Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chriswastle

MPG

74 posts in this topic

Just be glad you didn't buy an Astra VXR - full report in the new Autocar says it averaged low 20's (from memory) while pottering around, and 7 mpg whilst performance testing. They were also the second mag to claim they couldn't get near the manufacturers claimed performance figures also. Interestingly, the golf reviews in various mags show the VW performance claims to be quite conservative.

Si.

You may find, whilst 'performance testing' ie Track day or similar, you'll get single figure MPG also in the GTi, otherwise your probably not tyring hard enough anyway......

I am trying, but the best I've managed so far is 20.2 on a good blast cool.gif. I'm sure I can do better and get it into the teens.

[ QUOTE ]

Aswall - It's now done 3400 miles and I have noticed a small improvement since new, so as you correctly say, it may get better in future.

But what really gets me is that the GTI over reads by 10% - so not only does it make you think you are getting quicker performance/better fuel economy than you really are (therefore nearer to VW's consuption figures), but when you come to sell your car, people think you've done more mileage than you really have - think about that, when you come to sell in 3-4 years, you have 70k on the clock, wheras really you've only done 63k!!!! shocked.gif

To me that says a lot less Pounds in your Pants toward your next motor. mad.gif

Does anyone know if you can have the speedo/odometer recalibrated to correct it? - Or can the VW dealer do it???

Cheers, Buzz. confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is bad, mine reads 4% over which is around the same as the BMs/Mercs that I've had. I'd go back to the dealer and see if they can sort that, it's on the maximum legal percentage of error and that's just not good enough on a car capable of such a high speed

[ QUOTE ]

I am trying, but the best I've managed so far is 20.2 on a good blast cool.gif. I'm sure I can do better and get it into the teens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same as mine grin.gif Got to see how low we can get it, but very short journeys don't count cos I got 9.7 mpg going to the corner shop the other night 169144-ok.gif

I'm aiming for 18mpg - should be possible

[ QUOTE ]

If car speedos are typically +5mph at M'way speeds (70mph?) then it does seem to potentially throw up a technicality in law that Mister Plod could not argue with...."Begging your pardon m'lord, but I can prove that I was driving at 69mph and not at 74 as alleged."....Hmmm....My example would hardly work as you are unlikely to get pulled for doing 75 in a 70 limit. But, says he rambling on, might it be more critical for "I was driving at under and not over 100mph as alleged m'lord." which carries an instant disqually.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the reason for the "guideline" i.e. not legally enforceable, of speed limit + 10% + 2mph commonly used by police authorities. They use calibrated equipment so it doesn't matter what speed you say you were going as it's their readings they go by. As an additional point, it is your responsibility legally to ensure your speedo is accurate, saying it was reading lower is not a valid legal defence. Whether you took it up with the dealer/manufacturer afterwards would be up to you, but you are the one that would get prosecuted

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same as mine grin.gif Got to see how low we can get it, but very short journeys don't count cos I got 9.7 mpg going to the corner shop the other night 169144-ok.gif

I'm aiming for 18mpg - should be possible

[/ QUOTE ]

I often find myself popping to the corner shop, but it turns into a 20 mile round trip, with 15.2 mpg....

[ QUOTE ]

I often find myself popping to the corner shop, but it turns into a 20 mile round trip, with 15.2 mpg....

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you fekr.gif Right, new target of sub 15mpg then 169144-ok.gif

wondering whether it is possible to get a digital display of the speed on the computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you fekr.gif Right, new target of sub 15mpg then 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A long motorway cruise in first gear should probably do it smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or at least give you an excuse to visit your friendly local dealer! wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or at least give you an excuse to visit your friendly local dealer! wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

take it on a track day, that should do it,

[ QUOTE ]

wondering whether it is possible to get a digital display of the speed on the computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

No but there is apparently a way to get it to display on the air con console.

I have just been back and re-read the full Autocar Astra VXR review...

VXR MPG - Touring 23mpg, Average 18mpg!!

OMG, that's dreadful. dung.gif

Their in-gear times compared with their in-gear times for the Golf also made interesting reading - although the Astra is a little quicker up top, the golf is definitely more tractable lower down, and by all accounts, far more driveable.

