Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotty

New A3 - Prices and Details

38 posts in this topic

Here are the official details on the new Audi A3.

The time table for roll out, specs, prices, etc

This is extremely hot off the press and as normal with me providing early info, be prepared for the dealers not to be up 100% up to speed yet, if you pay them a visit tomorrow.

Info Here

Thanks for that Scotty, I see the DSG box is pretty pricey at £1400, also I note that the SE comes with whey ghey Wood inlay. I wonder if they can remove that?

Thanks for the info scotty - its good to have someone in the know.

Spot on ScoTTy, nice to see that it comes with a Thatcham 1 security fitted as standard !! Had alot of grief over my S3 which is only Thatcham 2.

Cheers again

Graham

Do you think it is still possible for there to be an S3 made avalivle. I mean the surrent S3 is virtually the same price as the 3.2. If they brought it out it will appeal to a different customer base becasue further options will bring the car price even higher. I mean it would be way out of the R32's league (what a turn around!!)

beerchug.gif

I picked up the brochure on Saturday, but the dozy bint of a saleswoman I spoke to was new, and couldn't figure out how to get into the computer to get to the price list ('cos that's the only place they have it at the moment).

Did anyone notice that there is no spare wheel for the A3 any more. Under std equipment, it listed a can of gunk and a 12v compressor !!!! Cheeky feckers - anything to save weight and costs.

I also noticed that lots of things that once were standard are now extras - things like heated door mirrors (yeah, I know they've been non-standard for a while now), ciggy lighter and ash-tray (not that I smoke) and cargo nets on the rear of the front seats!!!

I suppose it's nice to be able to only have to pay for the things you really want on the car, but on the other hand it must make it more complicated for their production lines, and these are sort-of hidden costs which add a lot to the overall price of your car.

Oh, and you can't get Imola Yellow any more, so Tony will be sad. However, you can get Toucan Yellow now - which looks like a mucky version of Imola in the brochure. Probably not loud enough for Tony though smile.gif

I agree S4dreamer, they seem to have taken a step back in terms of standard kit, the SE doesn't appear to have alcantara anymore either.

I had expectec this car to be more luxurious and better soecced but it seems that's not their plan.

Which makes me wonder how well it can stand up to the stiff competition from the Leon and GOlf...

[ QUOTE ]

Spot on ScoTTy, nice to see that it comes with a Thatcham 1 security fitted as standard !! Had alot of grief over my S3 which is only Thatcham 2.

Cheers again

Graham

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm

that's interesting,I was informed by Audi that my S3 03 has Thatcham 1 fitted !!

do you think that either when the upgrade was made to 225bhp or possibly this years specs., the alarm system rating was changed???

cheers

RichardH sekret.gifconfused.gif

Richard, I've got a letter from Audi UK stating that my car (March 2001) is only Cat 2. It hay have change with the revised 225bhp bits but who do you trust.

Graham

thanks for the info. I'll get in touch with my local Audi and check

best wishes

Richard.

beerchug.gif

Richard,

I presume you have 225bhp S3 ?. If so, I would be interested in the outcome of your enquiry.

Cheers,

R

Like it mate, moving pics are the way forward. beerchug.gif

post-1352-137914245154_thumb.gif

Yeh,

Thanks for the tips m8 and also to Shao Kahn !. Didn't find one quite as funny as yours and Shao's though......but still looking. beerchug.gif.

Colin's and Chris P's are also amongst my favourites. Chris P's animated gif still cracks me up every time I see it ! yelrotflmao.gif

Cheers,

R

[ QUOTE ]

Richard,

I presume you have 225bhp S3 ?. If so, I would be interested in the outcome of your enquiry.

Robin

will do. sekret.gifbeerchug.gif

Cheers,

R

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Richard,

Cheers,

R

[/ QUOTE ]

Robin

the technical dept at my local Audi showrooms states that the UK spec S3's have Thatcham 1 alarm ratings.

