if I wanted economy I wouldn't be buying a GTi. For 200 of the finest German Horse Power, I can't complain!!

P.S. Mine seems happiest on BP ultimate.