Si.

29.5 mpg overall for 1,120 miles. Varied driving in DSG D and S-modes but only now exploring the paddles.

Sorry, but who cares what the VXR does! Still it's comforting to know I suppose. Thanks simkna.

yeah who cares what mpg the VXR does when it's leaving us behind at the lights FIREdevil.gif

Only kidding, it'll probably still be trying to put the power down while we're away. 169144-ok.gif

There's more garbage on mpg being spouted over at UK-MkV again, someone claiming an AVERAGE 450 miles from a tankful in a Mk5 GTI suicide.gif

This forum definitely has fewer "imaginary owners" and is all the better for it 169144-ok.gif

It's a shame though as there are some very knowledgable people over there but they are in a minority. Be good if we could bring them over into this forum and leave all the plonkers behind

[ QUOTE ]

There's more garbage on mpg being spouted over at UK-MkV again, someone claiming an AVERAGE 450 miles from a tankful in a Mk5 GTI suicide.gif

This forum definitely has fewer "imaginary owners" and is all the better for it 169144-ok.gif

It's a shame though as there are some very knowledgable people over there but they are in a minority. Be good if we could bring them over into this forum and leave all the plonkers behind

[/ QUOTE ]

....I agree! Plus UK-Mk5 is tricky to navigate to find what interests you....TSN mucho better!! Thanks TSN guys 'n gals 169144-ok.gif

How about PMing the good guys over there (HeadHunting!)?

I haven't worked it out accurately yet (it ain't gonna stop me driving) but I reckon I recently did about 340 miles on a full 55 litre tank of Optimax....and that's mostly D-mode with a bit of Sporty as needed. Bit different from the claimed 450 miles....Silly Merchant Banker!! Gee....I only got a max of 400 miles out of a standard Mk4 1.6 Golf!

My best on a tankful has been 355 mls (by driving like a granny for quite a way as I'd underestimated the distance to the next petrol station)

By the way, I didn't mean any offence to anyone in this forum who isn't actually a GTI owner, I meant the ever growing army of (usually) kids who claim "facts" for or against various cars when it is plain as day they've never driven them and certainly don't own them. There was a recent incident on a US BMW site where 1 big time major poster who was always shouting down anyone who disagreed with his "expert opinion" was exposed as not even having a car license, let alone the M3 he claimed to have. He was outed when the photographs of "his" car were recognised by the owner who PM'd another site member

For anyone interested, the maths is fairly simple:

The GTI tank holds 12galls (55ltrs) so if you average 30mpg a full tank will take you approx 360 miles and so....

34mpg = 408m

32mpg = 384m

30mpg = 360m

28mpg = 336m

26mpg = 312m

24mpg = 288m

22mpg = 264m

20mpg = 240m

The main purpose of such 'useless information' is that once you get to know your own average mpg you then have a clue how much further your last quarter tank will take you to a petrol station. I'm building up my own list of Shell Optimax stations for various journeys I drive.

Duh! Robin, Duh!!....I think the GTI's computer will read out how many miles you've got left in your tank!! It's called Fuel Range. Still, I personally prefer to quickly use the computer in my head rather than start fiddling with buttons for readouts while driving.

Having done all these calculations it would be a waste not to post it! I hope it's useful for someone!! suicide.gif

That seems about right, I'm getting between 315 and 340 miles a tankful (regardless of fuel type)

Mornin' Aswall (nice day for a drive down here....except for tourists!!)....

Yep, my figures can only be guides but comparing with your experience they seem to be fairly realistic. 169144-ok.gif

Morning Robin. Bit crap here, was sunny first thing but black clouds coming over now and wind getting up. Have just cleared my house guests out and contemplating giving the old girl a good rub down and polish. I paid 96.9p yesterday in Manchester for ordinary unleaded, that's the most I've ever paid - the £1 litre looks like being only a matter of weeks away frown.gif

Off topic but is anyone else finding their shiny new exhausts looking like crap already and no amount of polishing brings them back?

....Yes, but haven't tried cleaning them because am awaiting Milltek Quads: -- smile.gifsmile.gif ----- smile.gifsmile.gif --

Off out....Catch ya later 169144-ok.gif