Phat Box or iPod

Cleybrooke

Has any one fitted the Phat box to a MK5? (with out sat)

Fellow on eBay is selling the path box for £169 which sounds good – except the web site says they do not fit the Mk5. My question is what will the display say on the head unit? Would be able to select the album and track?.

Or should I go the ipod route. Some one had a picture of an OEM for the iPod in the arm rest – what do you think the display would read then?

Thanks for your help

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know much about the Phat box, but Im interested in the answer as Im thinking about the same thing.

I do know that i you use the ICE>Link kit to connect your ipod then the stereo display will not display the track name, so I guess you'd want to mount the ipod somewhere near (not in the glovebox for instance). Only worry then is that you leave it there and the car gets broken in to.

I remember well my MkIII GTi that got broken into all the time confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Everything you read is true!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard you're a cross dresser Red? smlove2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....I'm literally laughing out loud!! Excellent!! What can I say?....I'm not gay but my boyfriend is!

Joking apart, a good friend of mine divorced her husband when she learnt that her guy was a cross-dresser....Scary! That hippy hitchhiker girl I gave a lift to on Saturday told me that it was the guys in suits who were generally the weirdoes when giving lifts....then she invited me to a party!

[ QUOTE ]

That hippy hitchhiker girl I gave a lift to on Saturday told me that it was the guys in suits who were generally the weirdoes when giving lifts....then she invited me to a party!

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's true, it really is easy to pull in a GTI smirk.gif

I'd better not tell my better half or she might be stealing the keys

Hi Scott....Nothing sad about that, mate! The GTI is definitely a car to get excited about. Some people you know might think you're sad and others may exhibit jealousy, and also some are more concerned how much you're spending as if it was their money!! But who cares! It's you who will be enjoying the experience....Life is for living!

AndyW....It's still early days and I am single again, so the GTI (in Red only!!) may have pulling power!

I know this thread has gone a bit mental but i bought a Phatnoise from a website, i spoke to the guy first and he said that not only will it fit the standard stereo in the car but also that the lead should already be there. Having said that, its not going to arrive til the weekend so i dont know any more than that!

Welcome calmac....You'll quickly learn that it helps to be a bit mental to drive a GTI! But, apart from the occasional good laugh and tease, you'll get some excellent impartial advice and learn a lot here. Btw, I don't work for TSN!

Please keep us informed about your Phatnoise.

He didn't mention the display, i am not sure if i can mention the website on here! I am thinking of putting it under the front passenger seat, it looks nice and tidy and will be less hassle than putting it in the boot. I am going to email the guy and ask him about the display.

I'm installing a Phatbox too.

From my research I have found (no structure to this):

1. No standard VW H/U (inc Sat NAV) will display track names or album art.

2. With an add-on you can get the Phatnoise to read out track names out not just grouping/playlists etc.

3. The U.S based Phatbox will not work with MFD2 (Sat nav)

4. You can upgrade the cartridge with a bigger laptop HD 100GB max.

5. Under the seat seems the only place to put it.

These are answers to questions I wanted to know, hopefully they will help.

Gents,

I'm interested in buying one of these too. Please post once you've installed it (with pic would be fab) and let us all know how you got on. smile.gif

The website says that track info will be displayed, but that may just mean track numbers and times. Also it implies that the CD cables should be there if you want to go for a boot mount, placing the Phatbox where the cd autochanger would go.

Hi Scott,

RE: Track Info

yes sorry should make that clear when I mean it doesn't display track info it doesn't display track names but DOES display the track number.

RE: Cable

In the MkV golf the place for the CD changer is the centre arm rest the phatbox will not fit in the center arm rest, this leaves the boot or under the seat as it won't fit in the glove box either. The boot doesn't have a cable going to there already and there is no ideal space in the boot, the easiest solution I have seen (thanks to mikemod) is to velcro it under the seat to the floor. this seems like the best option

Hi Lagrian,

Thanks for that, the link was exactly what I was looking for - I'd forgotten the CD changer in the Golf is under the armrest notworthy.gif

Still interested on how everyone else gets on with their installs and what they think, I'm trying to choose between an ipod link and the phatbox UHOH7.GIF

I'm considering getting a phatbox too, connected to the standard RCD300, I'm waiting until the car comes to make a final decision in case i want to change the HU, but assuming I don't can you have the cd changer and phatbox connected to a RCD300 at the same time? Phatnoise Website says yes if it supports this if the unit supports multiple changers, any one know? thx