Colin M suggests checking with Thatcham. As long as your insurance co. knows that your car is a 'full UK spec.' Audi S3 they should be able to decide what classification it is.

sekret.gifbeerchug.gif

RichardH

The S3 is not listed with Thatcham at all ! been there myself already, just get the dealer to give you a letter stating what they've told you. Remember Audi UK told me its only Cat 2 confused.gif

Richard,

Thanks for the update. I think I completed my last insurance policy details on-line and they only asked my if it was factory fitted or after-market so I am OK for the rest of this policy year at least. However, I will probably change insurers next time around as Admiral only cover the base model (no options) or maybe go for Gap insurance if I can't find another insurer who will cover my options, so yours and Hopsta'a info on alarm categories is useful. beerchug.gif Something I need to look into well in advance of the policy renewal date.

Cheers,

R

Whenever I have got insurance quotes, I have been asked "does your car have a Thatcham 1 alarm?". My answer is always, "I have no idea, it is the manufacturers standard alarm/immobiliser". Never seems to have caused a problem or hiked premium.

The ABI site shows the S3 as T2. I think it is wrongly classified there as it meets all the criteria for the Class 1 system per the Thatcham listing.

[ QUOTE ]

The S3 is not listed with Thatcham at all ! been there myself already, just get the dealer to give you a letter stating what they've told you. Remember Audi UK told me its only Cat 2 confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham

this is what my Audi service dept said.- 'Richard after asking techs they advise that U K spec car have a Thatcham 1 rating .' he did go on to give a caution on imported models and uk specs blah blah !!!

RichardH

rocketwhore.gifbeerchug.gif

The plot thickens....

You would have thought that Audi UK would have got their act together on basic questions like this. Hopsta's efforts seem to have produced the most conclusive information to date, but based on Colin's advice I am wondering if it is a case of who you talk to ?. I thought there was a Thatcham website where they listed the categories of all the cars they have tested. For insurance deals over the phone it is certainly my experience that the particular stance of an insurance company depends upon who you talk to and I have written to my insurer stating this and received a long apologetic response. However basic information like the category of the security system must surely be core data for Audi UK and hardly a difficult question ?. Confused... confused.gif

Cheers,

R

[ QUOTE ]

Did anyone notice that there is no spare wheel for the A3 any more. Under std equipment, it listed a can of gunk and a 12v compressor !!!! Cheeky feckers - anything to save weight and costs.

I also noticed that lots of things that once were standard are now extras - things like heated door mirrors (yeah, I know they've been non-standard for a while now),

[/ QUOTE ]

so is ScoTTy's info incorrect - it lists space saver spare and elctric operated/heated mirrors as std spec across the range

[ QUOTE ]

so is ScoTTy's info incorrect - it lists space saver spare and elctric operated/heated mirrors as std spec across the range

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that things can change. The info was correct at the time but has since been enhanced crazy.gifgrin.gif

The A3 brouchure states "Tyre mobility system with 12 volt compressor and tyre sealant, under the floor of luggage compartment; alternative as option at no extra cost a space-saving spare wheel"

ScoTTy, I for one really appreciate the insider info you are able to relay to us, thanks buddy.

From the information you have do you think the A3 3.2Q Sport will be a sporty car in the way the S3 and R32 are or do you think it will be a fast cruiser type car and the RS3 the sporty one?? I can't decide whther to opt for an R32 for a while but don't want to get caught out if the A3 will be sporty.

That's exactly what I'm trying to find out. I'm amazed peopel are rushing to an old model (i.e. R32) when a new car which has a better chassis (apparently and it should be since it's quite a few years newer) is just coming out.

The 3.2 Sport does have sports suspension but I am unsure on much more. The R32 and A3 are aimed at different markets (so I've been told) so maybe this answers our questions. crazy.gif

Then again I've also been told that out of all the VAG range (in this size - i.e Golf, A3, TT) then A3 3.2 sport is the one to go for!